Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wow. It's no wonder people have such a bad impression of people who go to private schools. We used to get soo much abuse from the local state schools who thought we were all complete snobs, and now I see where the stereotype comes from.

ReputationRep:
    that rich girl was unbelivably naive and arrogant. The other was bloody annoying with the close ups of her just chewing gum loudly

tbh i expected nothing less from C4....

ReputationRep:
    both the choices did more to reinforce stereotypes than help elucidate the problem. But, that's tv. Channel Four do not have a public broadcasting obligation to educate people (*prepares to be shot down with Channel 4 constitution).

I thought it was genuinely heart-wrenching to see how much Nicola's family had to live on each week and her 5 year old brother sleeping on the floor. It brings home the dry, academic debates we have about benefits. How people can claim that those on benefits are living a life of undue luxury I don't know....

ReputationRep:
    I think he managed to find the most stupid private school girl possible. Sure, I've met people LIKE that in my line of education but none of them are THAT ignorant. Was interesting though, shame about how at the end Alice wanted to get to know these people more but her mum continued to be worried about it. But I s'pose it's not surprising considering her daughter had been mugged twice in six months.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you if I was on £165 a week there'd be no cigarettes or booze in my house.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like the rich person very much but let's consider things here:
    Poor Kid and mum...when they're talking about money and acting like they're so hard up...then it shows them both smoking through the programme...they're squandering their benefits on ****, basically.
    Poor kid turns up to meeting with a hangover - squandering more money on booze, then. :rolleyes:
    The mother...depression isn't an excuse for not looking after her kids properly - get your act together woman!
    Poor kid trying to justify mugging someone on the basis that they need money, they don't just want the phone/ipod whatever - EARTH TO GIRL - IT DOESN'T MATTER WHY THEY MUG PEOPLE, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR PETTY CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.
    furthermore - why was the mother not getting her son to speech therapy? - she should know better than a 5-year-old's whims. She and her daughter both need to get a bloody job.

I can understand the mother of the rich girl following them around the house - if someone stood in my kitchen and justified theft on the grounds of need for money, I'd be pretty suspicious of them being in my house.
    To be honest if I'd been mugged twice in 6 months by people who lived on a council estate down the end of my road, I wouldn't exactly be saying positive things about them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Poor Kid...when they're talking about money and acting like they're so hard up...then it shows them both smoking through the programme...they're squandering their benefits on ****, basically.
    Needs and wants, needs and wants :wink2: Not only that, she mentions to Alice that she "drank alot last night" - yeah, good way to spend a measly welfare benefit and what a great way to set an example to your little brother, eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    Poor Kid...when they're talking about money and acting like they're so hard up...then it shows them both smoking through the programme...they're squandering their benefits on ****, basically.
    The mother...depression isn't an excuse for not looking after her kids properly
    Poor kid trying to justify mugging someone on the basis that they need money, they don't just want the phone/ipod whatever - EARTH TO GIRL - IT DOESN'T MATTER WHY THEY MUG PEOPLE, THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION FOR PETTY CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.
    I agree about the smoking thing, they could be saving up that money for something else. But if they are both addicted it's not going to be easy for them to stop.

"depression isn't an excuse for not looking after your kids properly" - depression is a mental illness, and in my opinion a pretty damn good excuse for not being able to do everyday things like look after a kid.

Also, I don't think she was justifying mugging - they were talking about how people mug, by putting their hoods up and intimidating their victim. She wasn't saying it was right.

ReputationRep:
    If your 5 year old brother is not sleeping on a bed because you don't have any money then it is not hard to quit smoking.

ReputationRep:
    ITT trolled working class people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    If your 5 year old brother is not sleeping on a bed because you don't have any money then it is not hard to quit smoking.
    But they are living day-to-day and week-to-week. Small luxuries are important. If you're used to having so little money, I'm sure it's hard to imagine saving up a few pounds a week for long enough to buy a bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    I agree about the smoking thing, they could be saving up that money for something else. But if they are both addicted it's not going to be easy for them to stop.

"depression isn't an excuse for not looking after your kids properly" - depression is a mental illness, and in my opinion a pretty damn good excuse for not being able to do everyday things like look after a kid.

Also, I don't think she was justifying mugging - they were talking about how people mug, by putting their hoods up and intimidating their victim. She wasn't saying it was right.
    * The NHS offers free stop smoking advice and help. There's no excuse for them to be smoking. Also drinking. If they can't afford to get by they shouldn't be spending money on alcohol.
    * If she can't look after her kids because she's depressed, she should either sort herself out and get counselling/medication and if that doesn't work she's clearly an unfit mother and that poor 5 year old boy should be removed from her 'care'.
    * Saying they only mug for the money, because they need it so badly...sounds like justification/turning it into a sob story to try and have people not be so harsh on them, at the very least.

ReputationRep:
    the rich girl was a fool....she needs a reality check! but she doesnt really know any different...her mum's the one saying..."don't walk through the estate or you'll be stabbed!"....goshhhh man.....

ReputationRep:
    But they are living day-to-day and week-to-week. Small luxuries are important. If you're used to having so little money, I'm sure it's hard to imagine saving up a few pounds a week for long enough to buy a bed.
    A few pounds a week?

If you don't smoke, let me elaborate.

A packet of 20 Lamberts and Butler (which I noticed on the table) costs £5. Your average smoker will take between 1 and 3 days to finish off a 20 pack. Your minimum expenditure a week will be £10. I suspect that £15 would be more accurate.

A quick google for "ikea bed" revealed bedframes for £30. If they don't have mattresses, you should be able to get them for £50-100.

That's, in total, 20 packs of cigarettes. Not to mention booze. Although tbf, I know I'm stereotyping, but that won't be tremendously expensive (no £20 bottles of scotch :wink2:)It's not alot but when you are poor you ought to live by your means and not your desires.

But besides, a bed - for anyone with a minimum degree of cooking skill and intelligence, £5 can provide a pretty good meal. Both the mother and Natalie are fat - but that's probably because they eat crappy food. I don't know if the mother smokes, I can't remember, but if she does, that's even worse. When your addiction is getting in the way of providing for your family then you are a failure.

ReputationRep:
    Rich girl was the definition of pure ignorance, and slightly redeemed herself by realising the fact by the end!

Poor kid had the potential, I'm just not sure if she had the motivation!

I thought the rich kid's mother was a disgrace - ill mannered and racist.

ReputationRep:
    A few pounds a week?

If you don't smoke, let me elaborate.

A packet of 20 Lamberts and Butler (which I noticed on the table) costs £5. Your average smoker will take between 1 and 3 days to finish off a 20 pack. Your minimum expenditure a week will be £10. I suspect that £15 would be more accurate.

A quick google for "ikea bed" revealed bedframes for £30. If they don't have mattresses, you should be able to get them for £50-100.

That's, in total, 20 packs of cigarettes. Not to mention booze. It's not alot but when you are poor you ought to live by your means and not your desires.

Okay, I didn't see the cigarettes on the table, I assumed they'd be rolling their own.

It's all very well saying what they should and shouldn't be doing if you've never lived like that. I'm just trying to empathise with their situation.

It's not alot but when you are poor you ought to live by your means and not your desires.
    Easy for you to say.

But besides, a bed - for anyone with a minimum degree of cooking skill and intelligence, £5 can provide a pretty good meal. Both the mother and Natalie are fat - but that's probably because they eat crappy food. I don't know if the mother smokes, I can't remember, but if she does, that's even worse. When your addiction is getting in the way of providing for your family then you are a failure.
    Did the mother seem like the kind of person who can cook well? I'm sure they are eating convenience foods, but I don't know whether you missed the fact that the mother had depression.

ReputationRep:
    I thought channel four was going to use this documentary to attempt to eradicate some stereotypes but how wrong was I? I think this programme would have been much more watchable if it focused on a rich black teen and a poor white teen. I don't think the programme had much to do about race but i always feel as if the "black" family are frequently represented as living in a lower social class. If channel four did produce the show this way around then i think it would have opened up people's eyes much more and maybe initiated a debate on the stereotypes people have. (Badly written i know )

I do not really blame the rich girl for her snobbery and her poor tact -even though she goes to one of the best schools in the country. She could have put her points across in a much more tactful way but hey nobody is perfect. I believe that the mother has "poisoned" the girl's head with her stereotypes. Furthermore, considering that the mother is a primary school teacher, i would hate to think what she is teaching her pupils about different cultures and people etc.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I didn't see the cigarettes on the table, I assumed they'd be rolling their own.
    In fairness I observed them both smoking pre-packaged and also with a filter in their mouths (as fashion dictates...) preparing a rollie so, I dunno. Maybe they do both, which seems pretty pointless to me.

It's all very well saying what they should and shouldn't be doing if you've never lived like that. I'm just trying to empathise with their situation.
    Well, yes, it is - but can't you say the same about the 'rich' girl too?

ReputationRep:
    ugh there are so many awful people here.

if your life is **** then is it really surprising that youd want to abandon it for some sweet chemical oblivion when you can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by **CutiePie**)
    Views on it?

The poor kid is really annoying, as if you act like that on TV!
    The rich kid- She needs to be pulled down a peg or two "Does that make me sound like a snob" :eek:
    I didn't think she was annoying. What was wrong with her behaviour? :curious: The 'rich girl', however, was pretty darned isolated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.