The Student Room Group

History A-level revision

I find history A level so so hard in my yr12 mocks I got A*A*D(the D being in history) and my teachers aren’t the best with helping in where I went wrong.
Does anyone have any revision tips for Tudors (Henry vii, Henry viii, Elizabeth, Edward iv) and Russia (dissent and revolution)
Thanks
Original post by myleene_asibey
I find history A level so so hard in my yr12 mocks I got A*A*D(the D being in history) and my teachers aren’t the best with helping in where I went wrong.
Does anyone have any revision tips for Tudors (Henry vii, Henry viii, Elizabeth, Edward iv) and Russia (dissent and revolution)
Thanks

Hi,

I agree History A level is really tough. I’m sitting the 2023 exams as a more mature student and I’ve had to get a little extra help. I’m doing different modules to you - Industrialisation (C19th Britain) and the Nazis (1918-1945) - but if you or your parents are able to afford it you might benefit from a few one-to-one lessons. I’m doing this with the Nazis and I feel like I’m learning it much more thoroughly than the previous module which I did without the help.

Otherwise what I do is make timelines, spreadsheets with statistics and quotes, bookmark articles and other online resources, and read books and watch documentaries about the periods I’m studying. YouTube and BBC iplayer have got lots of great history docs, and for podcasts you could look for episodes of In Our Time where several historians discuss topics in depth - the discussions are quite heavy if you’re new to it but you get to hear conflicting opinions and interpretations of history which is crucial I would say for academic study. History A level is such a lot of work but I recommend engaging with as much material outside of college as you can.

You could search for the following In Our Time podcast episodes on Spotify or any podcast app:
In Our Time, Tsar Alexander II’s assassination
In Our Time, Lenin
In Our Time, The Tudor State

Another thing is learning to structure a good essay answer. This guide is helpful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4005981

You could also ask your teacher for some tips on essay writing. Practicing answering these kinds of questions is key, and it’s what I’m currently doing, so maybe you could ask your teacher for some questions to practice on, or search for past papers online.

Best of luck, hope some of this is helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest