Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, just wondered when applying for university if your GCSE grades matter much.

As I want to apply to Manchester Uni for Pharmacy in 2009.

But they ask for min grade of B in english Lang at GCSE which I got a D in..

So do I have to retake English Lang GCSE in june or just not apply for manchester uni as its too late now?

My predicted grades for A-level are AAA in Maths, Chemistry and Biology and the asking grade for Pharmacy in Manchester Uni is AAB-ABB.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Only having a D in English language GCSE is a liability, not just for university applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm interesting, you seem as though you are intelligent but you started working after GCSE's and if that is the case then you should seriously consider retaking the subject as it will be regarded in many other things just as bkack said. Give the university a call and explain your situation if you simply want to sequre your university place then there should be no problem with your predicted grades, unless there is a huge gap between your predicted grades and your AS level grades.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys that helps alot.. I'm going to have a word with my head of year tomorrow and get it sorted out asap

ReputationRep:
    Most universities require at least a grade c in english and maths.
    Sooo yes, it might be helpful to retake english.

Edit: And just tell the unis you're planning to retake it and you hope to get a better grade.

ReputationRep:
    Now I wish I sent off that letter to get my english remarked, as I was a couple of marks off a C :o:

I didn't work at all during GCSEs, but now I've got myself sorted out

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't matter as long as you get that D up to a C or even better, an A or B. What other GCSE grades did you get? If they are C's and below, then it may put your application in jeopardy.

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were 3As 4Bs 2Cs and 2Ds

ReputationRep:
    Aw, I don't see why uni's dont look over gsce's for cases like this. his predicted 3a's clearly shows he's competent & hes competent in english if he's english (im assuming) or whatever else theyre looking for

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, those are good grades; they are above average so they aren't going to frown upon them. Just work your butt off for your GCSE resit, get your AAA's and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice everyone, that puts my mind at ease. I'm gonna go back to revising c3 trigonometry.. Fun

ReputationRep:
    As people have said, without a resit Manchester would be an instant rejection. For my course, which they want a B in Maths for, they want me to resit my C despite my explaining the circumstances around it, getting full marks in finance modules, and having AAA - So they're a little picky.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.