The Student Room Group

should i take maths a level for medicine?

does having maths alevel increase your chances of entering medical school? im doing psyc instead of it and i dont know if its the right decision.

Scroll to see replies

it doesn't really matter as far as you have chemistry and biology alevels.
Also, choose the subject easier for you, so as to enable an easy balance with the other alevels you're offering.
Do you get what I mean?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by zynnjah123
does having maths alevel increase your chances of entering medical school? im doing psyc instead of it and i dont know if its the right decision.

So a lot of top unis prefer maths even though they don't say so but psychology is still a good third option. You will have to look at different factors when applying - honestly your UCAT/bmat and interviews is what will determine your chances more
Original post by olivez4lyfe
So a lot of top unis prefer maths even though they don't say so but psychology is still a good third option. You will have to look at different factors when applying - honestly your UCAT/bmat and interviews is what will determine your chances more

Is Physical Education a good third option?
Original post by omankemdirim
psyc instead of maths will definitely boost your chances of getting into medical school, but it doesn't really matter as far as you have chemistry and biology alevels.
Also, choose the subject easier for you, so as to enable an easy balance with the other alevels you're offering.
Do you get what I mean?

It doesn't boost your chances having psych or everyone would choose it over maths

OP, choose whatever subject you are more likely to get an A in (and also that you find interesting)

no lol
Original post by AzureCeleste
It doesn't boost your chances having psych or everyone would choose it over maths

OP, choose whatever subject you are more likely to get an A in (and also that you find interesting)

ok thanks
psyc instead of maths will definitely boost your chances of getting into medical school, but it doesn't really matter as far as you have chemistry and biology alevels.
Do you get what I mean?

not true bro some unis dont rlly see psych as a 'real' science a level

Generally need two sciences and psychology is not accepted at all unis as a science. There is a page somewhere which explains possible a level combos - chemistry plus another science/maths gives most options but can do medicine if you don’t do those a levels (but much much less choice)
Original post by Angiogram1
Generally need two sciences and psychology is not accepted at all unis as a science. There is a page somewhere which explains possible a level combos - chemistry plus another science/maths gives most options but can do medicine if you don’t do those a levels (but much much less choice)

thanks
when you've chosen chemistry and biology already, i don't think it's compulsory to still have maths or psychology, is it?

i would suggest so. maths is a great a level for anyone. also a few med schools ask for 3 science/maths a levels, so not taking maths or a 3rd a level would limit your options slightly. oxford and cambridge dont consider psychology as a science a level
Original post by Faisal101
no some med schools wont consider it due to the overlap with bio

ok, thanks :smile:

No they don’t, at all, most untrue thing that circulates on TSR.
(edited 1 year ago)

hey where can i see this page?
Original post by Mintkoala
No they don’t, at all, most untrue thing that circulates on TSR.

I know oxford and cambridge definitely prefer maths than psychology
hey where can i see this

Link on the first page of the am I good enough for medicine thread
hey where can i see this page?

have you found the link?
The three links i found on the first page, two are not working and then the last one is under maintenance

Cambridge is the exception. Oxford doesn’t. Neither does anywhere else.
(edited 1 year ago)

Only Cambridge requires 3 science A levels, no other med school cares, so chem, bio plus a 3rd A level you will get at least an A in is fine for everywhere else

No they don't, see above

It is fine or almost all unis
not true bro some unis dont rlly see psych as a 'real' science a level

All unis except Cambridge would be fine with Psychology as a 3rd A level (plus chem and bio)
i would suggest so. maths is a great a level for anyone. also a few med schools ask for 3 science/maths a levels, so not taking maths or a 3rd a level would limit your options slightly. oxford and cambridge dont consider psychology as a science a level

See above. Only Cambridge prefer 3 sciences at A level, so you would only rule them out as an option. Oxford are fine with it

See above, not both of them
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending