Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey, i want to do medicine at uni, preferably manchester, Nottingham or liverpool.
    these are the A levels i took:
    chem
    bio
    english lit
    psychology

im worried about my last choice, psychology though. Most people doing medicine have taken maths or physics instead. do you think this will hinder my chances of getting in, even though you don't HAVE to take maths/physics? I just felt that i'd do better at psychology than maths and it is really interesting, and i'v learnt loads about people/their mind etc in psychology!
    so yeah, what do you think? help/hinder, or anything else?

oh also, next year i'm going to drop one so m doing three subjects. whats the best one to drop? english lit or psychology? thanks!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm doing those exact same subjects and I want to do Medicine.

It's fine. Psychology is actually quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    No i do not think so i think they would regard psychology as a decent subject, i do it myself as well as math, eco, computing and i have had offers from cass and birmingham, admitedly not for the same subject as my subjects were banking and iternational finance and economics but still a difference subject in essence to psychology and they regard it as well as the others. I think if you did not have chem and bio then there might be a problem but then again they might look at your a levels and regard you as an excellent student. Also the offers you get will be for 3 subjects not 4 so if there is any doubt that might take psy out of the equation. Finally all you need to do is show your passion for medicine in you personal statement as i have found out to my advantage, even if you do not possess the greatest grades your personal statement still carries great weight.

ReputationRep:
    those subjects are absolutely fine for medicine and you should drop whichever out of english lit and psychology you least enjoy/think you will do least well in. Only some oxbridge colleges (i don't know the specifics) seem to want three sciences.
    both english lit and psychology are accepted by medical schools and some welcome the non-science subjects to show a well-rounded education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate0904)
    those subjects are absolutely fine for medicine and you should drop whichever out of english lit and psychology you least enjoy/think you will do least well in. Only oxbridge seem to want three sciences.
    both english lit and psychology are accepted by medical schools and some welcome the non-science subjects to show a well-rounded education.
    Actually, Oxford don't ask for three sciences, and only a handful of Cambridge colleges do.

ReputationRep:
    no ur choices are fine i think the unis are asking for is chem and bio

very few ask for all science +maths

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a medic, but those choices seem fine. If you have chemistry and biology then that's fine. Your three main A-level subjects (or, if you're taking four, the strongest three) should be your primary concern. English lit is a great arts subject to balance out the sciences. Psychology isn't as useless or weak as some make it out to be and, as far as I'm aware, is accepted by the majority, if not all, medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardustfairy)
    hey, i want to do medicine at uni, preferably manchester, Nottingham or liverpool.
    chem
    bio
    english lit
    psychology
    my mate took bio, chem, psychology and latin (only to as) and got two interviews, so don't worry about it. the main ones are bio and chem (bio to as level) so as long as you got them you should be fine.

on a side note, have you looked into applying for a london uni? the hospitals and thus experience you get in your clinical years are a lot better i believe.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices are fine. UCL even state they like a humanity in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardustfairy)
    chem
    bio
    english lit
    psychology

im worried about my last choice, psychology though. Most people doing medicine have taken maths or physics instead. do you think this will hinder my chances of getting in, even though you don't HAVE to take maths/physics? I just felt that i'd do better at psychology than maths and it is really interesting, and i'v learnt loads about people/their mind etc in psychology!
    so yeah, what do you think? help/hinder, or anything else?

oh also, next year i'm going to drop one so m doing three subjects. whats the best one to drop? english lit or psychology? thanks!
    Regarding to first question, no i do not think that by not taking maths or physics it will hinder your chances of getting into medicine; because chemistry and biology are the most important aspect of the course, although basic maths knowledge is required, providing you get at least an A at GCSE you should be fine with the maths. I do not think that by taking psychology it will increase your chances though (but don't quote me on that), as its just another subject and not that related to the medical course.

I would suggest you drop psychology next year, due to the reason stated above and english literature is generally a more "respected" degree; but of course choose the one that you like best out of the two, there is not that much of a difference between these two when universities come to discriminating people with different subjects

ReputationRep:
    psychology is actually really useful for a medical course - my course at least has 50% clinical, 50% psychosocial, so doing the psychology A level can actually give you some advance knowledge.
    in medicine there are very few subjects that aren't 'respected,' the only ones i can think of at the moment that aren't accepted are general studies/critical thinking (in some places) i think health and social care isn't either

ReputationRep:
    Courses which are mostly practical rather than theoretical tend not to count either.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.