The Student Room Group

[Official Thread] Queen Elizabeth II has died

Buckingham Palace have announced that Queen Elizabeth II has died.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61585886

As per convention, Prince Charles succeeds immediately and is now King Charles III. Camilla is the new Queen (Consort).

This thread will be kept updated with further news as appropriate.

Community Staff Note: For anyone affected by this news Cruse Bereavement Support's National Bereavement Helpline is open today (08.09.2022) until 10pm you can call 0808 808 1677 or visit their website here
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow all sporting events in the UK will be postponed I heard. 02 arena almost sold out around 17000 for Marshall Shields and Mayer Baumgardner and now it's postponed - what a joke

Rest in peace though - she did great things during her 96 years - gone but never forgotten. Most people do not know any other queen or king other than her :frown:

Does this mean the National anthem will change "Queen" to "King"?

When Princess Diana died, the country went into mourning for 10 days.

All TV will focus on this for the next few weeks unfortunately.
(edited 1 year ago)
Quoting in everybody who posted in the Queen Health news thread

Original post by Driving_Mad
Wow all sporting events in the UK will be postponed I heard. 02 arena almost sold out around 17000 for Marshall Shields and Mayer Baumgardner and now it's postponed - what a joke

Rest in peace though - she did great things during her 96 years - gone but never forgotten. Most people do not know any other queen or king other than her :frown:

Does this mean the National anthem will change "Queen" to "King"?

Probably
Coins would change too I think
She’s gone but let’s remember what a remarkable woman she was. She ruled for 70 years, that’s longer than a lot of people are even alive for! And there will likely never be a monarch who reigns for longer. A queen on Earth and now a queen in heaven. Now Liz, have a drink with the angels and kiss Prince Philip, you deserve it. God save the king!
(edited 1 year ago)
OH MY GOD. i didnt expect it to happen so soon
Oh gosh.
I was watching the BBC news app when the strap flashed up on the bottom saying breaking news.

I'm in the weatherspoons and the bar manager turned up the volume of the TV. I've never seen a whole weatherspoons pub literally turn silent.

I'm no lover of the Queen but this is a historical moment and people are clearly upset about it, a few people were even crying in the weatherspoons.
From a historical perspective I do appreciate what she has done and her role in WWII was commendable.

I do wonder what will happen to the monarchy henceforth, it appears the queen was more popular than the monarchy itself.
So sad. Part of the world we grew up in and our parents grew up in. Just such a solid part of normalcy and British class and culture. Her story was huge and powerful and important.
Time to go camp out in the rebel boozers and avoid the TV dramatics for the next 2 weeks.
Just before my annual leave too. Rude. I bet I'll miss the free bank holiday :colonhash:
As much as I disagree with monarchies in principle, I would like to offer my condolences to the Windsors, as it is never easy to lose a loved one, especially when they are at the very heart of the family.

Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth II.
Wow
Well, farewell to her. I'm no royalist but have a certain respect for her.
do we get a day off????????
Original post by zydezu
do we get a day off????????

The queen has passed away and this is what you’re thinking about, seriously??!!?!
Original post by CoolCavy
I do wonder what will happen to the monarchy henceforth, it appears the queen was more popular than the monarchy itself.

I think this hits the nail on the head with respect to the future of the monarchy. Lets be honest - the country as a whole does not like Charles. The queen had popular support from a time when the monarchy was still perhaps somewhat relevant, that is definitely no longer the case and the rest of the Royals haven't managed to curry any public favour really, except William perhaps. Particularly with the recent spate of (now former) commonwealth countries officially removing her as head of state, I think we will see many others follow and the monarchy will see a lot more scrutiny and less support from the public domestically.
Painful.
Original post by AKA NO LIMITS
The queen has passed away and this is what you’re thinking about, seriously??!!?!

Will we have time off to mourn?

Latest

Trending

Trending