This discussion is closed.
Perplexed
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Wondered if I could trouble you for some inspiration. I'm being particularly unimaginative in thinking of possible ideas for coursework. Perhaps you could suggest some classic A-Level type experiments I can look into?

I enjoy mechanics, so wouldn't mind something in that area, but other ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
danguetta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Perplexed)
Wondered if I could trouble you for some inspiration. I'm being particularly unimaginative in thinking of possible ideas for coursework. Perhaps you could suggest some classic A-Level type experiments I can look into?

I enjoy mechanics, so wouldn't mind something in that area, but other ideas are welcome.

Thanks.
Humm - if you're doing further maths up to M4 (or up to P4), there's my favourite bit of mechanics in A-level which involves forced and damped harmonic motion (and that should be down your road, since it's mechanics)... It turns out that if you actually try to build the differential equations to model the motion of a particle moving under forced and damped harmonic motion, you end up with something quite complex, which I'm sure would do nicely for acoursework (I do a board which has a practical exam instead of a CW, so I couldn't say...) - you could check whether your equation (taking into account air resistance, forcing, etc..., etc..., etc...) fits observations, or, if you need more, you could try to allow your mass-on-a-spring to oscillate left and right as well as up and down (which would, in effect, give you a pendulum with a spring instead of a string) - would be quite interesting to find the natural frequency of such a system! Not quite sure how you'd deal with that mathematically, though!

Good luck !!

Daniel
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads