This discussion is closed.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
You are comparing extremes. Sure the KKK are extreme examples of racists - but there are far more racists amongst the general population.

Say if you lived in an area where there were lots of blacks - would you spontaneously welcome them into your circle of friends or would you not?

That question is for frost105 too.
well i dont welcome people spontaneously but if i lived in a street with people from minority backgrounds and i got to know them and liked them i wouldnt have any problem
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
You are comparing extremes. Sure the KKK are extreme examples of racists - but there are far more racists amongst the general population.

Say if you lived in an area where there were lots of blacks - would you spontaneously welcome them into your circle of friends or would you not?

That question is for frost105 too.
I have to say that I dont look at my friends and see colour so would welcome them like any other person i get on with.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)

You are 'coming over' all offended.
What point? Yes, I find the article offensive but an objective assessment of the comments would deem them to be racist.

One has to read 'between the lines' - one cannot just say there is the intention to offend unless that is one's perception. It is extremely difficult to communicate effectively because we are not machines that are logical.
In terms of the post, what exactly does this mean.

Decisions are made on people applying for jobs, universities etc. the minute they walk into the interview room - even before the interviewee has opened their mouth. That is a fact. Therefore, because of this fact, the interviewer(s) can be assailed by all sorts of subconcious prejudices - including dislike, distruct etc. of a race of people for whatever reason.
Naturally.

And you do have a tendency to distort what the posters are saying - when it does not match with your own ideology; this is due to subconcious prejudices - which we all have, ergo, we all do the same thing.
Again, personal comments.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
well i dont welcome people spontaneously but if i lived in a street with people from minority backgrounds and i got to know them and liked them i wouldnt have any problem
So you WOULD accept anyone who would not normally be included in your 'circle of friends'?

Good - I'm pleased.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I have to say that I dont look at my friends and see colour so would welcome them like any other person i get on with.
That's interesting. Do you see colour amongst those who are not yet your friends?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
What point? Yes, I find the article offensive but an objective assessment of the comments would deem them to be racist.

In terms of the post, what exactly does this mean.

Naturally.

Again, personal comments.

Regarding your perception of what is racist and 'reading between the lines' - I am pointing out that one cannot make an objective assessment on a matter that is part of their every day life. It is hard to communicate effectively with some people who cannot see beyond their own opinions as they are not 'receptive' to differing interpretations.

What is this "again, personal comments". I don't see how that is unusual in a debate forum - we all (yes, including you) make personal comments because we are commenting on what another person has said! So what do you mean by it?
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
That's interesting. Do you see colour amongst those who are not yet your friends?
Yes. The only time significantly in my life where colour was an issue was back in the race riots in the town I lived in down south though I'm always concious of peoples colour.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Regarding your perception of what is racist and 'reading between the lines' - I am pointing out that one cannot make an objective assessment on a matter that is part of their every day life.
Id like you to answer these questions,

"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..almost all of the people evaluating you are white - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Please tell me how this does not suggest that white people acquire these positions by virtue of their skin colour?

"like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work"

Please tell me how this, referring only to white privilege, is viewed by yourself as being related to his/her opportunities "because he/she is black."

It is hard to communicate effectively with some people who cannot see beyond their own opinions as they are not 'receptive' to differing interpretations.
"And you do have a tendency to distort what the posters are saying - when it does not match with your own ideology; this is due to subconcious prejudices - which we all have, ergo, we all do the same thing."
yawn
Report 14 years ago
Id like you to answer these questions,

"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..almost all of the people evaluating you are white - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Please tell me how this does not suggest that white people acquire these positions by virtue of their skin colour?

"like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work"

Please tell me how this, referring only to white privilege, is viewed by yourself as being related to his/her opportunities "because he/she is black."

"And you do have a tendency to distort what the posters are saying - when it does not match with your own ideology; this is due to subconcious prejudices - which we all have, ergo, we all do the same thing."

Yes it does suggest that white people get these positions by 'virtue'(?) of their skin colour - and I would say that is true in most cases. No apology for me for what I see as a fact!

Unfortunately I don't think that white people give it a thought - so I would have to disagree that white people are 'living in fear' that they might not deserve their success. I do believe that if the positions were reversed there would be an almighty fuss kicked up by white people!

I might have made the error of being too generous to you by saying that we all tend to distort what other posters are saying. But you do - in my opinion! That is not necessarily a criticism of you - rather an observation that you have a weakness in that particular area. Just an observation - not an irrefutable fact.

Have you answered what you mean by 'another personal comment'?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Yes it does suggest that white people get these positions by 'virtue'(?) of their skin colour
Do you believe that statement discriminates based on race?

I might have made the error of being too generous to you by saying that we all tend to distort what other posters are saying. But you do - in my opinion!

And you do have a tendency to distort what the posters are saying - when it does not match with your own ideology
Do you believe these personal comments represent an opinion receptive to my differing interpretation or one that just doesnt match with my own ideology?
SJ No.18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
It might have something to do with the fact that Black Africans come from a country that is predominantly black and therefore they do not have the problems associated with racism or low self esteem that those coming from the caribbean would have - in a country that historically has had whites in positions of power over them.

Does this therefore corroborate the accusations of racism?
In my opinion, the reason for the difference between the performance of Blck Africans and caribbeans is partly what yawn said, that people of caribbean heritage have lower self esteem than africans.People in countries like Jamaica at the time of empire windrush were poor with a lack of education, that's why they came here because they were in the lowest social class of jamaican society and they saw Britain as a chance to escape. As you know there is a link between socio-economic circumstance and crime, If you're raised by parents with no education you're unlikely to get an education yourself. This is the problem alot of children of jamaican heritage have, they don't have anyone to look up to.

In the case of Africans, many of them who originally came over say 40 years ago were people who's parents managed to send them abroad in order to get an education from a university. These type of people have a different perspective on education and as a consequence there kids will see the value of education. This in my opinion explains the differing performance of Africans and jamaicans, its a socio-economic phenomena.

In the case of Jamaica you do have to realise as yawn said the place was nothing more than a place slaves from africa were taken and put in bondage. It is whites who are responsible for the way jamaica is now, afterall if this slavery did not exist then jamaica now woul be full of arawak indians. Something which they don't seem to teach you in school, and I wonder why?.

Here's a point do you think that current education namely history is detrimental to blacks self esteem and consequently their performance in schools. Look at this way, alot of uneducated Blacks see their heritage as slaves. While europeans learn about the greeks,romans and recent monarchy blacks learn little about their past apart fom they were servants to europeans, this surely has to mess you up mentally.

Before anyone says tthat is blacks history I will point you to the fact that africa is the birth of human intelligence. The first egyptian civilizations were black and things like agriculture and chemistry were founded by black people. If blacks were taught thi would it help there mental slavery?

Instead they are taught that the only black that had a dream was killed. That surely has to put you off a bit on having one, wouldn't you say ?

Sj
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lmichaelroberts)
Britain is a land that belongs to white people. Obviously, white people would have privelege in their homeland. I wonder why you're not whining about chinese privelege in China, edited by pig in India or Pakistan or black privelege in Africa?
"Britain is a land that belongs to white people"

I find it hard to give any credence to that statement! :rolleyes:

On the contrary, Britain is a land that is populated by many different cultures all contributing to the economic success of the land.

Britain is 'multicultural' which means that it is not wholly populated by white British.

To compare the population of Britain with the population of the Chinese in China or indigenous people of India/Pakistan/Africa is silly. Incidentally, who ruled for very many years in the different countries of the African continent? Why - the whites' even though the land 'belonged' to the blacks - in India the same thing.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
"Britain is a land that belongs to white people"

I find it hard to give any credence to that statement! :rolleyes:

On the contrary, Britain is a land that is populated by many different cultures all contributing to the economic success of the land.

Britain is 'multicultural' which means that it is not wholly populated by white British.

To compare the population of Britain with the population of the Chinese in China or indigenous people of India/Pakistan/Africa is silly. Incidentally, who ruled for very many years in the different countries of the African continent? Why - the whites' even though the land 'belonged' to the blacks - in India the same thing.
How did the "land belong to the blacks" in Africa?
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
btw yawn, you forgot to answer my question,
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=230
wiwarin_mir
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
How did the "land belong to the blacks" in Africa?
It did not, thus the inverted commas. Land (as in a country) cannot belong to any one colour, creed or race.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
Incidentally, who ruled for very many years in the different countries of the African continent?
Italy, Portugal, France... :rolleyes:
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
I dont see what race has to do with culture. I dont like this assertion(not yours, a general one) that because I am white my culture is thus different to and needs to be qualified away from those of different races.

To compare the population of Britain with the population of the Chinese in China or indigenous people of India/Pakistan/Africa is silly.
I dont agree with him, but why is this disagreement silly if applied universally?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
btw yawn, you forgot to answer my question,
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=230
I didn't think you wanted an answer from me as you appeared to have all the answers anyway - as you usually do!

As you are chasing me for answers can you answer my question - 'are you a 'plant'?
yawn
Report 14 years ago
I dont see what race has to do with culture. I dont like this assertion(not yours, a general one) that because I am white my culture is thus different to and needs to be qualified away from those of different races.

I dont agree with him, but why is this disagreement silly if applied universally?
The Oxford dictionary defines culture as;

"customs, achievements etc. of a particular civilisation or group for example Chinese culture.

Your second point about the disagreement being silly is that the poster specifically mentioned the Chinese and indigenous populations of India/Pakistan and African continent - it was not applied universally as not all countries were included in his post.
yawn
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Italy, Portugal, France... :rolleyes:
You answered my point - thank you. :rolleyes:

Yes, they were all whites ruling in countries with indigenous populations of blacks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads