This discussion is closed.
denilson200
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Most white people benefit from being white in a world run mostly by white people. Whites have privilege that is without question. White privilege, like any social phenomenon, is complex. In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege, whether or not they are overtly racist themselves. You walk through the world with white privilege. As Chris Rock says “There isn’t a white man in this room who would swap places with me…None of ya !!....None of ya !!......AND I’M RICH !!”

Most importantly, when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment, He does not look threatening. Almost all of the people evaluating you are white. They see in you, a reflection of themselves - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. Even when lose your temper. You are not dangerous. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. once pointed out, if affirmative action policies were in place for the next hundred years, it's possible that at the end of that time the universitys could have as many mediocre minority professors as it has mediocre white professors. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone, but it's a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white professors have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race, as well as on gender, class and ideology.

Some people resist the assertions that the England is still a bitterly racist society. But white folks have long cut other white folks a break. All your life you have been hired for jobs by white people. Your are accepted for graduate school by white people. Your are so deeply seduced by the culture's mythology that you can’t see the fear that was binding you to those myths. Like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work

It seems that a negative experience with a black person cuts far deeper than if it was done by a white person. True white people may deal with micro racism from black person but we have deal with macro racism the world over. (Let me give you an example) I can call white person “A honky” “A redneck” that is a form of micro racism. White people can call black man a ***** but white people can also do things politically and economically which call a black man a *****. That is macro racism. Very few (If any) black person subject white people to macro racism.
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And your point?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
And your point?
I don't think he has one.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
probably a do you agree or not thead and if not why not.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
probably a do you agree or not thead and if not why not.
What, that whites are more privelaged than blacks? Hardly worth debating. Whites are richer than blacks and privelage follows money.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by denilson200)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Most white people benefit from being white in a world run mostly by white people. Whites have privilege that is without question. White privilege, like any social phenomenon, is complex. In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege, whether or not they are overtly racist themselves. You walk through the world with white privilege.
Most importantly, when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment, He does not look threatening. Almost all of the people evaluating you are white. They see in you, a reflection of themselves - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. Even when lose your temper. You are not dangerous. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white.

Some people resist the assertions that the England is still a bitterly racist society. But white folks have long cut other white folks a break. All your life you have been hired for jobs by white people. Your are accepted for graduate school by white people. Your are so deeply seduced by the culture's mythology that you can’t see the fear that was binding you to those myths. Like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work
Unless you provide some justification for your racism, I am afraid I cant condone the post or thread.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wouldn't say this thread is racist, the poster is just pointing out their oppinion and observations that they have made. Infact if anything their oppinion is that their should be equality between the races that they feel currently isn't there.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What a load of **** :rolleyes:
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lets call him/her a racist and berate them off TSR
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
lets call him/her a racist and berate them off TSR
Lol might as well, can't say anything these days without being called 'racist.'
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Lol might as well, can't say anything these days without being called 'racist.'
You cant say anything racist without being called a racist, that much is fair.
danmint
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
n***a please!
london_bum
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Very few (If any) black person subject white people to macro racism.
Because you've met every black person in the world to make sure of that? :rolleyes: You really shouldn't make such sweeping statements. (Please note that I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you).
The Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
you are mentally deranged or what?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
White privilege
tell that to most of the whites on the african continent
Tyler Durden
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most white people benefit from being white in a world run mostly by white people. Whites have privilege that is without question. White privilege, like any social phenomenon, is complex. In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege, whether or not they are overtly racist themselves. You walk through the world with white privilege. As Chris Rock says “There isn’t a white man in this room who would swap places with me…None of ya !!....None of ya !!......AND I’M RICH !!”

Henry Louis Gates Jr. once pointed out, if affirmative action policies were in place for the next hundred years, it's possible that at the end of that time the universitys could have as many mediocre minority professors as it has mediocre white professors. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone, but it's a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white professors have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race, as well as on gender, class and ideology.

It seems that a negative experience with a black person cuts far deeper than if it was done by a white person. True white people may deal with micro racism from black person but we have deal with macro racism the world over. (Let me give you an example) I can call white person “A honky” “A redneck” that is a form of micro racism. White people can call black man a ***** but white people can also do things politically and economically which call a black man a *****. That is macro racism. Very few (If any) black person subject white people to macro racism.
Your moralising isn't going to have the desired effect. Just make sure in your own life that you judge people on their individual merits and not on their skin colour and you will achieve more than your post ever will.
anchemis
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
lol.... sad...
shadowkin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
We do still live in a racist society. But writing an essay on TSR won't help.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago

I am white - but I don't have to be in a black skin to appreciate that what this poster has said is fundamentally correct.

I agree with what has been said. But then again, I think for myself, I don't allow others to do my thinking for me. :hmpf:
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I am white - but I don't have to be in a black skin to appreciate that what this poster has said is fundamentally correct.

I agree with what has been said. But then again, I think for myself, I don't allow others to do my thinking for me. :hmpf:
please, just wise up
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads