The Student Room Group

URGENT- please help!!

Are A-level geography and biology classed as the two sciences needed for dentistry, pharmacology etc. at university?
You need chemistry too for dentistry.
Reply 2
Ohh ok thank you. But for things such as pharmacology, do you know if geography is classed as a second science?
Original post by vh006
Ohh ok thank you. But for things such as pharmacology, do you know if geography is classed as a second science?

No - geography is a humanities subject, not a science. 'Science' subjects are biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Sometimes psychology is accepted, but usually it's the former list.
Original post by vh006
Are A-level geography and biology classed as the two sciences needed for dentistry, pharmacology etc. at university?

Not normally for dentistry and pharmacology. As noted I think all dental schools require A-level Chemistry. Chemistry would probably be the most relevant second science for pharmacology (or pharmacy - they are not the same thing!) as well, indeed for all bioscience subjects.

Geography is sometimes accepted in lieu of another science for earth sciences courses (e.g. geology, oceanography, earth sciences, environmental science, climate science etc) because there's more of a tangible connection between the subjects there. No relation to the subjects you are considering though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
No - geography is a humanities subject, not a science. 'Science' subjects are biology, chemistry, physics, maths and further maths. Sometimes psychology is accepted, but usually it's the former list.

Alright, thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Not normally for dentistry and pharmacology. As noted I think all dental schools require A-level Chemistry. Chemistry would probably be the most relevant second science for pharmacology (or pharmacy - they are not the same thing!) as well, indeed for all bioscience subjects.

Geography is sometimes accepted in lieu of another science for earth sciences courses (e.g. geology, oceanography, earth sciences, environmental science, climate science etc) because there's more of a tangible connection between the subjects there. No relation to the subjects you are considering though.

Alright, thank you. Do you know if chemistry or physics would be a better option for courses such as dentistry, pharmacology or optometry as in my GCSEs I was stronger in phyics?
Original post by vh006
Alright, thank you. Do you know if chemistry or physics would be a better option for courses such as dentistry, pharmacology or optometry as in my GCSEs I was stronger in phyics?

I think either is acceptable for optometry courses - I imagine physics would be useful background for the refraction training optoms do as well. I'd recommend double checking the requirements of some courses you may want to apply to though.

Physics isn't really relevant for pharmacology, and I imagine most courses would be looking for biology and chemistry. There might be some that just accept biology and physics, but you will be doing chemistry related stuff in a pharmacology degree (more than other bioscience degrees), so chemistry is more useful and probably more indicative of the course content.

From what I hear once you're ON the degree itself, physics is somewhat more prevalent/useful than chemistry for dentistry. However you still must take chemistry to meet the entry criteria - there's no getting around this and as far as I'm aware all dental schools require A-level Chemistry. So the only option would be bio/chemistry/physics or bio/chem/anything else for dentistry.
Reply 8
I think either is acceptable for optometry courses - I imagine physics would be useful background for the refraction training optoms do as well. I'd recommend double checking the requirements of some courses you may want to apply to though.

Physics isn't really relevant for pharmacology, and I imagine most courses would be looking for biology and chemistry. There might be some that just accept biology and physics, but you will be doing chemistry related stuff in a pharmacology degree (more than other bioscience degrees), so chemistry is more useful and probably more indicative of the course content.

From what I hear once you're ON the degree itself, physics is somewhat more prevalent/useful than chemistry for dentistry. However you still must take chemistry to meet the entry criteria - there's no getting around this and as far as I'm aware all dental schools require A-level Chemistry. So the only option would be bio/chemistry/physics or bio/chem/anything else for dentistry.

Thank you so much! I think I’ll change Geography to chemistry then
Original post by vh006
Thank you so much! I think I’ll change Geography to chemistry then

Do consider though if you will actually succeed in chemistry, as if you aren't confident in it, you may well struggle in degrees requiring it even if you do get the grades needed (and you're less likely to get the grades in the first place). If you are interested in geography, do well in it, and enjoy it, it'd be better to do that than try and force yourself into another subject because you think it will have better options (particularly if it transpires those options aren't good options for you)!
Reply 10
Do consider though if you will actually succeed in chemistry, as if you aren't confident in it, you may well struggle in degrees requiring it even if you do get the grades needed (and you're less likely to get the grades in the first place). If you are interested in geography, do well in it, and enjoy it, it'd be better to do that than try and force yourself into another subject because you think it will have better options (particularly if it transpires those options aren't good options for you)!

I’ll think about it and decide later then. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest