The Student Room Group

coursework

Hi, im currently reading for my English literature coursework and want to compare something to The bell jar. In terms of purity, sexuality, oppression of women.. what could I compare it to. Im studying with edexcel if thats relevant <3
If your going for something of the same time, if might be interesting to disucss Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid' Tale'
- In the state of Gilead it is predominantly women who are oppressed, the society follows christian fundamentalist beliefs to uphold the purity of women (It aligns with all your themes)

If you are looking for something prior to Plaths writing, and in a society with a different structure (might be a good contrast of contexts) you could compare it to Henrik Ibsens 'A Doll's House'
- Although this is a play so it might not work for your coursework, it is written at the time of the first wave of feminism, and shows how women should be subservient to their husbands and merely a part of the household, not a person. The play is from Norway and was the first use of naturalism so its very contraversial.

For something more modern you could consider a recent dystopian novel called 'Vox' by Chrsitina Dalcher
- This again looks at the oppression of women as they are limited through their voices and oppressed by the state
- Might be interesting to do another novel that is also slightly morbid, but is from a different genre. Would do great to compare

Another play but more modern is 'Jerusalem' by Jez Butterworth, this considers women in a far more limited light than say the handmaid's tale. But that could a great point of discussion. Women are considered to either be creature sexual and free, or conformist mothers

You could also try;
- The Yellow Wallpaper
- You could even go as far back as Chaucers canterbury tales - but I found them an absolute drag (though you may enjoy studying them)

Anyways, personally I think 'The Handmaid's Tale' would give you lots to talk about, and you can even compare their different genres.

Hope I've given you a few useful ideas to have a look at! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for all your help I really appreciate it! I've been looking at The yellow Wallpaper but will definitely also consider the handmaids tale :smile:
Original post by thaucb i
If your going for something of the same time, if might be interesting to disucss Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid' Tale'
- In the state of Gilead it is predominantly women who are oppressed, the society follows christian fundamentalist beliefs to uphold the purity of women (It aligns with all your themes)

If you are looking for something prior to Plaths writing, and in a society with a different structure (might be a good contrast of contexts) you could compare it to Henrik Ibsens 'A Doll's House'
- Although this is a play so it might not work for your coursework, it is written at the time of the first wave of feminism, and shows how women should be subservient to their husbands and merely a part of the household, not a person. The play is from Norway and was the first use of naturalism so its very contraversial.

For something more modern you could consider a recent dystopian novel called 'Vox' by Chrsitina Dalcher
- This again looks at the oppression of women as they are limited through their voices and oppressed by the state
- Might be interesting to do another novel that is also slightly morbid, but is from a different genre. Would do great to compare

Another play but more modern is 'Jerusalem' by Jez Butterworth, this considers women in a far more limited light than say the handmaid's tale. But that could a great point of discussion. Women are considered to either be creature sexual and free, or conformist mothers

You could also try;
- The Yellow Wallpaper
- You could even go as far back as Chaucers canterbury tales - but I found them an absolute drag (though you may enjoy studying them)

Anyways, personally I think 'The Handmaid's Tale' would give you lots to talk about, and you can even compare their different genres.

Hope I've given you a few useful ideas to have a look at! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest