Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    if you actually bothered to read my posts, i wasnt saying about a wondering nipple :rolleyes:

i was saying about someone who choses to get her whole breast out in a situation which someone couldnt get out of, i.e a bus journey. thats inconsiderate, id feel extremely awkward if she was sat next to me, so would a lot of other people. whether its natural or not, thats not my fault.
    But when your breastfeeding your whole breast isn't exposed. The babys head and your top cover most of the breast/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    I think it's the fact that it's feeding a BABY who NEEDS THE MILK.
    You don't NEED masturbation in public.
    there is more than one way of feeding a baby you know

so no, its not a need. and if you say "oh its milk" or whatever, cant the woman just bottle it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Yes, lets have to whole population stop procreating just so women won't have to breastfeed in public :rolleyes:

Idiot.
    It's a better point than you realise, do you think the world population can keep increasing indefinitely without any decrease in living standards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms500)
    It's a better point than you realise, do you think the world population can keep increasing indefinitely without any decrease in living standards?

be careful, thats going off-topic and onto an entirely different debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    But when your breastfeeding your whole breast isn't exposed. The babys head and your top cover most of the breast/
    i love how you people call me an idiot when you dont actually bother to read the post and misinterpret it. im not even going to bother explaining to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmint)
    I wouldn't want to do it in the middle of people expecially since its something that some would rather not see Id want to respect both them and myself by finding a quiet spot. Whichever way you look at it breasts are associated with sex, perhaps they shouldn't be but they are and will be for a long time it will be quite difficult to change this, though it would be nice to but Im not getting involved lol.
    That's probably just your upbringing... for me, men associate breasts with sex, but as a woman I sure don't. All the aunties and mothers in my big family have breastfed, you can never see the breast, I was breastfed till I was 2 and a half, and we're a liberal lot so I chat to my mother when she's in the shower most days anyway while I'm putting my make-up on!
    You however have probably had a Daily Mail upbringing, and we will never agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)

so no, its not a need. and if you say "oh its milk" or whatever, cant the woman just bottle it?
    have you read previous posts, bottle fed breast milk is discouraged as a tempory solution to breastfeeding....and only permanent if theres a medical reason why the child can't breastfeed.

I'm happy to list all the reasons if you want but theres so many, with research to back up aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    and if you say "oh its milk" or whatever, cant the woman just bottle it?
    No, you can't just magically bottle it. It's not easy for everyone to do, and the experience of breastfeeding is important to both the mother and baby. You are really showing your total ignorance of the issue.

ReputationRep:
    I quoted the wrong person magicmint! I mean, I don't agree with you, haha, but I meant to quote tom, sorry x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    have you read previous posts, bottle fed breast milk is discouraged as a tempory solution to breastfeeding....and only permanent if theres a medical reason why the child can't breastfeed.

I'm happy to list all the reasons if you want but theres so many, with research to back up aswell
    well wouldnt that temporary solution be well applied in public places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_<3_you)
    to the people who have had this prob before;
    then why go and sit with the woman in the first place :p:... or you could always just excuse yourself and move.
    In all honesty, there are not many people who would see a woman breastfeeding, feel uncomfortable with being in such close proximity of the woman's bare breast, and plonk themselves down next to her :rolleyes:

Yes, people could excuse her and move away from their chosen spot to avoid being in such a situation, but then we have the reverse arguement of 'why should people be made to feel so uncomfy by the Breast Parade?'

As I have said before, breast feeding is natural, not disgusting, but people should be considerate - I personally would wear a loose top and a nursing bra, thus easily allowing me to feed my child without makng others feel uncomfortable at the sight of my heaving bosom etc.

I do find the uproar over breast feeding amusing, particularly as it seems that most of the people I have found to be so against it were males - males who would have no objection in flicking to page 3 of The Sun, which is breast-tastic by anyone's measures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    if you actually bothered to read my posts, i wasnt saying about a wondering nipple :rolleyes:

i was saying about someone who choses to get her whole breast out in a situation which someone couldnt get out of, i.e a bus journey. thats inconsiderate, id feel extremely awkward if she was sat next to me, so would a lot of other people. whether its natural or not, thats not my fault.
    You only feel awkward because you're not used to it. If it was widely practiced and done in public all the time, then you wouldn't even be phased by it. It would just be a normal part of society.

Would you prefer a screaming baby down your ear the whole bus ride or a tiny bit of akwardness on your behalf?

Most women don't get their whole breast out either, I've been around lots of others who've breastfed. I've never once seen that happen. Or even seen a flash of nipple for that matter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    be careful, thats going off-topic and onto an entirely different debate
    I think it's entirely related to many women's love of 'Babies'. Indeed, many have them without any long term plan of how to care for it, it's just a novelty to them and they don't think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    No you idiot, you give a baby a bottle once and they won't want a breast.
    And they will be unhealthier.
    and not have as good a bond with the mother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)

Somehow, I think the disadvantages of that far outweigh the possible uncomfort someone might experience from a momentary glimpse of breast before the baby's head covers it up.

- Awkwardness of doing so
    - What happens if you run out? Then it's breastfeeding again
    - Intimacy lost
    - Painful, heavy breasts
    - Cost

Why should people be 'ashamed' of it and forced to hide it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)

well the tempory solution means the child finds it hard to breastfeed again..as theres two different actions involved in the mouth..and the muscles develop better with breast...maybe it should, but why should a woman have to risk that, plus diminish a vital mother-baby bonding experience due to others?

ReputationRep:
    That woman who came up to you should be shot. What an idiot? Babies won't sit around to be fed, why shouldn't it get food whenever it needs, instead of taking your time having to find some stinky toilet block. Anyway like you said you didn't even know she was doing it. geez some people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    i love how you people call me an idiot when you dont actually bother to read the post and misinterpret it. im not even going to bother explaining to you
    I think you made a good point :yep:

Sometimes courtesy for others is more important than your own convenience.

I could just as easily ask "why should I go and find a toilet when I need to take a dump, when I can just go in public? It's perfectly natural you know, and I do actually NEED to do it..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    Well why should it when a women is perfectly capable of breastfeeding. Temporary solution should only be used if a women is incapable, such as when the baby wont latch on or she has a blocked milk duct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    No you idiot, you give a baby a bottle once and they won't want a breast.
    And they will be unhealthier.
    and not have as good a bond with the mother.
    he meant bottled breast milk..but bottled breast milk has many disadvantages, cup-fed breast milk is better, but not sutible in public, due to spillages etc!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.