The Student Room Group

Starting to go to the gym

I'm starting back at university in September and am looking for a good gym in Liverpool. As someone whos never been to the gym before I'm unsure of what to look out for in a good gym. Does anyone have any recommendations for good gyms in the area? Preferably not too expensive.

Original post by hutchoz
I'm starting back at university in September and am looking for a good gym in Liverpool. As someone whos never been to the gym before I'm unsure of what to look out for in a good gym. Does anyone have any recommendations for good gyms in the area? Preferably not too expensive.

I don't know the gyms in Liverpool, so I can't recommend one.

However, I do know what to look for in gyms since I have worked out for a while. You will need to know what specific exercises you want to do and what your fitness goals are. If you don't know what these are, it would be difficult to advise on any gym that would be suited to your needs.

Cheap gyms can go for as low as £19 per month, but can also go as high as £60 per month. Some charge you appropriately because the equipment they provide. Others are not as good and are overpriced. However, if you don't need to use certain said equipment, then it makes sense to go to a cheaper gym that don't provide the extra equipment that you won't need.

If you feel this would be of help, reply to this post with your fitness goals and exercise plan and I will list the things that you should be looking out for.
Your uni will have several gyms
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000

However, I do know what to look for in gyms since I have worked out for a while. You will need to know what specific exercises you want to do and what your fitness goals are. If you don't know what these are, it would be difficult to advise on any gym that would be suited to your needs.

Cheap gyms can go for as low as £19 per month, but can also go as high as £60 per month. Some charge you appropriately because the equipment they provide. Others are not as good and are overpriced. However, if you don't need to use certain said equipment, then it makes sense to go to a cheaper gym that don't provide the extra equipment that you won't need.

If you feel this would be of help, reply to this post with your fitness goals and exercise plan and I will list the things that you should be looking out for.

I'm starting with simple goals of just improving my physical health and strength, I think I've found one I like the look of but I'm not sure really what to look for yet, it's a The Gym Group gym. Most of the reviews I've read have been positive about it.

-- Edit: Its £111 for 9 month student pass
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hutchoz
I'm starting with simple goals of just improving my physical health and strength, I think I've found one I like the look of but I'm not sure really what to look for yet, it's a The Gym Group gym. Most of the reviews I've read have been positive about it.

-- Edit: Its £111 for 9 month student pass

Looks like a standard gym. It should have all the basic stuff to improve on your health and strength.

You will want to look into the diet first. The personal trainers there should be able to help.
Original post by MindMax2000

I agree with this. I only use certain equipment only. The only thing I find that peak times you have wait quite a bit to use it.

Quick Reply

Latest