The Student Room Group

Chemistry Super Cirriculars

Any info on good super cirriculars?

Scroll to see replies

The cambridge C3L6 challenge would be good. It's for year 12 students.
Original post by clouds343
The cambridge C3L6 challenge would be good. It's for year 12 students.

is it something you can sign up for yourself?
I signed up through school. I think you could ask your teacher to register you as student.

Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
is it something you can sign up for yourself?
Original post by clouds343
I signed up through school. I think you could ask your teacher to register you as student.

ive never heard of this before. is this a thing for uk students only?
ive never heard of this before. is this a thing for uk students only?

i think so sorry. maybe double check their website?
thank u so much !

If you have done an EPQ, that would count! You can also find some interesting lectures online (have a look at the Royal Society's YouTube channel for example), which you can talk about.
Reading books is also something you can talk about in a personal statement.
Bear in mind that the personal statement is actually not that long, you don't have lots of space and so you only really get to talk about a few things in detail - don't worry if you haven't got 10 different things, you really don't need that many!
If you have any other questions about applying for chemistry, feel free to @ me :smile:
Original post by booklover1313
If you have done an EPQ, that would count! You can also find some interesting lectures online (have a look at the Royal Society's YouTube channel for example), which you can talk about.
Reading books is also something you can talk about in a personal statement.
Bear in mind that the personal statement is actually not that long, you don't have lots of space and so you only really get to talk about a few things in detail - don't worry if you haven't got 10 different things, you really don't need that many!
If you have any other questions about applying for chemistry, feel free to @ me :smile:

u have applied to chem? how was it?
oh ps my school doesnt offer epq (im an international student)
u have applied to chem? how was it?
oh ps my school doesnt offer epq (im an international student)

Hi! Yes, I applied for chemistry last year.
In my personal statement I talked about maybe 4/5 different things, so I did one book, a lecture, a project I did etc.
The main thing is talking about why you are interested in chemistry and to show that you have done extra work/reading around the subject.
Where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by booklover1313
Hi! Yes, I applied for chemistry last year.
In my personal statement I talked about maybe 4/5 different things, so I did one book, a lecture, a project I did etc.
The main thing is talking about why you are interested in chemistry and to show that you have done extra work/reading around the subject.
Where are you thinking of applying?

I'm not @hhhhu09-ioju90 but I'm also thinking about applying for chemical engineering next year. Universities I thought about applying to are University of Leeds, University of Sheffield, University of Manchester, University of Bradford, Lough borough University and Nottingham University

Plus I haven't visited any of these universities, so I don't know if they really are the Unis i want to apply for chemical engineering. I'll try to attend the open days of these unis and check out their city centers to get a feel of the uni.

What unis you applied to and what were your subjects in A levels?
Original post by Sakuna
I'm not @hhhhu09-ioju90 but I'm also thinking about applying for chemical engineering next year. Universities I thought about applying to are University of Leeds, University of Sheffield, University of Manchester, University of Bradford, Lough borough University and Nottingham University

Plus I haven't visited any of these universities, so I don't know if they really are the Unis i want to apply for chemical engineering. I'll try to attend the open days of these unis and check out their city centers to get a feel of the uni.

i havent applied to any yet but ideally one from the russel group. just researching on super cirrciulars to do to build up my personal statement. since im an international student and live in a pretty rural area i dont hv the same opportunities as others. im taking chem bio n math !
i havent applied to any yet but ideally one from the russel group. just researching on super cirrciulars to do to build up my personal statement. since im an international student and live in a pretty rural area i dont hv the same opportunities as others. im taking chem bio n math !

ohh, I'm doing Chem, Maths and Physics
I'm thinking of doing some super curricular activities too, cause my school doesn't really provide any activities related to chemistry but I'll see what i can do
what year are you in? year 13?
Any info on good super cirriculars?

Hiya! I notice that you mentioned you are an international student elsewhere on this thread.

I’d imagine where you are that there is a Chemistry Olympiad that you could ask your school to sign you up for.

If you want a good book to read, ‘Chemistry^3: Introducing Inorganic, Organic and Physical Chemistry’ (or whatever it’s called) is really good for giving you an insight into the theory that links a lot of A level and undergraduate level material.
Original post by Sakuna
ohh, I'm doing Chem, Maths and Physics
I'm thinking of doing some super curricular activities too, cause my school doesn't really provide any activities related to chemistry but I'll see what i can do
what year are you in? year 13?

my school has a different system but i think year 12 in ur terms???
my school has a different system but i think year 12 in ur terms???

Year 12 is the first year of A levels. Year 13 is the second year.

I.e are you in the first or second year would probably be a better way to phrase it.
Original post by TypicalNerd
Year 12 is the first year of A levels. Year 13 is the second year.

I.e are you in the first or second year would probably be a better way to phrase it.

so year 12 !

Do you know which exam boards you are doing for each of your subjects? Usually international students do Cambridge International or Edexcel IAL.

I would look at the relevant specifications for each subject and see if you can get an idea of the scope of each subject, decide which bits are the most interesting and then focus your supercurriculars on expanding your knowledge of those bits and if possible, try linking the subjects.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sakuna

I applied for pure chemistry, so I'm not sure how helpful I can be about chemical engineering, I'm sorry.
In general though, open days do give you a really good feel for the university and the city. I would really recommend them. Sometimes you just 'click' with a city/university.
It does depend on your grades, but it might be worth having a look at some universities like Imperial or UCL? Birmingham and Bath also seem to be well ranked.
For chemistry, I applied to Oxford, St Andrews, Imperial, Edinburgh and York.

Quick Reply

Latest