The Student Room Group

Cognito got a paywall??

I'm not sure when, but the revision website cognitoedu.org got a paywall added? It's restricted quiz and flashcard options to the first topic of each subject only. It does mention that if you have created an account before the update you are entitled to access all of the quiz options until September 2023. Subscription prices are absurd too, 10 pounds a month or 83 pounds yearly. How do you all feel about this?
unfair
Original post by visula
I'm not sure when, but the revision website cognitoedu.org got a paywall added? It's restricted quiz and flashcard options to the first topic of each subject only. It does mention that if you have created an account before the update you are entitled to access all of the quiz options until September 2023. Subscription prices are absurd too, 10 pounds a month or 83 pounds yearly. How do you all feel about this?

I actually think it's alright. I normally change the amount of quiz questions to like 10-15 so I can do a few, and then I do the flashcards. They also need their income, as they pay monthly/yearly fees to keep the website up online, and they need to pay salary to their workers who spend effort coding the website, and the people who make the questions, and the people who make the videos. Moreover, the stakeholders need to see a steady profit. They're wouldn't be doing all this just to see nothing that benefits them. Also £10 a months isn't that expensive. Any other membership, whether it's for education or anything else, is much more expensive. The cheapest membership I've ever seen is £5 a month and thats for a streaming service.

Also I doubt that accounts made before the update get a free version. The update is sent to all servers across the world, whether you made your account before or after the update.

If you're really that disappointed, then just spend the £10 or the £83 or ask your parents to. And if you dont want to, theres plenty of other revision websites available. Cognito isnt the only option for you.

in conclusion, I believe cognito is not to blame as they also need to see profits for holding up a website and spending the time and money for students and their workers to make the resources.

Quick Reply

Latest