Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rich Kid - Poor Kid watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    well she is poor because she doesnt have a lot of money. its not about rich kid homeless kid. anyway i thought she seemed like she was quite a nice person, but when some1 is asking loads of questions about something you feel angry or upset about sometimes people feel cornered and put up a front.

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked the Poor Girl (Natalie) she came across really well considering she dropped out of school at 15. Her mother on the other hand, a complete waste of space! It is a shame she has to concentrate on her brother and not herself.

As for the Rich Kid (Alice) she has no idea does she! Her parents weren't too much better either, especially her mum, as a fellow primary school teacher I'd expect her to be less judgemental. 'I like feeling superior' How pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Didnt think either of the girls were all bad. The rich girl was worse, but its totally her mums fault, she was a grade A witch, couldnt believe some of the things both of them were saying. Also If you're going to have those views what the hell are you going to gain from saying un pc things on telly, just say them in the privacy of your own house, not if you're a primary school teacher!! Loved it when the narrator said "cheek to jowl" so true.

ReputationRep:
    i wonder if the rich mum got in trouble over it because shes a teacher? i dont remember her actually saying anything as bad as the kid though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    Everyone can stop being outraged now, it had a happy ending, with the new generation of "rich kid" realising what her parents have never discovered.

Anyway, I actually thought of TSR when it comes to the rich girl. I feel that a lot of people do have her opinions, if to a slightly lesser extent... There is a lot of hatred for rahs/chavs, and I think this documentary showed (although I only watched the last half-hour in boredom) that people only need to meet each other to rid themselves of the comforting anonymity that involves "dissing" someone different.
    A very appropriate example of Tajfel's Ingroup/Outgroup Theory
    *a couple too many psych lessons on my part there :p:*

I agree that TSR seems quite conservative, like the girl but not as much, however I think the rich girl's epiphany was about as genuine as a plastic cabbage, and it would probably take more than just mixing the two groups of people together to completely eradicate their preconceptions about the other group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piehead)
    i wonder if the rich mum got in trouble over it because shes a teacher? i dont remember her actually saying anything as bad as the kid though?
    she said that there wasnt a british person in sight and it was all black people causing trouble" or something to that effect. Which is pretty bad when you consider shes teaching peoples children, and private schools in London are pretty diverse nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    You cannot buy wisdom, or tact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss__this_x)
    No, that's the way she is. Many poor people can be nice people and not take it out on the world.

Anyway, why is she even referred to as being "poor"? She has somewhere to live, clothes and food on the table.
    What?! Lots of poor people's parents were shot when they were 6? Their mothers became depressed, resulting in them having to bring up their sibling? Of course others have it as bad, and worse, but I bet they're just as, if not more, angry and bitter.

Poor is a relative term, relative to other people living in Britain, she is very poor. Did you see the state of their house? They live off £165 per week. Don't be so idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    this program made me sad to be alive.

ReputationRep:
    oh i didnt see that bit...i wonder if she did get in trouble 4 it? i didnt know tsr was conservative and snobby...sometimes people can get really touchy about other people using text language which is funny, cos they act as if its like a travesty (sp?!) to english language and is ruining the world. and people go mental about spelling and use it as cheap digs in arguments which is funny as well. i care about spelling but only 4 formal stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    she said that there wasnt a british person in sight and it was all black people causing trouble" or something to that effect. Which is pretty bad when you consider shes teaching peoples children, and private schools in London are pretty diverse nowadays.
    I didn't see that part but cannot grasp why they would say things like that on PRIMETIME TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    I didn't see that part but cannot grasp why they would say things like that on PRIMETIME TV.
    baffles me too, but they obviously think its normal, who in their right mind would let their child go on telly and say things like that, thats just being an awful parent, leaving her vunerable to criticism from pretty much the whole nation.

ReputationRep:
    Or maybe some people just aren't ashamed of their class and beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    :rolleyes: well they should be ashamed of some of their beliefs. Saying you couldnt care less about all chavs dying is just ridiculous and extreme for a 15 year old girl to be saying. Also denying they're rich or posh and complaining about the credit crunch and taxation, yes they should be very ashamed of themselves. Its not about them being upper middle class or rich, its the fact they're horrible ungrateful little *******s.

ReputationRep:
    they ******* should be. even hitler must of questioned his beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    How is the rich girl fit? She looks like she's 45...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    :rolleyes: well they should be ashamed of some of their beliefs. Saying you couldnt care less about all chavs dying is just ridiculous and extreme for a 15 year old girl to be saying. Also denying they're rich or posh and complaining about the credit crunch and taxation, yes they should be very ashamed of themselves. Its not about them being upper middle class or rich, its the fact they're horrible ungrateful little *******s.
    Ungrateful to whom?

ReputationRep:
    er the girl is ungrateful to her mum 4 a start, she talked 2 her like crap. and also it doesnt have to be ungrateful to a particular person. the girl didnt seem to know she was incredibly lucky to have a rich upbringing, she should count her blessings

ReputationRep:
    Ungrateful to whom?
    Dont be so ridiculous! its not a question of to whom. They have a lot by anyones standards and they're sat whinging about it, pathetic spineless people. Have your money and be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, at least all that private school money is paying off.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.