Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayheartbeat)
    As is sex!
    Huh? What what? I never mentioned sex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm not suggesting people should start doing this, but:

Why are people so adverse to breastfeeding in a toliet? I mean, I wouldn't want to eat in a toilet in case any bacteria got onto my food, which I would then be eating. But that's not really a problem with breastfeeding, is it?

Is there an actual logical reason for this? Or is it just because it seems a bit unusual?
    Do you ever go in public toilets? They are disgusting, people leave tissue on the floor, don't wipe the seats, locks can be broken, unpleasant smells, broken seats, dirt-everywhere, nowhere to put the pram, etc! Feeding can take a long time, I know I sure as hell don't want to be cooped up in some small, smelly, germ-ridden place when I can be out in the fresh air!

The logical reason is that most people want to spend as little time as possible in public loos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Everyone wants to see your breasts until your baby needs them.
    that i think is the truest comment posted

(Original post by chaseside)
    Please use your two brain cells! The point is there are perverts who will get off on it, thus the woman could be seen to be doing it for attention. Maybe she isn't, but she certainly will get attention in most cases. Some just see public breastfeeding as unnecessary.
    i urm what? youve been reading too many tabloids, despite what teh papers would have you believe not every man is a slavering sex beast out looking for free titty shots with a baby clamped to them.

And yes when a baby is hungry adn needs feeding the woman purposey starves it just for a little bit of attention

Men get off on tits, they're sex organs! It is normal, regardless of whether a baby's clutching its mother! That's why i wouldn't breastfeed publicly!.. Or anyone else not a fecking attention seeking slut :rolleyes:
    tell you what moron, go back learn some basic human biology and then come back. breasts have sexual attraction yes but thats NOT what they are designed for

im a girl you twit.
    then you really should know what breasts are for then shouldnt you

(Original post by lilith_bloom)
    I'm a liberal kind of a gal, but it's effing disgusting. "It's natural"? So is taking a crap but I don't do it in the middle of Starbucks. :mad:
    ok i dont care i dont agree with what you said but im posing repping you anyway that was bloody hilarious

Anyway without going through all 14 pages i agree that women should breastfeed whenever and whereever they want (thouhg if possible not during sex)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Huh? What what? I never mentioned sex
    Haha, no, sorry, I meant that sex was a stupid comparism too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farawayheartbeat)
    Haha, no, sorry, I meant that sex was a stupid comparism too.
    Oh I see. Yes you are quite right. This actually might come as a shock to many guys but we werent given breasts just so men could stare down our tops.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not fond of breastfeeding in public - mostly because I dislike getting nasty glares from people.
    That being said, I HAVE breastfed in public a great many times without hesitation, because, frankly, if my baby is hungry, other people can go to hell!
    I think the way some people make breastfeeding mothers feel as though they are doing something obscene is terrible. There's nothing more natural than feeding a baby the way it's supposed to be fed. I don't see why people are perfectly fine about seeing topless sunbathers on beaches, and yet when a baby is feeding, suddenly it's disgusting for a woman to get her breasts out. Pah.

I think a lot of women are actually put off breastfeeding altogether because of stigmas attached to it, and this is just so wrong and unfair.

As a side note, my son is 15 months now and still breastfeeding (once during the day, plus at night), although I don't feed him in public any more. I can't even begin to imagine the looks I'd get feeding a child of his age in public! Logically thinking about it though, I don't see why people should be so uptight about it seen as how the World Health Organisation recommends breastfeeding up to age 2.

I'm feeling rebellious now - I may feed him in public next time I'm out and see what reactions I get lol (I'm kidding I doubt I will, but if I did....well it would be a conversation starter I imagine lol).

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    never in public. disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    that i think is the truest comment posted

i urm what? youve been reading too many tabloids, despite what teh papers would have you believe not every man is a slavering sex beast out looking for free titty shots with a baby clamped to them.

And yes when a baby is hungry adn needs feeding the woman purposey starves it just for a little bit of attention

tell you what moron, go back learn some basic human biology and then come back. breasts have sexual attraction yes but thats NOT what they are designed for

then you really should know what breasts are for then shouldnt you
    Hmm how amusing to leave this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Everyone wants to see your breasts until your baby needs them.
    Oh yeah!

ReputationRep:
    I'm even more annoyed now, because my friend is scared of doing it because of that experience..women should just walk round topless, to desensitize people lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Lol, what?!

Also, with regards to breastfeeding, society keeps contradicting itself. Women are heavily encouraged to breast feed their babies and the women who decide to bottle feed instead are scorned.
    THEN, if a woman breastfeeds her screaming, hungry baby outside the home she's told to do it elsewhere. Absurd.
    Antonia, you're cool, but I'm gonna have to disagree with what you said. :o:

It is not contradictory to suggest 'breast is best' but that it is unacceptable to breastfeed in public. That is not an example of contradiction. The two suggestions place the emphasis on different issues. One is about whether to give human breast milk or not, the other is about whether to breastfeed in public or not.

I understand your point though where you imply that a mother has no choice but to breast feed in public when the baby has a tantrum. If the child has a disliking for sucking dummies (from the bottle of milk) as opposed to sucking on its mother’s nipples, then of course the mother has no choice but to breast feed in public.

This is why; contrary to what people have concluded from my posts on this thread so far, I support breast-feeding in public.

:yep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    Antonia, you're cool, but I'm gonna have to disagree with what you said. :o:

It is not contradictory to suggest 'breast is best' but that it is unacceptable to breastfeed in public. That is not an example of contradiction. The two suggestions place the emphasis on different issues. One is about whether to give human breast milk or not, the other is about whether to breastfeed in public or not.

I understand your point though where you imply that a mother has no choice but to breast feed in public when the baby has a tantrum. If the child has a disliking for sucking dummies as opposed to sucking on its mother’s nipples, then of course the mother has no choice but to breast feed in public.

This is why; contrary to what people have concluded from my posts on this thread so far, I support breast-feeding in public.

:yep:
    Well, dummies aren't going to feed a hungry baby anyway. If a baby is hungry, even if they don't mind having a dummy at times, it's not going to be sufficient because a dummy doesn't provide food.

Perhaps you meant 'if the chid has a dislike for taking expressed milk in a bottle'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Well, dummies aren't going to feed a hungry baby anyway. If a baby is hungry, even if they don't mind having a dummy at times, it's not going to be sufficient because a dummy doesn't provide food.

Perhaps you meant 'if the chid has a dislike for taking expressed milk in a bottle'
    Thanks for pointing that out mum. Yes, I need to edit that as I didn't make it clear that I meant dummy from the bottle of milk or 'milk in a bottle'.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    Thanks for pointing that out mum. Yes, I need to edit that as I didn't make it clear that I meant dummy from the bottle of milk or 'milk in a bottle'.
    sorry I was being pedantic lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    but they cant help being uncomfortable. say you was sat next to a woman on a bus, and she just undone her top and got her breast out to feed the baby, i personally would feel extremely awkward, not knowing where to look. but i cant help that, in the same way the baby wouldnt help being hungry. im not saying that it should be banned in public, just discretness should be used.

and it was the more "i cant understand why. its small minded." comment that annoyed me
    Trust me, most women aren't just going to "undo" their top and "get the breast out" (eg just unbutton their blouse and leave it gaping); more often than not, they'll try and get the baby to the milk as discreetly as possible, like putting the baby inside their top instead.

(Believe it or not, these women aren't doing it to make a public show of their breasts, as some people seem to think. :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    Hmm how amusing to leave this

amusing

oh yes of course :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treasureBelle)
    Trust me, most women aren't just going to "undo" their top and "get the breast out" (eg just unbutton their blouse and leave it gaping); more often than not, they'll try and get the baby to the milk as discreetly as possible, like putting the baby inside their top instead.

(Believe it or not, these women aren't doing it to make a public show of their breasts, as some people seem to think. :rolleyes: )
    oh you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The only time i would really have a problem with it was if it happened in a place where you would most likely be eating where i would think it abit inconsiderate to other people but then again it's not even that bad so i dunno it would still be abit odd though.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.