This discussion is closed.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
So you are acknowledging that black carribeans are not excatly excelling themselves? Why are black africans doing better than black carribeans? Surely both are black and both must face the same obstacles set up by white people (according to the rational of the original poster) Are black africans smarter than carribeans? I doubt it. Or are carribean blacks "generally" lazier than their African brethren? Is there an attitude problem here?

And I raise my glass to your grandmother, and don't doubt how hard shne worked, but with respect the immigrants of the 50's had something called a work ethic which IMVHO has been diluted somewhat down the generations.
It might have something to do with the fact that Black Africans come from a country that is predominantly black and therefore they do not have the problems associated with racism or low self esteem that those coming from the caribbean would have - in a country that historically has had whites in positions of power over them.

Does this therefore corroborate the accusations of racism?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

It would depend on whether it was based on your experiences or just on prejudice. I remember talking to a girl who said that she associated black men with crime because in her area that was all black men seemed to do. She had been mugged by 2 black boys, and had been burgled twice by black people. So in that case, her experience was that the black people she knows of were associated with crime. How could i tell her that most black men were not criminals? Of course i did tell her that, but it didn't mean much to her based on what she knew. Hopefully as she meets more people like me she can begin to appreciate that not everyone is the same. Most black people aren't involved in crime, most white men aren't paedophiles. Experience counts for a lot.
Don't allow some of the bullies on this forum to force you back into the corner in an apologist stance. They will never back down, regardless of how extreme some of their opinions are - debate like with like!

The problems with crime and law and order and yobbism, vandalism, beatings, muggings, burglary and racist offences where I live are overwhelmingly committed by whites.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Don't allow some of the bullies on this forum to force you back into the corner in an apologist stance. They will never back down, regardless of how extreme some of their opinions are - debate like with like!

The problems with crime and law and order and yobbism, vandalism, beatings, muggings, burglary and racist offences where I live are overwhelmingly committed by whites.
That was just an example to show that i can understand why some people have certain opinions . Some people on this forum will argue that the sky is green when its blue just for the sake of it. I stand by everything i said.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
That was just an example to show that i can understand why some people have certain opinions . Some people on this forum will argue that the sky is green when its blue just for the sake of it. I stand by everything i said.
You are far more generous that those who condemn your posts - could be a sign of your maturity!

But then, I agree with all you said so I might be a little biased.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
You are far more generous that those who condemn your posts - could be a sign of your maturity!

But then, I agree with all you said so I might be a little biased.
I don't have to rise to their bait. To be honest i've got better things to do! I didn't get to where i am in life by letting people try and make me do/say/admit anything i feel isn't true

Only thing i'm biased towards in this thread is the truth! But i very much appreciate your comments. Tried to pm you but it woudln't let me
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)

I have lived in areas where 99.5% of the population is black. I have seen blacks in those areas denied the same opportunities as the whites. The miniscule percentage of whites have been in positions of authority and power over those blacks.
Really? Were you raised in Transvaal or something? I didn't think even apartheid SA had such a ratio to be honest.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
It might have something to do with the fact that Black Africans come from a country that is predominantly black and therefore they do not have the problems associated with racism or low self esteem that those coming from the caribbean would have - in a country that historically has had whites in positions of power over them.

Does this therefore corroborate the accusations of racism?
Black Africans come from Africa (which isn't actually a country Yawn :rolleyes: ) and has a history of white rule (almost all of it was under the boot of European Empire until the 60's) so what are you dribbling on about?

Furthermore, are you suggesting that black Africans get an easier time in the UK than black carribeans? Surely any racist would treat them the same or do we have a more intellectual class of racist these days?
W*W*J*D
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
oh dear only your 2nd post and you're not in a few peoples good books IMO a lot of wot u said honestly doesn't make much sense sorry! If maybe it was better written and had a meaning people might understand you better
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Really? Were you raised in Transvaal or something? I didn't think even apartheid SA had such a ratio to be honest.
That's incredible Howard - I have lived in the Transvaal - in a place close to where the Sharpville massacre took place - not at the same time, obviously, but the wounds are still healing in that place.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Black Africans come from Africa (which isn't actually a country Yawn :rolleyes: ) and has a history of white rule (almost all of it was under the boot of European Empire until the 60's) so what are you dribbling on about?

Furthermore, are you suggesting that black Africans get an easier time in the UK than black carribeans? Surely any racist would treat them the same or do we have a more intellectual class of racist these days?
It's not like you to be pedantic. :rolleyes:

Young black Africans do have an easier time in the UK than young Black caribbeans imo. I think it could be to do with the fact that they tend to be more intelligent (because of higher self-esteem due to the fact that they did not lose their identity as a result of being shipped to the West Indies in slavery) and therefore don't inhabit council ghettoes in the numbers that as Black caribbeans have to. Therefore they don't tend to come into contact as much with ill-educated white trash.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Have you answered my post on your lie about being black yet?
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Would you ever have a close relationship with a Catholic?
my last serious girlfriend was from a catholic background. your point in relation to the thread?
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
It makes sense that they would be less likely to talk to someone who is black than to someone who is white because they have a problem with them due to them being racist. I really don't see what the issue is.
That racists are white, as you imply here and Sarky implied in her comment to technik.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)
That was my point exactly.

Which is racist.

Of course if you want to be pedantic, that wouldn't apply to a black person who was racist against white people. I was specifically referring to the racist people i have met who had a problem with black people. I answered this point a number of times.

Plus the fact that Vienna edited his/her original message, i replied to your original comment, which was slightly different. I take responsibility for all my comments.
What IN YOUR EXPERIENCE suggests that a racist will be less likely to talk to you than in MY EXPERIENCE?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
That racists are white, as you imply here and Sarky implied in her comment to technik.
i think randdom and sarky just dont have a grasp of how exceptionally important technicality and inference is in what they say...in time they will

on here, they'll get cut to pieces with even a minor slip of the tongue or mistyped sentence.

i let that one go earlier, as im sure sarky didnt mean it, even if she wrote it.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Stop being defensive by attacking.
Defensive over what?

The poster did not suggest that you got where you are today (wherever that is!) because of your skin colour. For all the poster knows, you could be black.

The poster said that it was more likely that he/she would not get where you are today because he/she is black.
what utter rot!

"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..almost all of the people evaluating you are white - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Please tell me how this does not suggest that white people acquire these positions by virtue of their skin colour.

Please tell me how this, referring only to white privilege, is viewed by yourself as being related to his/her opportunities "because he/she is black."

"like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work"

You are adept at distorting opinions, but it doesn't make you right. So stop pretending to rant.
If you wish to make personal comments on the thread it would help if I knew what you were talking about.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Defensive over what?

what utter rot!

"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..almost all of the people evaluating you are white - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Please tell me how this does not suggest that white people acquire these positions by virtue of their skin colour.

Please tell me how this, referring only to white privilege, is viewed by yourself as being related to his/her opportunities "because he/she is black."

"like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work"

If you wish to make personal comments on the thread it would help if I knew what you were talking about.
yawn is politically correct (at all costs) and from my viewings is a complete liberal. this makes it impossible for her to see any racism in the original post despite it being clear as day even before you've finished reading the thread title.

dont expect anything from her

(this should be funny)
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
It's not like you to be pedantic. :rolleyes:

Young black Africans do have an easier time in the UK than young Black caribbeans imo. I think it could be to do with the fact that they tend to be more intelligent (because of higher self-esteem due to the fact that they did not lose their identity as a result of being shipped to the West Indies in slavery) and therefore don't inhabit council ghettoes in the numbers that as Black caribbeans have to. Therefore they don't tend to come into contact as much with ill-educated white trash.
So, you've proved my point really. Black Carribeans, according to you, live in council ghettos because they were shipped from Africa as slaves to the Carribean (and beyond). You are happy to perpetuate the excuse at all costs. GET OVER IT!

The Jews got thoroughly fcuked a lot more recently than the blacks (not including the nearly 2000 years of persecution they suffered before the holocaust etc) yet they seem to be able to get on with lives, better themselves, and be sucessful. Why can't the blacks?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
yawn is politically correct (at all costs) and from my viewings is a complete liberal. this makes it impossible for her to see any racism in the original post despite it being clear as day even before you've finished reading the thread title.

dont expect anything from her

(this should be funny)
randdom said she hadnt even read the post before deciding it wasnt racist, so anything is possible.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
randdom said she hadnt even read the post before deciding it wasnt racist, so anything is possible.
Randdom would curl up and die if she couldn't find injustice where it doesn't exist and rally for the victim du jour.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (131)
18.3%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.09%
Not great so far... (257)
35.89%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.72%

Watched Threads