Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    She didn't say can't; she said hadn't. Most 16 year olds don't have children.
    "well remember a lot of people on here are 16-19...and therefore not had children"
    sounds to me like its they havent got children because they are 16-19

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    ok so the breast, however in other cultures this view is not taken, so you're view is saying, in all cultures, breastfeeding is wrong in public...and assuming your view is the right one (due to your cultures view on breasts)
    Not at all. I am simply willing to impose this standard on my own culture. I'm hardly going to suggest going over to Africa and telling tribeswomen to put 'em away.

However do you think this is simply due to over-sexualisation of the breasts that you have this view, and breasts should be seen as un-decent? I do, yes men like breasts..but women also like men with their shirts off...so because something has been sexualised, it's real purpose should be looked down on?
    Perhaps that is the reason. It doesn't bother me either way. However suggesting that it is inappropriate to do something in public does not equate to looking down on it. I full support breastfeeding if indeed the health benefits are accurate.

ReputationRep:
    NOTHING'S wrong with it, it's subtle, you can't SEE the ******* breast for God's sake.
    No mother wants to breastfeed their child in a disgusting public toilet --- you wouldn't eat your dinner in there, would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrm.)
    pretty has nothing to do with this.
    age has little to do with it.
    perpetuating ridiculous ideas has everything to do with this.

you're right, and these views aren't JUST held by people on a student forum...thats my point, however i was pointing out the majority of those on here would feel this way due to lack of experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balloon_parade)
    If a mother is comfortable feeding in public then why should she walk that extra 2 minutes if there is somewhere closer by which happens to be in public?
    Because other people might not be comfortable with having to see breasts in public. I mean, if you can do it discreetly, or if you're in a park with very few people around who are all busy doing their own thing anyway, then fair enough. But if someone's sitting right next to you, and you quite clearly take your breasts out, chances are that they're going to be feeling really awkward. So it's just courtesy, really

Oh, and a lot of people I know carry bottles of breast milk when they go out. What's wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magicmint)
    Its something that should be done away from people if possible, I don't get how women can be comfortable doing it in public you know its supposed to be a one on one thing not a public display if I did it Id find a nice quiet corner I wouldn't want people watching. About all the 'its natural' stuff it makes me laugh yea lots of things are natural but really..are humans always natural in their ways? lol

Yes, if ever your baby is hungry you should go closet yourself in a darkened room so as not to upset the delicate eyes of the rest of the population. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Because other people might not be comfortable with having to see breasts in public. I mean, if you can do it discreetly, or if you're in a park with very few people around who are all busy doing their own thing anyway, then fair enough. But if someone's sitting right next to you, and you quite clearly take your breasts out, chances are that they're going to be feeling really awkward. So it's just courtesy, really

Oh, and a lot of people I know carry bottles of breast milk when they go out. What's wrong with that?
    oh god, dont say that on here. youre clearly sexist and immature, i mean HOW can you feel awkward around breasts? :rolleyes: /sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    PS: and baby's on breastmilk get hungry ALL the time, it's not stodgy like formula -- what's a mother supposed to do? Sit at home all day? This isn't the '50s and if people are driven to squirm by a pair of breasts used for something non-sexual then that's their psychological issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Not at all. I am simply willing to impose this standard on my own culture. I'm hardly going to suggest going over to Africa and telling tribeswomen to put 'em away.

Perhaps that is the reason. It doesn't bother me either way. However suggesting that it is inappropriate to do something in public does not equate to looking down on it. I full support breastfeeding if indeed the health benefits are accurate.

I believe, if it IS done in public, or become more acceptable and women feel more comfortable doing it, then it will become more common, as many women choose not to breastfeed, simply due to their enviroment or seeing it as easier to bottle feed when out and about...therefore if this view changes, why would we not see an increase in breastfed babies? - surely a positive aspect in your view

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't see the problem with it. It's one of the most natural things you can do! And the suggestions of 'go to a public toilet' or whatever is just disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    "well remember a lot of people on here are 16-19...and therefore not had children"
    sounds to me like its they havent got children because they are 16-19
    Which is often true. People might make a deliberate choice not to have kids, you know... :rolleyes: I know contraception isn't always perfect but it does help.
    Please, don't pretend you don't understand.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... breastfeeding and whether or not we should hide away during it.

ReputationRep:

Once you start doing that you make the baby worse at suckling in general as they get used to another type of teat.

ReputationRep:
    No problems if mother is discrete. Aww, babies! :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vykeera)
    Which is often true. People might make a deliberate choice to have kids, you know... :rolleyes: I know contraception isn't always perfect but it doesn't always help.
    Please, don't pretend you don't understand.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... breastfeeding and whether or not we should hide away during it.
    oh my god. just pretend i never said anything.

ReputationRep:
    It's perfectly natural and should be allowed anywhere. Although I'm an idiot and would feel uncomfortable about it, still isn't a reason for a mother not to breastfeed though!

ReputationRep:
    Yes... Only an unstable exhibitionist is going to whip their nipple out for all to admire.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because they dont want to waste their time expressing milk into a bottle and then carrying it around with them, when its much more convenient to just breastfeed.

ReputationRep:
    back to the topic.

if someones doing it discretely, then yes, im ok with that. but if a woman chooses to expose herself in a situation she knows could make others feel awkward, then thats inconsiderate.

ReputationRep:

breast pumps- the male way to milk a female cow....veryyyyy awkward, and painful, ive seen them and many women don't like it. However breastfeeding a newborn is a big bonding experience, skin to skin contact is beautiful, when a baby is hungry when its not near its mum it gets distressed, and that contact is benefical for the body temperature and relationship

ReputationRep:
    And when it establishes a lovely bonding and security for the baby, who may want BOTH to feed, and to be close to their mother's skin.
    More natural than a cow...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.