The Student Room Group

Could I realistically get into maths at oxbridge without physics a level?

I just started y12 and currently do maths further maths economics and physics. I don’t plan on keeping all 4 subjects for long and want to drop one out of physics and economics. My question is could I get into maths at oxbridge with maths further maths and economics. I wouldn’t mind keeping physics instead but I know it is far more difficult and time consuming and would rather do economics. So do I have a chance without physics?
Reply 1
Original post by 18636189017
I just started y12 and currently do maths further maths economics and physics. I don’t plan on keeping all 4 subjects for long and want to drop one out of physics and economics. My question is could I get into maths at oxbridge with maths further maths and economics. I wouldn’t mind keeping physics instead but I know it is far more difficult and time consuming and would rather do economics. So do I have a chance without physics?

My brother now goes to UCLA and he did maths, economics and politics. He's now doing economics there. I think you're good without the physics :smile:

Edit: ofc this is your choice tho, I've seen from his pov what it was like and now that I'm in y13 I realised how much time I now have doing 3 instead of 4 A-Levels
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Well I suppose the real question here is "can I get in with 3 A-levels if 2 of them are maths and further maths", because I can't see how the content of A-level physics would be useful in any way.

The answer is yes - it is 3 full A-levels, it might be less work than if it were 3 distinct subjects but preparing for the MAT and/or STEP is going to be tough anyway. Also, many applicants won't have a choice in the matter - e.g. if their school teaches further maths as a completely separate subject and they're limited to 3. Hence why admissions staff generally avoid discriminating based on this.
Reply 3

Of course. Physics isn't a requirement for Maths at either institution :smile:

Why would you want to drop physics rather than economics? Dropping a mathematical subject when you want to study maths seems strange. You will most likely encounter physics in a maths degree.
Original post by Mintkoala
Why would you want to drop physics rather than economics? Dropping a mathematical subject when you want to study maths seems strange. You will most likely encounter physics in a maths degree.

I like both subjects however I know that physics is much more work so I’d have more time if I did economics instead. Also physics only appears in maths courses from a mathematical point of view and there is optional physics modules that you can completely avoid if you want to.
Original post by Mintkoala

The Maths in A level Physics is quite wishy washy, it's not necessary for a Maths degree. Physics like modules are taught from a mathematicians point of view.

Quick Reply

Latest