Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with a fairly concise answer to this exam question please?

Describe how bacterial resistance to antibiotics is used in genetic engineering (5 marks).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    'Out-dated' (i.e no longer of clinical value) antibiotic resistance marker genes, are often used in genetically engineering as the antibiotics i.e Kanamycin, G418, are of no practical importance.

They can then be used as markers for genetic events i.e cloning into an antibiotic resistance marker - i.e your gene interupts the Antibiotic resistance gene so your cells become sensitive to it once more

or

cloning your fragment in in an in-frame fusion with the Antibiotic resistance gene - your cells will be resistant to the antibiotic if they have taken up your gene.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

Does this sound about right then:

'Genes for resistance to antibiotics act as genetic markers to detect bacterial cells that contain genetically engineered plasmids. The gene to be transferred can be placed in the plasmid, interrupting the antibiotic-resistant gene. Therefore, if the modified gene has been taken up by the bacteria successfully, the bacterial cells will die when placed on a medium containing the antibiotic as they are no longer resistant to it.'

ReputationRep:
    Yep, they use that to make insulin.

ReputationRep:
    talk about replica plating before you go head first into killing all of your modified plasmids....

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. Yeah, I didn't really want to go into the whole replica plating thing because it was the next question.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.