Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    the other day i was sitting in my modern physics class and i was day dreaming and thought of this theory..

If you can exceed the speed of light you would be able to travel into the future and make very accurate "predictions"

Say you are sitting on the sun and something catastrophic happens and you zoom to the earth faster then the speed of light and beat the 8.4 minutes it takes for the suns light to reach the earth, would that be considered time travel to the future? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    No. As you described it, you havn't travelled through time.

However, I think Einstein's theory of relitivity means that time travels more slowly for someone travelling close to the spped of light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation) If you extend this to a (entirely theoretical) person travelling faster than light, they would go backwards through time. This is, however, imposible according to Einstein, since someone doing so would have more than infinate mass. It all gets a bit complicated. See wikipedia if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    You can travel forwards in time by going slower.

You are confusing going forwards and backwards. Inafct, many astronauts have 'been' to the future by travelling as a sattelite around the earth, at high speeds. They end up nanoseconds in the future, but still.

ReputationRep:
    i think i brained my damage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomic Tundra)
    the other day i was sitting in my modern physics class and i was day dreaming and thought of this theory..

If you can exceed the speed of light you would be able to travel into the future and make very accurate "predictions"

Say you are sitting on the sun and something catastrophic happens and you zoom to the earth faster then the speed of light and beat the 8.4 minutes it takes for the suns light to reach the earth, would that be considered time travel to the future? :eek:
    You theoretically can if you travel faster than the speed of light. If you can imagine a ray of light that strikes a clock and then strikes ur eye. This is how you know the time is 10:30 (for e.g.). Similarly, there was a ray of light that had struck your eye which told you that the time was 10:15 . Now if you could travel faster than light then you would be able to go past that 10:30 ray and catch up with with 10:15 ray. This is how you could possibly travel back in time.

However, travelling faster than the speed of light violates the laws of physics and hence it is not possible.

ReputationRep:
    time travel into the future is certainly possible

I do it all the time

ReputationRep:
    yes, but you'll need a chequered floor, a knife and a goat

ReputationRep:
    Interesting Drummy. tell us about it; your experiences, what you saw, who you met.

ReputationRep:
    Infact, we all time travel on the quantum level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK2)
    Infact, we all time travel on the quantum level.
    Being a person whose forte wasnt physics but rather in fact, the rest of science. Id be interested to hear your theorem?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=wizz_kid]You theoretically can if you travel faster than the speed of light. If you can imagine a ray of light that strikes a clock and then strikes ur eye. This is how you know the time is 10:30 (for e.g.). Similarly, there was a ray of light that had struck your eye which told you that the time was 10:15 . Now if you could travel faster than light then you would be able to go past that 10:30 ray and catch up with with 10:15 ray. This is how you could possibly travel back in time.

However, travelling faster than the speed of light violates the laws of physics and hence it is not possible.[/QUOTE]

How come? Is there nothing that could be made faster ever?

(Just curiousity!)

ReputationRep:
    SOME modern theories allow for time travel. No one is very sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

ReputationRep:
    i wish it WAS possible

ReputationRep:
    no back to the future isnt real mate it was fiction lol

ReputationRep:
    You cannot travel faster than light

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...Light/FTL.html

ReputationRep:

m = relativistic mass, i.e. mass at the speed it is travelling.
    m_0 = "rest mass", i.e. mass of object when stationary.
    v = speed of object.
    c = speed of light.

If your velocity exceeds the speed of light, then (as well as other problems, such as requiring more than infinite energy to do this) you would have imaginary mass. You'd need to solve a lot of mathematical/physical problems before travelling faster than the speed of light...

ReputationRep:
    Boss.
    All you need is the flux capacitor, a DeLoreon for correct dispersal over the stainless steel body.
    Set the time circuits, and hit 88mph, and you're good to go.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for my ignorance, but is the speed of light a constant? could you not slow down light so that you could travel faster than it?

ReputationRep:
    On average, phtons will travel at the speed of light, but some will go faster (and of course, we observe antiparticles in the labratory that are infact just 'same', ordinary particle we are used to, travelling back in time.

Of course, this is all within Heisenberg's interdtmcny prncple. (particles back in time) - They will be quickly gone however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelotrevs)
    Boss.
    All you need is the flux capacitor, a DeLoreon for correct dispersal over the stainless steel body.
    Set the time circuits, and hit 88mph, and you're good to go.
    i'd rep u if i hadn't used it today!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 23, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.