Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaseside)
    Men get off on tits, they're sex organs! It is normal, regardless of whether a baby's clutching its mother! That's why i wouldn't breastfeed publicly!.. Or anyone else not a fecking attention seeking slut :rolleyes:
    So by feeding your baby outdoors that makes you a slut?

You sir, are a misogynist *******. Crawl back into your hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Not all mothers breastfeed when the baby wants feeding. Many do it at specific times during the day, or at specific intervals. They don't always wait for the baby to be hungry first.

But like I said, if the baby wants its food there and then, and no private area is available, then go right ahead
    and that is discouraged by health visitors and midwives..doctors, theres this stupid book (written by a woman whos never had kids) which demands baby has a schedule, eg when it feeds, sleeps etc...but its heavily discouraged in the first few weeks-months as you simply have to take feeding and sleep natural. THIS is the advice given by health professionals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Uh, women aren't feeding their babies in public for fun. It's because their baby is hungry.
    As I said in a previous post - many mothers feed their babies at specific times during the day, or at regular intervals. They don't always wait for the child to be hungry.

Did it never happen to you as a child, where you wouldn't actually want food, but your parents would try to make you eat anyway? That situation also applies to babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandellos)
    errr, middle of park/somewhere remote and baby waning food now? i.e. screaming and crying?

call me silly but i think a baby's wellfare comes before potential offensive.
    Surely she wasn't more than 5 minutes away from a public toilet though?

ReputationRep:
    Titillating.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)
    I dunno about any of the other ladies here, but I wouldn't want to go and feed my child in a public toilet...

ReputationRep:
    As I said in a previous post - many mothers feed their babies at specific times during the day, or at regular intervals. They don't always wait for the child to be hungry.

Did it never happen to you as a child, where you wouldn't actually want food, but your parents would try to make you eat anyway? That situation also applies to babies.
    Babies who are possibly moving onto solids maybe..but certainly not newborn babies and those a few months old...like i said, extremely discouraged

ReputationRep:
    i would rather they didnt, its a bit awkward for me personally to see it. but if its done discretely like you said then frankly its noones business what shes doing. id would of told her to jog the **** on and mind her own business.

ReputationRep:

I don't think the ones doing it in public are the ones sticking to a schedule. They are doing it because they have to. Because their baby needs to eat. I don't think you can just make a newborn feed if it doesn't want to.

It doesn't matter either way. If the baby needs feeding, for whatever reason, it needs feeding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I dunno about any of the other ladies here, but I wouldn't want to go and feed my child in a public toilet...

ditto, you wouldn't eat in a toilet, so why should a baby be made to feed in a toilet? Plus changing rooms aren't always hygenic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    One breastfeeding support group went to a macdonalds in doncaster to breastfeed, 6 mothers breastfeeding in all one go, because one of the members had been told to leave as she was breastfeeding and customers were complaining
    When does the law come in that legally allows women to breastfeed in public places, such as restaurants. I thought it was meant to be some time this year.

And I really cannot understand why anyone would have any problem with it. Its just small minded

ReputationRep:
    I must say, it does depend in part on the age of the kid. If it's old enough to verbally request boob, it's too old While a little baby being breastfed in a park is ok, it's a bit different for a toddler- I'm sure that would make an awful lot of people uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    and that is discouraged by health visitors and midwives..doctors, theres this stupid book (written by a woman whos never had kids) which demands baby has a schedule, eg when it feeds, sleeps etc...but its heavily discouraged in the first few weeks-months as you simply have to take feeding and sleep natural. THIS is the advice given by health professionals
    Fair enough, I never claimed that it was the most healthy thing to do. But there are lots of people who do it anyway.

I'm talking about the situation where a mother wants to breastfeed her child, but the child isn't actually desperate for food there and then, or if there are private places readily available. Such a situation does actually exist. This is the situation I'm talking about...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ditto, you wouldn't eat in a toilet, so why should a baby be made to feed in a toilet? Plus changing rooms aren't always hygenic
    :yep: That is exactly my point! I don't see anyone here being forced to go and eat their food in a toilet because it's "disgusting", so why should breastfeeding be any different? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyK)
    When does the law come in that legally allows women to breastfeed in public places, such as restaurants. I thought it was meant to be some time this year.

And I really cannot understand why anyone would have any problem with it. Its just small minded

women can breastfeed anywhere they want, no legal restrictions..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildstarchild)
    Everyone wants to see your breasts until your baby needs them.
    ^^ This. :yep:

Funny how people don't mind breasts when a woman wears a low cut top etc, and then complain when women use them for their natural purpose! :rolleyes: Imagine, a woman who actually lets her baby drink the milk from her breast; why do they think breasts exist in the first place - they fill up with milk to feed the baby... duh. :rolleyes:
    Stupid people.

Like someone else said, its not babies' fault that society has sexualised breasts so much. Babies need to eat too. Besides, the OP's friend was being discreet as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyK)

that comment is small minded. you do realise people have anxiety disorders?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I never claimed that it was the most healthy thing to do. But there are lots of people who do it anyway.

I'm talking about the situation where a mother wants to breastfeed her child, but the child isn't actually desperate for food there and then, or if there are private places readily available. Such a situation does actually exist. This is the situation I'm talking about...

if i remember right, if a woman 'feels the need' to breastfeed (some women can get heavy and painful breasts with too much milk) then they're encouraged to breastfeed whether the child wants it or not..i think newborn children don't know they're hungry...and many feed for a good hour at first, Unfortunately a situation like you've put has never existed....babies want food when they want food..end of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SovietRussiaFH)

Have you been in a public toilet recently? Let alone the smell of most, it's not hygienic, and a mother shouldn't be forced to breastfeed in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    that comment is small minded. you do realise people have anxiety disorders?
    breastfeeding bringin on an anxiety attack??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.