This discussion is closed.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
That racists are white, as you imply here and Sarky implied in her comment to technik.
What she implied and what I tried to make clear was that in this particular case and statement we are talking about people who are racist towards black people. These people don't have to be white they may be asian but if they had a problem with black people they would be less likely to talk to them than someone of a different race which they don't have a problem. The same thing could be said of black people who are racist towards white people. They would probably be less likely to talk to someone who is white than someone who isn't.

randdom said she hadnt even read the post before deciding it wasnt racist, so anything is possible.
I did read the post before posting on it. I read it once before I made my original post and then again when my original post was challenged. I still don't see it as racist. Like I have said I don't agree with it completely but I don't think it is racist.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
What she implied and what I tried to make clear was that in this particular case and statement we are talking about people who are racist towards black people.
sarky - "how could you justify racism?"
technik - "i dont know, ask a racist"
sarky - "they are unlikely to talk to me"

i) What part of that discourse references racism against one racial group alone?
ii) Of what merit is the statement in a particular case, ie "how could you justify racism against blacks?".
iii) This wasnt made clear by Sarky.

These people don't have to be white they may be asian but if they had a problem with black people they would be less likely to talk to them than someone of a different race which they don't have a problem. The same thing could be said of black people who are racist towards white people. They would probably be less likely to talk to someone who is white than someone who isn't.
Yes, I understand that, but there was no suggestion that we were referencing racism against blacks specifically.

I did read the post before posting on it. I read it once before I made my original post
"maybe they feel that they are being persecuted I don't know I didn't read the original post."

did you or did you not read the original post?

"Like I have said I agree with some of the points made but I disagree with the amount the post implies it was going on."

ok, so would you say, in the light of this disagreement, the post is racist or not?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
sarky - "how could you justify racism?"
technik - "i dont know, ask a racist"
sarky - "they are unlikely to talk to me"

i) What part of that discourse references racism against one racial group alone?
ii) Of what merit is the statement in a particular case, ie "how could you justify racism against blacks?".
iii) This wasnt made clear by Sarky.

Yes, I understand that, but there was no suggestion that we were referencing racism against blacks specifically.

"maybe they feel that they are being persecuted I don't know I didn't read the original post."

did you or did you not read the original post?

"Like I have said I agree with some of the points made but I disagree with the amount the post implies it was going on."

ok, so would you say, in the light of this disagreement, the post is racist or not?
Imeant to say i didn't write the original post hence I can only speculate that the original poster may have been feeling persecuted. It was a typing error. I still don't think that this post is racist. I am sure that some of the things stated do happen in this country. However I doubt that they happen as often as the original poster makes out that they do.
mobb_theprequel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This thread has become something of a "generalization" in itself - namely, a vicious circle of agitation, met in turn with slavish submission. So far, it seems that you've reached common ground on the point that Afro-Caribbean males are academic failures and social misfits.

Keep up the good work!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
However I doubt that they happen as often as the original poster makes out that they do.
Which is how often? And bearing in mind that, what statement is he thus making about whites?
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which is how often? And bearing in mind that, what statement is he thus making about whites?
He is saying that people of races other than white may sometimes come across some predudice when applying for jobs or universities due to misconceptions that the person selecting might have. Seeing that people aren't told when they are selected or regected on the basis of race I can't tell you how common it is. But surely it must happen, just as I am sure in some cases people from ethnic minorities can be favoured due to their race and government targets on the number of ethnic minority employees. Like I have been saying all along it probably happens but I don't think it is some huge conspiracy like the original poster makes out.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
my last serious girlfriend was from a catholic background. your point in relation to the thread?
My post was in response to your comment that you could not have a relationship with someone from an ethnic minority.

It was meant tongue in cheek - hence the 'emocion' viz

As you said to me previously - 'wise up'.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Defensive over what?

what utter rot!

"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..almost all of the people evaluating you are white - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Please tell me how this does not suggest that white people acquire these positions by virtue of their skin colour.

Please tell me how this, referring only to white privilege, is viewed by yourself as being related to his/her opportunities "because he/she is black."

"like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work"

If you wish to make personal comments on the thread it would help if I knew what you were talking about.
My point exactly!

You are 'coming over' all offended. You see offence in the article - I don't. Your perception is different to mine. One has to read 'between the lines' - one cannot just say there is the intention to offend unless that is one's perception. It is extremely difficult to communicate effectively because we are not machines that are logical.

Decisions are made on people applying for jobs, universities etc. the minute they walk into the interview room - even before the interviewee has opened their mouth. That is a fact. Therefore, because of this fact, the interviewer(s) can be assailed by all sorts of subconcious prejudices - including dislike, distruct etc. of a race of people for whatever reason.

The reason we have legislation to attempt to give people equal opportunities is precisely because of the above!

And you do have a tendency to distort what the posters are saying - when it does not match with your own ideology; this is due to subconcious prejudices - which we all have, ergo, we all do the same thing.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
yawn is politically correct (at all costs) and from my viewings is a complete liberal. this makes it impossible for her to see any racism in the original post despite it being clear as day even before you've finished reading the thread title.

dont expect anything from her

(this should be funny)
'politically correct (at all costs)......is a complete liberal.'

Try telling that to those who advocate abortion/euthanasia and disrespect for the elderly!

I would have thought that it was clear why I did not see what you saw in the original post - I believe that much of it is TRUE! The reason I say this is because I have witnessed the hostile and negative reactions of many white people to black people. I have stood in bus queques with whites who have complained to me about the number of black people moving into 'their' area - assuming that because I am white I will agree with them. I have not heard the same comments coming from blacks when whites move in on them!

I can expect nothing else but uneven handedness from you.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
So, you've proved my point really. Black Carribeans, according to you, live in council ghettos because they were shipped from Africa as slaves to the Carribean (and beyond). You are happy to perpetuate the excuse at all costs. GET OVER IT!

The Jews got thoroughly fcuked a lot more recently than the blacks (not including the nearly 2000 years of persecution they suffered before the holocaust etc) yet they seem to be able to get on with lives, better themselves, and be sucessful. Why can't the blacks?
It is hard for someone to 'be able to get on with their lives' when the attitudes to them have not changed. Bigotry and prejudice still abounds.

And why did you lie and say you were black just to gain the upper hand in a debate on this forum?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
I wonder how many of the members are say they are insulted by the suggestion that whites can be racist have many blacks amongst their circle of friends! :rolleyes:
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I wonder how many of the members are say they are insulted by the suggestion that whites can be racist have many blacks amongst their circle of friends! :rolleyes:
I dont have any black friends simply because there arent many/any black people were I live or work. Just because I dont have any black friends doesnt make you racist. Wouldnt it be worse to make friends with someone just because they were black.
swishmasta
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Howard's UN-PC view for the day. Don't like it? Tough titties!

I agree Technik. I think it's about time blacks stopped whining on about imagined injustices, stopped moaning, and got on with life. If they spent more time studying and applying themselves than they did going on about slavery they might even get somewhere.
what kind of ignorance is this? putting all of us under one roof. I am grateful of the way things are right now, compared to like 50 years ago, and earlier. yes, rascism is still here, (getting a job as a black person can be really hard, especially in retail stores and i have experienced many times). but the way i see it, black people just have to work a little bit harder than the rest. I was really surprised to see how some people on here have reacted to a post which simply stated a general observation. I get the feeling that theres some people here that are rascist, but maybe am wrong. Either way i dont really care as this is just an online forum.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I dont have any black friends simply because there arent many/any black people were I live or work. Just because I dont have any black friends doesnt make you racist. Wouldnt it be worse to make friends with someone just because they were black.
same...ive only seen a handful of black people in my entire life here
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
Wouldnt it be worse to make friends with someone just because they were black.
Indeed. Not sure on people's reaction to this but what if someone did not find a particular ethnic origin attractive in terms of perhaps a possible sexual relationship? I guess here it is personal choice.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Indeed. Not sure on people's reaction to this but what if someone did not find a particular ethnic origin attractive in terms of perhaps a possible sexual relationship? I guess here it is personal choice.
i only find white people attractive really.

well perhpas i should clarify, of course i see black people, asians etc that are good looking but i think i'd only ever have a full relationship with a white person.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well perhpas i should clarify, of course i see black people, asians etc that are good looking but i think i'd only ever have a full relationship with a white person.
Yeah. But you are not alone. Just I once heard theword racist associated with this scenario. Not that I agree with such an accusation.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah. But you are not alone. Just I once heard theword racist associated with this scenario. Not that I agree with such an accusation.
theres a bit of a difference between relationship preference and running about with burning crosses
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't think that it is racist either. You can't choose who you fancy, you can't choose who you want to sleep with and you can't choose who you fall in love with. To say that someone who isn't attracted to other races is racist is just stupid. However I don't think anyone can really say I will never sleep with someone of a different race because you can never know what will happen in the future.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
theres a bit of a difference between relationship preference and running about with burning crosses
You are comparing extremes. Sure the KKK are extreme examples of racists - but there are far more racists amongst the general population.

Say if you lived in an area where there were lots of blacks - would you spontaneously welcome them into your circle of friends or would you not?

That question is for frost105 too.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.18%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.41%
Not great so far... (251)
35.65%
I want to drop out! (132)
18.75%

Watched Threads