Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Breastfeeding in Public- views? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    How is that any different to a top-shelf mag or a film that includes nudity? Apart from the fact that the breast is actually serving the purpose its meant to serve?
    I didn't say it was a bad thing, breasts are totally natural and i cannot understand how they've been so over-sexualised ...i was just pointing out how they can be occasionally seen as the whole breast whilst breastfeeding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    If your child is about to starve and you have no place else to go, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Although if the baby can happily wait a bit, or if there are private places available right away, there's no harm in using them?

It's perfectly normal for someone to eat in public, true, so a baby should be allowed to do so. But nobody's complaining about bottle-feeding in public or any other kind of feeding, they're complaining about breastfeeding, or more specifically, getting your breasts out in public. Because unlike eating, that's not a perfectly normal thing to do

And I agree, breastfeeding in a toilet, especially a public one, is slightly disgusting. I know I wouldn't want to have lunch in there.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wants to do the most natural thing in the world is okay by me.

ReputationRep:
    If your child is about to starve and you have no place else to go, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Although if the baby can happily wait a bit, or if there are private places available right away, there's no harm in using them?

It's perfectly normal for someone to eat in public, true, so a baby should be allowed to do so. But nobody's complaining about bottle-feeding in public or any other kind of feeding, they're complaining about breastfeeding, or more specifically, getting your breasts out in public. Because unlike eating, that's not a perfectly normal thing to do
    How on earth is breastfeeding not normal? It's what our bodies are designed to do.

Secondly, say you're out in the city centre - why should you ignore your screaming baby while you hunt for somewhere private but hygenic, instead of doing what any decent mum should do and feeding them?

ReputationRep:
    nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Really? I think a baby having its dinner is perfectly acceptable dinner table behaviour
    It depends upon your outlook. There are a lot of people out there who find it uncomfortable, so a considerate person would take advantage of the other options for feeding (such as if there is a feeding lounge as is quite common in a lot of restaurants where I live- not saying they should go into the toilets though). There is something different to any other person having their dinner- it is wonderfully natural and good for bonding and all that, but it is still the exchange of bodily fluids that can make quite a few people feel uncomfortable and ill.

I am all for breastfeeding, but I think were I in the situation, I would try to avoid doing it at the dinner table because it does make people uncomfortable (their problem, I know, but I like to think I'd be considerate) and if there are other options it would be unnecessary. My friends who are mothers have told me that this isn't so hard to do- there is often a lounge or a waiting area where they can sit, so that other diners are not so uncomfortable. But really I don't think I'd take a baby to a restaurant (not when newborn anyway). e as in all likelihood it would scream throughout the meal and merit us some angry looks

I'm not going to argue any more- I'm entitled to my views, as you are to yours I just find that if there are alternatives out there, it isn't necessary to feed at the dinner table because of the noise and the smell- you are just one (or two!) people in a restaurant with scores of people- it is unfair that you should put your comfort far ahead of that of the other people if you have an alternative place to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I really do think breasts have become so sexualised, people have actually forgotten why they exist.

ReputationRep:
    It's natural. It's fine with me, it's always old people complaining too...

I'd also much prefer a woman with her tit out on a bus than a screaming baby.

Loud abies, mobile phones that aren't on silent, cheaply made headphones and chavs should all be kept off buses.

ReputationRep:

And I agree, breastfeeding in a toilet, especially a public one, is slightly disgusting. I know I wouldn't want to have lunch in there.

I would much rather have a happy baby than a screaming one who was having to 'wait a bit' - babies don't wait for food happily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    I dont want this to be a debate on breastfeeding, whether its good or bad...as this is a different issue, which i was really shocked with today.

I was out with a friend who's recently had a baby and we went for a walk around the park, she sat down and started breastfeeding, i hadn't even noticed what she was doing till i took notice, as i'd just thought she was having a cuddle! She didn't even whip the tit out..was very subtle. Anyway, a few minutes in..an older woman came up to her, and told her to do it in private or a toilet, as what she was doing was 'disgusting and offensive' I was so shocked at this womans attitude, shy little me, told her she was the one being disgusting and offensive by degrading such a natural act. This woman hobbled off calling us 'hippies'. My friend said she'd been told not to do it on buses as it was 'indecent exposure' etc aswell

How do you feel about mothers breastfeeding in public? Maybe you don't have as strong views as that woman, but do you find that it's a bit off-putting, or still a social taboo?
    tell them they don't eat in the toilet then they have no right making a newborn baby eat in the toilet.

there's nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public, and your arms, the baby and top covers most of you up anyway, you wouldn't be able to see much flesh at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaseside)
    Please use your two brain cells! The point is there are perverts who will get off on it, thus the woman could be seen to be doing it for attention. Maybe she isn't, but she certainly will get attention in most cases. Some just see public breastfeeding as unnecessary.
    Oh yes... I'll take my baby with me in the hope that s/he gets hungry and I can flash my boobs for attention from random blokes who may be really gross. I can see that working.

Maybe most people have the common sense to realise that when babies needs feeding, they need feeding.

Edit: my hypothetical baby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaseside)
    Please use your two brain cells! The point is there are perverts who will get off on it, thus the woman could be seen to be doing it for attention. Maybe she isn't, but she certainly will get attention in most cases. Some just see public breastfeeding as unnecessary.
    What the hell are you talking about? Breastfeeding your baby is not attention seeking. And if someone gets off on it, they are not normal.

How can it be unnecessary to feed your child?

ReputationRep:
    i think its absolutely fine, its so encouraged nowadays aswell so its a bit of a contradiction when those that are doing it are being called 'disgusting' for doing it where its convenient for them/their baby. like you say it can be made very discreet its not as if mothers get their boobs out to say 'here lads come get some' shes just being a mother.
    i'd like to see some peoples reactions to mothers doing it in a restaurant, i reckon the older generation are like they are because of the society they grew up in, they werent even encouraged to show off a baby bump let alone get their boob out to feed the child.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing against it. Breast milk is the best thing for a young baby, and it's completely natural. Nothing offensive about it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really a big fan of women breastfeeding in public places (eg restaurants and other establishments). I guess the park is ok. What really ***** me off though is when I accidently see a woman breastfeeding, she gives me evils implying that I am a perv!

I once had a woman sit down next to me in a hair salon (while I waited for my gf) and she ******* started breastfeeding like 30cm away from me. I looked over becuase I thought the baby might be cute (not knowing at the time she was breastfeeding) only to quickly look away and have the woman give me evils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I really do think breasts have become so sexualised, people have actually forgotten why they exist.

absoloutely, I know one girl, a young mother, lived a very closested life (Mormon) and got freaked out because her baby 'looked at her breasts'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    How on earth is breastfeeding not normal? It's what our bodies are designed to do.

Secondly, say you're out in the city centre - why should you ignore your screaming baby while you hunt for somewhere private but hygenic, instead of doing what any decent mum should do and feeding them?
    That's not what I said at all

If your child needs their meal there and then, and there's no private place to go in the vicinity, then breastfeed in public by all means. But if there's a private place right next to you, then why not use it?

And I didn't say breastfeeding isn't normal. I said taking your breasts out in public isn't normal. So why do it if there's no need?

People don't have issues with feeding in public, they have issues with people taking their breasts out in public. But sometimes, you need to take your breasts out to feed your child. So if there's a private place available, use it. If there isn't, then just breastfeed in public. What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockchicksarah)
    Anyone who wants to do the most natural thing in the world is okay by me.

I think you will find the most natural thing in the world in breathing.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_lines)
    I once had a woman sit down next to me in a hair salon (while I waited for my gf) and she ******* started breastfeeding like 30cm away from me. I looked over becuase I thought the baby might be cute (not knowing at the time she was breastfeeding) only to quickly look away and have the woman give me evils.
    hahahahahahaha

PERV!

:nah: I'm joking :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
    i think its absolutely fine, its so encouraged nowadays aswell so its a bit of a contradiction when those that are doing it are being called 'disgusting' for doing it where its convenient for them/their baby. like you say it can be made very discreet its not as if mothers get their boobs out to say 'here lads come get some' shes just being a mother.
    i'd like to see some peoples reactions to mothers doing it in a restaurant, i reckon the older generation are like they are because of the society they grew up in, they werent even encouraged to show off a baby bump let alone get their boob out to feed the child.

One breastfeeding support group went to a macdonalds in doncaster to breastfeed, 6 mothers breastfeeding in all one go, because one of the members had been told to leave as she was breastfeeding and customers were complaining

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.