Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    ive seen sheffields hallams union, is AMAZING building
    It's crap inside though :p:

Seriously, Sheffield's Union is amazing. Definitely deserves its NUS award for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    I've heard that Plymouth has a pretty good one.. but isn't that because there's not a lot to do in the town?
    Plymouth is my hometown.

The union is good but it's mainly the actual location of the Uni that is amazing. It is RIGHT in the main area of the city, opposite all the bars, the halls are seriously a 2 minute walk, you've got the massive mall and the whole of town and then of course the hoe (big waterfront area, loads of grass and events) and it's really really accessible from everywhere. You could go three years without ever having to get a bus anywhere, you can just walk literally to anything you want within 2 minutes.

I'm at Southampton Uni now and our union is fab tonight we have Mini Me from Austin Powers coming, I mean what more could you want...

ReputationRep:
    In scotland i would say dundee is the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate8191)
    In scotland i would say dundee is the best.
    What about Strathclyde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    What about Strathclyde?
    It's apparently the biggest, but I've not actually been. Looks a bit run down though. Like a bigger QMU - and it only really works by being edgy and having good bands. Dundee is pretty good, it's certainly got better since they back-tracked somewhat on their fashionable IKEA renovation, but it still won't resurrect anything of its old character.

Personally, I prefer my more traditional unions like Teviot and the GUU.

ReputationRep:
    I think Bristol is meant to be the biggest in the country, it seemed pretty good when I went on a tour of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It's apparently the biggest, but I've not actually been. Looks a bit run down though. Like a bigger QMU - and it only really works by being edgy and having good bands. Dundee is pretty good, it's certainly got better since they back-tracked somewhat on their fashionable IKEA renovation, but it still won't resurrect anything of its old character.

Personally, I prefer my more traditional unions like Teviot and the GUU.

Where are these?

ReputationRep:
    hertfordshire have the forum being built for september 2009 £38million pounds, tbh i think by next year that will deffo be the best student union, but thats cos wer campus based n hatfield itself is sh*te.
    http://www.forumhertfordshire.co.uk/index.html

ReputationRep:
    strathclyde's is probably the best in glasgow. I suppose it depends what you want from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cerulean)
    Where are these?
    Sorry, Teviot is Teviot Row House, one of the 'sites' of the Edinburgh University Students' Association.

The GUU is Glasgow University Union, which was the men's union, as opposed to the Queen Margaret Union (QMU) which was the women's union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Sorry, Teviot is Teviot Row House, one of the 'sites' of the Edinburgh University Students' Association.

The GUU is Glasgow University Union, which was the men's union, as opposed to the Queen Margaret Union (QMU) which was the women's union.

The GUU seems to have the air of a doomed working men's club from a northern mining region in the old parts. The newer parts aren't bad, though.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the GUU is in quite a lot of debt (I blame Costa and Subway, myself) and is really struggling. But at least it's in a pretty building, has real fires and is just better to be in than the QMU. The Hive isn't great though.

ReputationRep:
    Its so obvious that it is King, in our SU, you can see the whole of London, while chatting and drinking with people, you could stuff like the O2 dome

I don't like mine. I spend most of my nights in the town, or at a pub.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.