Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Maybe because they dont want to waste their time expressing milk into a bottle and then carrying it around with them, when its much more convenient to just breastfeed.
    just not having a child would be more convenient. your arguement about breastfeeding being convenient is false

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    expose herself in a situation she knows could make others feel awkward, then thats inconsiderate.
    Yeah but a baby's head covering the mother's breast, after a top has just been slightly pulled down, is far less inconsiderate than a low-neck exposing a wrinkled old cleavage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    just not having a child would be more convenient. your arguement about breastfeeding being convenient is false
    You make me laugh...
    what, formula is convenient?
    Sterilising? Extra childhood illnesses? A lowered immune system? Eight exact scoops of powder? Smellier baby poo?
    Yeah, formula's GREAT...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    exactly, and thats why i was saying that someone could suffer with anxiety problems. im glad its not just me who thinks that its not just people being 'small minded'
    Anxiety problems? I suffer from anxiety, however the thought of a nipple really would not have me in despair :confused:

I only feel anxious when threatened, so unless she had an absolutely smashing pair of knockers that made mine look like nothing worth mentioning, I think I'd be OK :p:

It is possible, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a person whose panic attack had been instigated by a wandering nipple :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    Yeah but a baby's head covering the mother's breast, after a top has just been slightly pulled down, is far less inconsiderate than a low-neck exposing a wrinkled old cleavage.
    thats what i was saying, but just wipe the age bit out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)

it's not convenient when you have an innate desire to have a child and start a family...

ReputationRep:
    "There's no problem in doing it in public because it's perfectly natural."

I don't understand this argument. So is having sex, or taking a dump, or masturbating. Should people do those in public too?

I mean, maybe breastfeeding isn't the same as those things. But then "It's perfectly natural" is hardly a valid argument on it's own? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Nipple-instigated panic attacks... not a common occurence sweetheart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    You make me laugh...
    what, formula is convenient?
    Sterilising? Extra childhood illnesses? A lowered immune system? Eight exact scoops of powder? Smellier baby poo?
    Yeah, formula's GREAT...
    obviously take out of context what i was saying.

if you choose to have a child which is going to be around you all the time and responsibility of you for 16 years, i doubt somehow carrying about a bottle of milk is going to be a big deal, do you?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the fact that it's feeding a BABY who NEEDS THE MILK.
    You don't NEED masturbation in public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    Yes, lets have to whole population stop procreating just so women won't have to breastfeed in public :rolleyes:

Idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    if you choose to have a child which is going to be around you all the time and responsibility of you for 16 years, i doubt somehow carrying about a bottle of milk is going to be a big deal, do you?
    It is hard to explain the appeal of breastfeeding to someone who patently has no maternal instincts.
    If you want a healthy, happy baby, then YES, it is a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toffee_Kid)
    Anxiety problems? I suffer from anxiety, however the thought of a nipple really would not have me in despair :confused:

I only feel anxious when threatened, so unless she had an absolutely smashing pair of knockers that made mine look like nothing worth mentioning, I think I'd be OK :p:

It is possible, but I think you'd be hard pushed to find a person whose panic attack had been instigated by a wandering nipple :rolleyes:
    if you actually bothered to read my posts, i wasnt saying about a wondering nipple :rolleyes:

i was saying about someone who choses to get her whole breast out in a situation which someone couldnt get out of, i.e a bus journey. thats inconsiderate, id feel extremely awkward if she was sat next to me, so would a lot of other people. whether its natural or not, thats not my fault.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lets have to whole population stop procreating just so women won't have to breastfeed in public :rolleyes:

Idiot.
    obviously youve misinterpreted what ive wrote, well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    "There's no problem in doing it in public because it's perfectly natural."

I don't understand this argument. So is having sex, or taking a dump, or masturbating. Should people do those in public too?

I mean, maybe breastfeeding isn't the same as those things. But then "It's perfectly natural" is hardly a valid argument on it's own? :confused:
    Do you feel the need to eat in private? Breastfeeding isn't just natural; feeding your baby happens to be necessary. And unlike going to the toilet, you don't have as much advance warning of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Because other people might not be comfortable with having to see breasts in public. I mean, if you can do it discreetly, or if you're in a park with very few people around who are all busy doing their own thing anyway, then fair enough. But if someone's sitting right next to you, and you quite clearly take your breasts out, chances are that they're going to be feeling really awkward. So it's just courtesy, really

Oh, and a lot of people I know carry bottles of breast milk when they go out. What's wrong with that?
    Why should we care what others think or if they are uncomfortable! Having engorged boobs is bloody uncomfortable!

Mothers just wouldn't get their breast out with someone sitting right over their shoulder. Usually a blanket/muslin cloth is used so that everything is covered up.

Expressing is a tricky business, it can really effect milk flow. Cause you to produce too much milk. Also the baby can have teat confusion, or refuse the bottle because their mum is there! It is also difficult to get the hind milk whilst expressing, it is usually just foremilk so isn't very satisfying. I did do it a few times but its far easier to just feed them!

ReputationRep:
    This entire debate is pointless. For anyone who finds public breastfeeding offensive: it's not like you can see the boob, and anyway you can get special bras/tops for breastfeeding so it's not like you have to see anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'd feel awkward if a pervy man was sat next to me eyeing me up... a chav was glaring at me, etc... but a respectable, nice woman feeding an innocent child?
    Come off it, it's a breast, it's a piece of flesh. In some cultures they aren't even sexualised. Relax.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, if ever your baby is hungry you should go closet yourself in a darkened room so as not to upset the delicate eyes of the rest of the population. :rolleyes:
    I wouldn't want to do it in the middle of people expecially since its something that some would rather not see Id want to respect both them and myself by finding a quiet spot. Whichever way you look at it breasts are associated with sex, perhaps they shouldn't be but they are and will be for a long time it will be quite difficult to change this, though it would be nice to but Im not getting involved lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    obviously take out of context what i was saying.

maybe that skin-to-skin contact is better, maybe they havn't brought enough milk, or expected to be out so long..yes carrying a bottle of milk can be a big deal for women, as the sucking action of a bottle is different and babies can not deal with it!!!

Theres soooo many reasons why BREAST feeding is better than bottle feeding breast milk..

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.