The Student Room Group

Doing applied law, health&social care and tourism and travel

I am in the first year and I am studying level 3 applied law, level 3 health and social care and level 3 tourism travel
I want to study law at university but I don’t know which Russel group university will let me study law with these btec courses . Someone please inform me thank you
Law at Uni is a heavily academic degree - and three jvocational BTEC certificates are not adequate preparation for this if you are aiming at a top Uni.

Those Unis may accept a BTEC Extended Diploma, but your chances of being accepted with three seprarate BTEC Certifcates are effectively zero.
Bristol, as one example, will acept one BTEC Certificate but only alongside 2 A levels, and excludes particular BTEC subjects such as Tourism.

You will need to look at the Unis that accept UCAS points, not specific grades, as they are more likely to accept what you are taking - but you will have to check carefully with each Uni that they will accept the qualifications you are doing.
Original post by Collystudent2021
I am in the first year and I am studying level 3 applied law, level 3 health and social care and level 3 tourism travel
I want to study law at university but I don’t know which Russel group university will let me study law with these btec courses . Someone please inform me thank you

I agree with McGinger here - law is an academic discipline at university, not a vocational subject and the L3 BTECs you've chosen in particular are not a suitable preparation for a law degree. In all honesty, I think you're going to struggle here. Was there a specific reason for choosing L3 BTECs over A levels?
Original post by Reality Check
I agree with McGinger here - law is an academic discipline at university, not a vocational subject and the L3 BTECs you've chosen in particular are not a suitable preparation for a law degree. In all honesty, I think you're going to struggle here. Was there a specific reason for choosing L3 BTECs over A levels?

I was not able to choose a levels so those were my only options
Original post by McGinger
Law at Uni is a heavily academic degree - and three jvocational BTEC certificates are not adequate preparation for this if you are aiming at a top Uni.

Those Unis may accept a BTEC Extended Diploma, but your chances of being accepted with three seprarate BTEC Certifcates are effectively zero.
Bristol, as one example, will acept one BTEC Certificate but only alongside 2 A levels, and excludes particular BTEC subjects such as Tourism.

You will need to look at the Unis that accept UCAS points, not specific grades, as they are more likely to accept what you are taking - but you will have to check carefully with each Uni that they will accept the qualifications you are doing.

What business extended diploma would they accept for law
Why don’t you find a college and study criminology ?? I swear u can do that as a course… I could be wrong
Original post by gracieee16
Why don’t you find a college and study criminology ?? I swear u can do that as a course… I could be wrong

I have tried but they won’t let me because of the requirements
I have tried but they won’t let me because of the requirements

What grades did you achieve in GCSE if u don’t mind me asking? Why don’t you look at extended diploma in something else in college. I don’t think law will be easy with the subjects you chose. What about health and social care or travel? As in an extended diploma or can u still not reach the requirements ?
If I studied applied psychology instead of tourism and travel and also studied applied law and health and social care would I be able to have a better chance at studying law at Russel group universities?
If I studied applied psychology instead of tourism and travel and also studied applied law and health and social care would I be able to have a better chance at studying law at Russel group universities?

This would still be 3 separate BTEC Certificates - please read my answer above.

I pretty sure most russel groups unis would still want a levels i might be wrong tho
This would still be 3 separate BTEC Certificates - please read my answer above.

I was told by my college that studying those 3 btecs for 2 years will be equivalent to 3 a levels

What btec extended diplomas do you think they will accept
What btec extended diplomas do you think they will accept

Look on the LLB Law course pages on some Uni websites.
Usually they will want something like Business Studies or another subject with essay content.
Heya, try to find somewhere that will does some type of Level 2 BTEC worth a few GCSEs. That’s what I’m doing so I can move onto A Levels next year, since my GCSES were pretty horrendous. I hated the idea of doing BTEC so I just chose the option for 3 year sixth form, because honestly I would rather take a year out of my life doing something than regret doing something I hate and isn’t worth it.

Quick Reply