Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Really original argument there :rolleyes:

Breastfeeding is natural in the say way you eating a sandwhich is natural. It is nothing like defecating.
    cant you get blood poisoning if you dont **** or piss?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    but this isn't defecating, it's eating...in a natural and healthy way
    I don't see how you've highlighted anything which makes my comparison less justified.

Where the two are linked is that they are natural functions which would require the production of some part of the human body which is commonly hidden on ground of decency.

Really original argument there :rolleyes:

Breastfeeding is natural in the same way you eating a sandwhich is natural. It is nothing like defecating.
    If you're trying to argue that eating a sandwich is more natural than ********, then you're quite simply being ridiculous. Human beings have been defecating since the dawn of man; we only invented sandwiches in modern times.

I don't care if the argument is unoriginal, it is valid. Moreover, I disagree with people eating in the street.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I'm not claiming that you can't tell when your child is hungry. I'm saying that some people try to feed their child even if the baby isn't hungry. Is that really so hard to believe?
    I've seen couples staring at their watches saying things like "Oh, its 1:17, we'd better feed him now". Just because it's 1:17, doesn't mean the child is hungry
    and im just saying what they're doing is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I don't see how you've highlighted anything which makes my comparison less justified.

Where the two are linked is that they are natural functions which would require the production of some part of the human body which is commonly hidden on ground of decency.

so how about coughing into a tissue, thats producing something made by the body, the breast milk isn't seen..and neither is the mucus, yet coughing into a tissue in public is fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    This is all wrong. When babies are newborn and being exclusivley breastfed they feed when they are hungry and if they aren't they will cry until they are fed. There are loads of issues, if the baby was sick or had wind they might not want a whole feed but then want it a bit later. They might even sick up the whole feed making you have to do it again. You can't time these things! You can sometimes do 'top-up' feeds when they aren't overly hungry to give you a bit of extra time before a big feed.

Eventually there does become a routine to it, but only after a few months. Then you can start to plan things a lot easier. And even then it still isn't set in stone. You can either have an unhappy/cranky routine breastfed baby or a demand fed baby. I know which I'd prefer!

I breastfed in public all the time I never had any problems with it and only positive comments! IF someone did have an issue it is theirs and not mine! They could just look away!

You just get to a point when you couldn't care less about it, anything to stop the crying! :p:

Anyone who thinks women should breastfeed in public toilets should maybe think whether they'd like to have their lunch in one! They are absolutely filthy.
    Your describing the "correct" thing to do. But not everyone does what you're "supposed" to do. Like I said, I've seen couples staring at their watches saying things like "Oh, it's 1:17, we'd better feed him now". And the baby isn't even crying. So if there's a private place two minutes walk away, I don't see why you can't feed the baby at 1:19 rather than 1:17. Obviously if there is nowhere available, then doing it in public is the only option left.

And no, I don't think babies should be fed in public toilets

ReputationRep:
    so how about coughing into a tissue, thats producing something made by the body, the breast milk isn't seen..and neither is the mucus, yet coughing into a tissue in public is fine
    I didn't say anything about the breastmilk, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. I do not find the appearance of breastmilk in any way inappropriate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure what to think having read some of these comments.

One thing is for sure though and that is that there are one heck of a lot of pathetic, ill informed, sit on the fence, "ooh its ok but better in private", immature, pathetic (oops I used that one already) idiots who need to take a moment and try to actually think and actually understand the world outside their cosy little inward thinking existences.

Of course it is ok. It is ok in a park, on a bus, in a cafe, on the beach, on or in just about anywhere where the mother thinks its appropriate.

some people here have a lot of growing up to do.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine. People who don't like it must be extremely easily offended.

ReputationRep:
    Because not everyone can go home in 2 minutes?
    Like I said, if no provate places are available, just do it in public?

Seriously, we shouldn't just be 'allowing' women to breastfeed "if they really have to." Just let them breastfeed.
    Obviously yes, it's up to them. But surely if finding a private place is of no inconvenience, then it might be considerate towards others to use that private place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I didn't say anything about the breastmilk, so I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make. I do not find the appearance of breastmilk in any way inappropriate.

ok so the breast, however in other cultures this view is not taken, so you're view is saying, in all cultures, breastfeeding is wrong in public...and assuming your view is the right one (due to your cultures view on breasts)

However do you think this is simply due to over-sexualisation of the breasts that you have this view, and breasts should be seen as un-decent? I do, yes men like breasts..but women also like men with their shirts off...so because something has been sexualised, it's real purpose should be looked down on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    So what exactly is it you object to, the breastfeeding or the fact the breast is exposed?

If its the latter than you wouldn't really see anymore of the breast than if a woman was wearing a low cut top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Your describing the "correct" thing to do. But not everyone does what you're "supposed" to do. Like I said, I've seen couples staring at their watches saying things like "Oh, it's 1:17, we'd better feed him now". And the baby isn't even crying. So if there's a private place two minutes walk away, I don't see why you can't feed the baby at 1:19 rather than 1:17. Obviously if there is nowhere available, then doing it in public is the only option left.

And no, I don't think babies should be fed in public toilets
    The public toilet comment wasn't aimed at you.

I think maybe this happens, say the baby hadn't been fed for a while, they might want to feed him/her before he or she gets distressed. The mother may also get engorged breasts which is very painful. Or they may want to feed the baby before they go somehwere or they maybe using formula at another time of day.

If a mother is comfortable feeding in public then why should she walk that extra 2 minutes if there is somewhere closer by which happens to be in public?

The 'correct' thing to do is also the method that virtually all exclusive breastfeeders use. I have known a lot of exclusive breastfeeders and they have all done this method. If this isn't done it could cause issues with the milk supply.

ReputationRep:
    ok so the breast, however in other cultures this view is not taken, so you're view is saying, in all cultures, breastfeeding is wrong in public...and assuming your view is the right one (due to your cultures view on breasts)

However do you think this is simply due to over-sexualisation of the breasts that you have this view, and breasts should be seen as un-decent? I do, yes men like breasts..but women also like men with their shirts off...so because something has been sexualised, it's real purpose should be looked down on?
    what are you talking about? different cultures? what the hell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    I'm not too sure what to think having read some of these comments.

One thing is for sure though and that is that there are one heck of a lot of pathetic, ill informed, sit on the fence, "ooh its ok but better in private", immature, pathetic (oops I used that one already) idiots who need to take a moment and try to actually think and actually understand the world outside their cosy little inward thinking existences.

Of course it is ok. It is ok in a park, on a bus, in a cafe, on the beach, on or in just about anywhere where the mother thinks its appropriate.

some people here have a lot of growing up to do.
    well remember a lot of people on here are 16-19...and therefore not had children, or worked in a newborn enviroment...some have probably never seen milk being expressed, i didn't until this afternoon, and its not pretty!!

ReputationRep:
    well remember a lot of people on here are 16-19...and therefore not had children, or worked in a newborn enviroment...some have probably never seen milk being expressed, i didn't until this afternoon, and its not pretty!!
    forgot 16 years olds cant have children :rolleyes: im worried that youre a nursing student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    what are you talking about? different cultures? what the hell
    maybe i wasn't clear..

hes saying breasts aren't decent..but some cultures and societies accept that they are, even within britian and the western world (mostly new mums..and the nct lol) and i pointed out, is he generalising it to his culture..or alls, and if he is, then he's saying its wrong for all cultures and assuming his is right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    forgot 16 years olds cant have children :rolleyes: im worried that youre a nursing student
    She didn't say can't; she said hadn't. Most 16 year olds don't have children.

ReputationRep:
    Its something that should be done away from people if possible, I don't get how women can be comfortable doing it in public you know its supposed to be a one on one thing not a public display if I did it Id find a nice quiet corner I wouldn't want people watching. About all the 'its natural' stuff it makes me laugh yea lots of things are natural but really..are humans always natural in their ways? lol

ReputationRep:
    pretty has nothing to do with this.
    age has little to do with it.
    perpetuating ridiculous ideas has everything to do with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)

no but i doubt many 16-19yr olds on here do have children, i didn't say couldn't, i said had...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.