Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to choose for my A Levels. Just been to an open evening at my probable Sixth-form and thought it is best to start deciding. I'm not too sure what I want to do as a career, I want to go to university and go into something probably involving law/maths/finance but i'm not set on anything yet.

I'd say i'm one of the better students at GCSE and have A/A*'s in the majority of my subjects although the main examinations are obviously to come.

The only subject i'm currently confident on choosing is Economics as I quite enjoy business studies and think i'd really enjoy Economics. I'm thinking about Maths, mainly because i'm good at it. I have completed two modules out of three in my maths course at GSCE and have only dropped one mark out of the whole course so far, I probably won't do so well on the final module but i'm very confident i'll get an A*. What is maths mainly based on at A Level? Is it alot of Algebra etc?

As for the other two i'm not too sure. I'd say an option from RE (i'm quite good at GCSE and find it interesting), English Lit (not brilliant at english but I heard it can help with Uni applications), Geography (do it at GCSE and find parts interesting but what are the main topics at A Level?), Law (I heard it's not very good even if your interested in taking it at Uni).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely go for Maths. It depends on the module. At AS, C1 and C2 are mainly algebra. Since you're evidently good at Maths, you'll be fine at A-level.
    If you ever think of taking law, English Literature is advised as well.
    English Lit., RE, Maths and possibly a science or a language.
    But, don't take Law. As well as not being liked, it's said to be very tedious.

ReputationRep:
    well i can answer the bits on maths and geography for maths it is mainly based on calculus and algebra. For me it has been differentiation and integration most of the time. I enjoyed the course though. Are you considering statistics or mechanics with it? I think it depends on the exam board on what the main topics are for geography. I've done glacial environments, fieldwork (rivers), weather system stuff, LEDCs, urbanisation, i can't remember the rest for AS, have just started A2 and am doing hazards of change which is volcanoes/earthquakes etc and then burglary and transmittable diseases. I'm not sure if that helps at all but good look choosing.

ReputationRep:
    Maths AS has two pure units and one applied unit (Stats, mechanics, decision), same for A2, Algebra just is maths, its a core part of nearly everything . You need maths for finance. Literature would be useful for law, but dont do it if you dont enjoy it or arent great at it, history is a stronger alternative for law. RE is fine for law. Geography isnt a 'top notch' subject, but neither is it low down the ladder, cant see how skills there are relevant to law/finance though tbh. Law isnt a respected subject at all, unis in general would rather history/lit/philosophy which provide a more thorough grinding.

Remember the above are generalisations, nothing is black and white.

For mathematics at uni you should consider FM, dont take it lightly though... oh and i say this to everyone, but relax, you can change your options in september if you wish.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Economics, RE.

Then possibly a humanity if you prefer law possibly english lit or further maths if you want to go down the maths/economics route. Unless of course you going completely random and choose a science :p:

ReputationRep:
    Easy answer -

Maths
    Economics
    English Lit

Either Further maths, geography or history, or a language is probably best for the 4th. Or do 5 in total.

Avoid business studies or law, they are not highly rated.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about Maths and Economics then.

English Lit or Law probably aren't the best for me but i'm struggling to choose a good two subjects to go with my preffered two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gawge)
    I'm thinking about Maths and Economics then.

English Lit or Law probably aren't the best for me but i'm struggling to choose a good two subjects to go with my preffered two.
    It would help if you told us what subjects your doing now and your level of interest in them.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, definitely take Maths. The pure contains trig, algebra, differentiation & integration, co-ordinate geometry and lots more. Then you'll either do stats, mechanics or decision maths.
    RE or Eng Lit or Geog sound good. What about history or a language?

ReputationRep:
    Do maths, especially if you are good at it, which you appear to be. It really is the easiest A-level if you are a natural - the same cannot be said for something like history where you are gonna have to work quite hard regardless of intelligence.

Just pick subjects you enjoy, will do well at, and keep doors open for you.

ReputationRep:
    I currently do Business Studies (I enjoy), Geography (enjoy some parts, mainly human geography) and ICT (don't mind) as options. As for my other subjects I do RE (enjoy and find interesting), French (don't paticulary enjoy, i'm mediocre at the subject and will probably get a B), Science (didn't choose higher science but got an A* in my first GSCE and have just started my second science GSCE, I find science OK but a little tedious at times.

Does not choosing a subject at GCSE make it not suitable for choice at A-Level? For example I haven't done history since year 8, would it still be a good idea to choose at A Level.

Same for science, I have done core GSCE but not higher science.

ReputationRep:
    If you are a high A* and A student I would be looking at the Cambridge University lists of subjects that are of 'lesser preparation'. Nobody told me about these when I chose my A-Levels and as a result I am slightly disadvantaged (Even though the list is from Cam, most of the top university's have similar lists of subjects)

I don't want to tell you what subjects to take - that decision is down to you, but by looking at the lists you might be able to start narrowing down your choices!

Best of Luck

ReputationRep:
    History wise; it isn't essential to have GCSE to do A Level, but you would be at a slight disadvantage. Also, if you didn't like it enough to do it at GCSE, you probably wouldn't want to do it at A level? See if the topics you would study interest you!

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing maths, economics, history and business studies.

- economics is fantastic, i strongly suggest you do this.
    - maths is maths. if you're good at it, do it, because its invaluable.
    - history i find boring, but will stick it out simply because i want to have an essay-based a level.
    - business studies takes less effort than my other 3. i originally took physics, but hated it so changed to business. although it isnt highly regarded by oxbridge etc. i find that the knowledge is actually useful in real life (unlike other subjects).

if i was to choose my subject choices again, i would choose
    express maths (double hours, but the whole a level in one year)
    economics
    english lit + lang
    followed by further maths in the second year, also doing double hours.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Business Studies, because you enjoy it, Maths, for the same reason and you're good at, it seems, R.E, again because you enjoy it and at A Level it's a very good subject to have to show a variety of subjects and to give you an essay-based subject and then Geography. Pick them wisely, I picked totally the wrong ones the first time and failed miserably.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a lot of algebra, number sequences, circles, graphs ect (so far I've done these). I'm quite good at maths, and I don't dislike it, but this year some of the things are proving quite challenging, but still fun, I think you should go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Well I took Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. If you want to apply to a top university to read Economics then Maths and Economics are pretty much essential and Further Maths should definitely help. History provides the analytical and essay writing skills, and almost any topic that you do will require you to make links from the state of the economy to the social / political context.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy, and what you think you will succeed at.

There seems to be alot of people that are shouting: "DO MATHS!" "DO MFL!" " DON'T DO BUSINESS".

Ignore them. Go with YOUR brain, and YOUR heart.

If you don't like maths/mfl you will waste 2 years of your life and gain (at most) a crap grade.

I think it would be more attractive to unis if people took Georgraphy, Business and RE and got AAA in it, rather those who took Maths, German, Science, French and Physics because they have the "hardness factor", and got EEEEE.

ReputationRep:
    Off-topic but history :love:

IMO you should take maths, economics, one of re/geo

(Original post by Gawge)
    Same for science, I have done core GSCE but not higher science.
    Do you mean that you've done additonal sci? Because that's normally considered sufficient prep for AS/A2

Not sure about 4. but English lit (essay writing) or a science?
    I would suggest a language but don't take it if you don't enjoy it

If you want to aim high then try to avoid Business/Law as they aren't very respected, you're better off with a more traditional subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    Do what you enjoy, and what you think you will succeed at.

There seems to be alot of people that are shouting: "DO MATHS!" "DO MFL!" " DON'T DO BUSINESS".

Ignore them. Go with YOUR brain, and YOUR heart.

If you don't like maths/mfl you will waste 2 years of your life and gain (at most) a crap grade.

I think it would be more attractive to unis if people took Georgraphy, Business and RE and got AAA in it, rather those who took Maths, German, Science, French and Physics because they have the "hardness factor", and got EEEEE.
    You make a very good point! This is wise advice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.