Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have plans to join the Danish military (I am Danish) after completing my degree. However, because of my dual citizenship (Danish/German, both countries have conscription) I may have to join the service before going to university. I was wondering whether anyone here is or has been in the position of entering university after military service. I would spend a year in combat medic training and two months on a patrol course with the special forces. What impact has service had on your university experience?

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go to uni to studynursing then go into the army lol

ReputationRep:
    I've got family in Norway, if the situation is anything like there I'd just ignore the whole conscription thing. Cousin got notified of being conscripted, threw the letter right in the bin, heard from them a couple of times more and nothing else. Just go to Uni, get a degree, if you want to join the military after that you'll be able to get a much better position.

ReputationRep:
    I know Danish conscription is a bit soft at times, but Germany isn't. I'd run a serious risk of being tracked by the MP.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I've just spent three years at a UK University and it seems there was no real issue, it's the equivalent (from the university's point of view) of taking a gap year. They seemed quite prepared to consider deferred applications on the grounds of military service.

If you are asking if military service enhances your university experience, no, I don't think it does specifically. I had 17 years military experience before going back to uni, it didn't have any particular relevance. All sorts of people have all sorts of different experiences prior to uni, especially with gap years being so common nowadays.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.