Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Entirely natural but unfortunately there are too many pervs about. Maybe people like the old women think about it for the woman's sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Why do they need to be discreet and tucked away in a corner?

Its not like you see anymore of the boob than you would if someone was wearing a bikini top.

well occasionally if the baby isn't latching on properly the whole breast is shown, especially with newborns when the mother is still getting used to breastfeeding

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't complain if a baby was being bottle-fed so why is doing something natural such a crime?

ReputationRep:
    :mad: - at that silly woman's attitude. Silly, silly, silly lady.

I this it's perfectly reasonable to breastfeed in public, although it's nice to do it with subtlety and respect for anyone around. There's no way it's indecent exposure if it's discreet - it's what titties are for. Do not oppress the titties, people.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that an elderly woman had an issue with it strikes me as very very strange. What's more is that she called it disgusting and offensive. It's neither of those, it's just a bit of a shocker for men to see:p:

ReputationRep:
    i was on the bus and went past a bus stop and a woman just sat there with her baby breastfeeding, no pram or whatever. It was weird and I asked my mate and he said its pretty normal...
    At least find a more private spot, but its not something that i would find offensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I don't think it's really dinner table behaviour either.
    Really? I think a baby having its dinner is perfectly acceptable dinner table behaviour

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    But that's entirely your problem. You should move.
    I meant if she was blocking me in

I still don't think it's entirely fair in really cramped spaces- just as I don't think it's fair for anyone to be eating messy or smelly foods in such cramped spaces either. Although, if she did it in a way that nobody would get splattered, that's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    It's ok if discreet and not on cramped spaces. If someone next to me on a bus did it I would complain because it smells, is messy and makes me feel ill (I'm not saying that it is gross that they do that- good for them!! But I have a vomit reflex on certain noises and suckling is one of them!).

I don't think it's fair to ask them to go into a toilet- who wants their child to eat in a toilet?! But then, I don't think it's really dinner table behaviour either. However, if they are in a place which has a special room for such activities, I think it's fair to ask them to go in there.

So long as it's not whipping the boob out and is discreet, then it's not too big an issue in my opinion!!
    i agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaseside)
    Entirely natural but unfortunately there are too many pervs about. Maybe people like the old women think about it for the woman's sake.
    Oh yeah, it really sounds like she was worried that some perv would see the woman's OMG BREAST and attack her or something.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see the problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    tbh its disgusting, women think its acceptable to get their tits out at any opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    It may sound 'disgusting' but its natural ... I was at Starbucks and the woman sitting in the couch in front of my was breast feeding and I didn't have any issues with it ... and well its not like your really exposing yourself unless your babies head is it tiiiiny.

Nah, I don't think its disgusting or anything ... I personally wouldn't do it till I had some privacy but its up to the mother and baby so I would have told that old lady where she could put it :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    well occasionally if the baby isn't latching on properly the whole breast is shown, especially with newborns when the mother is still getting used to breastfeeding
    How is that any different to a top-shelf mag or a film that includes nudity? Apart from the fact that the breast is actually serving the purpose its meant to serve?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    The fact that an elderly woman had an issue with it strikes me as very very strange. What's more is that she called it disgusting and offensive. It's neither of those, it's just a bit of a shocker for men to see:p:
    really? Actually during the 50's skin-to-skin contact was unheard of straight after birth, and babies were taken away and bottle fed, so never had the opportunity to learn how to suckle..therefore were more likely to be bottle fed!!!

ReputationRep:
    If your child is about to starve and you have no place else to go, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Although if the baby can happily wait a bit, or if there are private places available right away, there's no harm in using them?

It's perfectly normal for someone to eat in public, true, so a baby should be allowed to do so. But nobody's complaining about bottle-feeding in public or any other kind of feeding, they're complaining about breastfeeding, or more specifically, getting your breasts out in public. Because unlike eating, that's not a perfectly normal thing to do

And I agree, breastfeeding in a toilet, especially a public one, is slightly disgusting. I know I wouldn't want to have lunch in there.

ReputationRep:
    If you get up high you normally get a better view.

ReputationRep:
    Can't a woman just pump some and put it in a bottle? I think breastfeeding is best for baby but I'm not about to do it in a coffee shop or park or something.. eww.

ReputationRep:
    You're friend was doing it discretely, there is no problem with that. It is, as you say, entirely natural. You're just feeding your child for crying out loud.

And how dare someone say to your friend she should go and feed her child in a toilet? I'd've told her where to shove it. Do you eat in a toilet? I think not.

Hmph. That annoyed me lol.

I can understand some mild discomfort when it's a little ott, but to be honest I think if you make a big deal about it it's rather harsh on the woman who is breastfeeding. Imagine how horrid that would make you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Oh yeah, it really sounds like she was worried that some perv would see the woman's OMG BREAST and attack her or something.
    Please use your two brain cells! The point is there are perverts who will get off on it, thus the woman could be seen to be doing it for attention. Maybe she isn't, but she certainly will get attention in most cases. Some just see public breastfeeding as unnecessary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.