This discussion is closed.
Kiesha
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Can anyone help me with a fairly concise answer to this exam question please?

Describe how bacterial resistance to antibiotics is used in genetic engineering (5 marks).

Thanks.
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
'Out-dated' (i.e no longer of clinical value) antibiotic resistance marker genes, are often used in genetically engineering as the antibiotics i.e Kanamycin, G418, are of no practical importance.

They can then be used as markers for genetic events i.e cloning into an antibiotic resistance marker - i.e your gene interupts the Antibiotic resistance gene so your cells become sensitive to it once more

or

cloning your fragment in in an in-frame fusion with the Antibiotic resistance gene - your cells will be resistant to the antibiotic if they have taken up your gene.
Kiesha
Rep:
?
Thank you!

Does this sound about right then:

'Genes for resistance to antibiotics act as genetic markers to detect bacterial cells that contain genetically engineered plasmids. The gene to be transferred can be placed in the plasmid, interrupting the antibiotic-resistant gene. Therefore, if the modified gene has been taken up by the bacteria successfully, the bacterial cells will die when placed on a medium containing the antibiotic as they are no longer resistant to it.'
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yep, they use that to make insulin.
kaisersalsek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
talk about replica plating before you go head first into killing all of your modified plasmids....
Kiesha
Rep:
?
Cheers. Yeah, I didn't really want to go into the whole replica plating thing because it was the next question.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (160)
24.81%
Better than expected (132)
20.47%
Worse than expected (353)
54.73%

Watched Threads