Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i want to buy a wah wah pedal but there are so many. I'm looking for one thats cheap but still good - hopefully about £30-£40 (if you can get a good one that cheap). So anyone got any good recomendations?

ReputationRep:
    Your most obvious one is the crybaby. They're a bit expensive though, but were very good whenever i used my mates. But, to be fair, i could get as much from my boss GT-8 in terms of variety of the wah, and more than he could.

ReputationRep:
    If you can stretch slightly further you can afford a Dunlop Cry Baby, the legendary pedal used by so many. Can't go wrong with a Cry Baby.

EDIT: darn it Jooeee!

£55 anyway, isn't too expensive.

ReputationRep:
    The crybaby is rugged as **** too. I've had mine 5 or 6 years, bought it for about £80. You could probably get one for around £50, if you can stretch that far. Problem is with music kit, you really do suffer (quality-wise) at the lower end of the price range. Or maybe that's just me being a bad workman and blaming my tools.

ReputationRep:
    yeah the cry baby sounds like a good option. i don't want to spend say £10 less for a pedal which has a terrible sound. Does it use batteries - if so how long do they last?

ReputationRep:
    Pay the money and get a Crybaby, like everyone else says. They're the best, and also very solididly built.

ReputationRep:
    Crybaby = epic win

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you try it first, it's a pretty fixed sound. You could look at the Vox one too, that's not bad.

I bought the £120 535q I think it's called. Never felt more guilty in my life. I costs as much as my guitar! :O It just happened in the shop, was trying all these pedals, then tried this one and it had all these knobs and....

ReputationRep:
    There are dozens of wahs out there and the Dunlop is far from "The Best".
    The Bypass on them lets them down, straight away.

That aside if you really can't stretch, Ashton do a CryBaby clone and Behringer do their own that has various tweaking options as well as a boost.
    The Behringer sits fairly in the "Good for the money, but not the best" category, by all accounts I have read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    There are dozens of wahs out there and the Dunlop is far from "The Best".
    The Bypass on them lets them down, straight away.
    Agreed. The GCB-95 Cry Baby is the model you'd be looking at, OP, and honestly, it ain't that great. If I were you, I'd save those pennies, and go to a decent guitar store to try some out.

Well everyone has their preference, depends what ur using the wah for etc... Best thing for you to do is go to a shop and try some. It probably would be better if you could fork out a bit more for a better quality one though.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think the crybaby is the one to go for. Complete classic and you can't really go wrong with it.

The boss v-wah might be worth a look if you want more value for money as it has other effects too.

The Ibanez wah (weeping demon?) is meant to be rather good too. I think John Frusciante uses it on Around the World Live at Slane if you happen to have that DVD. Bit of a different sound anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Boss V-Wah models the Morley, Vox, Crybaby, has voice wah AND univibe. (Not all at the same time, obviously...)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2008
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.