Turn on thread page Beta

White Privilege watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    please, just wise up
    I think the first poster raises some important issues don't you?

Isn't your ignorance, to the plight of a black person, that which is typified in the post? We as whites can't sympathise, as we live in a predominantly white country, and lead relatively "normal" lifestyles. We are not aware of, nor subjected to the same treatment of a black person, so how can you dismiss the issues raised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    Isn't your ignorance, to the plight of a black person, that which is typified in the post?
    The post is racist. Technik is quite right to denounce such views, even if they suggest credible accounts of racism in society, as being worthy of considered discussion.

ReputationRep:

Isn't your ignorance, to the plight of a black person, that which is typified in the post? We as whites can't sympathise, as we live in a predominantly white country, and lead relatively "normal" lifestyles. We are not aware of, nor subjected to the same treatment of a black person, so how can you dismiss the issues raised?
    Surely that goes both ways in which case he can't pass comment on white people because he isn't one. Isn't that what you're saying...

If we can't pass judgment on him because we can't sympathise surely then he can't comment on us either. I don't understand what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    The post is racist. Technik is quite right to denounce such views, even if they suggest credible accounts of racism in society, as being worthy of considered discussion.
    The post isn't racist. He doesn't insult white people or say that they are any worse because they are white. All that he did was make clear his perspective of the way that different races are treated in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    The post isn't racist. He doesn't insult white people or say that they are any worse because they are white.
    Doesnt insult?

Tell me how any of this does not discriminate based on race...

In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege,

when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment, He does not look threatening. Almost all of the people evaluating you are white. They see in you, a reflection of themselves - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. Even when lose your temper. You are not dangerous. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white.

t's a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white professors have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race

Your are accepted for graduate school by white people. Your are so deeply seduced by the culture's mythology that you can’t see the fear that was binding you to those myths. Like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work

All that he did was make clear his perspective of the way that different races are treated in this country.
    Yes, and its a perspective that suggests that whites are be default more privileged than blacks, that whites get jobs, get into university and are successful because they are white. Then to top it off, he claims that white success or power is itself racist because it happens to be held by whites irrespective of the other 99% of the white population that also live modestly or in poverty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThugzMansion7)
    edited by pig

whoa whoa whoa...

As far as I can see, he was not posting his opinion on how things should be, but an observation.

Unfortunately, racism very much exists. We can try our hardest to get round it, but people are prone to prejudice. It's human nature. To stop racial/sexual/age prejudice, we'd have to take away people's experiences and their thoughts, as well as what they have been told.

We can hope for a reduction in racism etc, but wiping it out completely would be an impossibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shootingstar)
    whoa whoa whoa...

As far as I can see, he was not posting his opinion on how things should be, but an observation.

Unfortunately, racism very much exists. We can try our hardest to get round it, but people are prone to prejudice. It's human nature. To stop racial/sexual/age prejudice, we'd have to take away people's experiences and their thoughts, as well as what they have been told.

We can hope for a reduction in racism etc, but wiping it out completely would be an impossibility.
    That is what I think. What he is posting may not be right and personally don't agree with it. But it isn't racist.

ReputationRep:

what treatment of a black person? plucking up issues from thin air. if anything, in the current state of affairs, its going to be the white person getting screwed over.

what crap are you talking...really.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I think. What he is posting may not be right and personally don't agree with it. But it isn't racist.
    It is racist, whether you agree with it or not. Perhaps you could address my post if you feel this is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    bull.

if someone had posted it from the other side of the fence, from a white perspective, you would probably be one of the first on the scene to scream the race card at whoever it was.

because theres a perception that black people are still 2nd class citizens throughout the whole of society (which is just false) we have to sit and listen to the cack blurted out in that 1st post?

if he'd posted it 20 years ago most people with sense might have listened. at the moment it holds less weight than a burst balloon. of course racism still exists, but to suggest it invades every decision at every level of society like the OP wants to tell you is simply ludicrous. you're far more likely to face discrimination on religion these days than race.

all the OP is really talking about is that whites cause/propogate the racism (which would be contested vigourously by most), so its time for some active, visible, pro-minority racism of their own (affirmative action). thats the real racism on this thread, shame many of you missed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Doesnt insult?

Tell me how any of this does not discriminate based on race...
    It is not discriminating on the basis of race. He is stateing that in his oppinion there is a cycle by which white people are more likely to suceed when applying to university or to get a job. No one can deny that this may sometimes be the case especially when it comes to jobs. There are racist people out there who will discriminate against people when it comes to hireing on the basis of race.

Racism is defined as The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
    Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

The point that this poster makes is that there is no difference in the ability of the different races but racism can account for some of the differences in terms of the way that the races are treated. He doesn't discriminate against white people or say that they are worse than other races from his post it doesn't appear that he would treat peple differently on a basis of race. Therefore I don't see how you can say he personally is racist.

He may perceive there to be racism against him with in the acedemic environment and when it comes to applying for jobs. But I don't think that this can be classed as racism. All he is saying is that he feels that the races should be treated the same.

Yes, and its a perspective that suggests that whites are be default more privileged than blacks, that whites get jobs, get into university and are successful because they are white. Then to top it off, he claims that white success or power is itself racist because it happens to be held by whites irrespective of the other 99% of the white population that also live modestly or in poverty.
    I didn't say his persepective was right just that it wasn't racist. (see point above)

ReputationRep:
    if someone had posted it from the other side of the fence, from a white perspective, you would probably be one of the first on the scene to scream the race card at whoever it was.
    I personally don't agree with what the original poster said. And while I don't feel that there is half as much racism as he states there is some so there is the chance that he had genuinly been discriminated due to race. I don't think I would say it was racist if exactly the same point was posted from the white perspective.

So while I think that there isn't as much racial discrimination in society as this person claims. And I don't realy agree with the original post I don't think it could be deffined as racist.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't agree with what the original poster said. And while I don't feel that there is half as much racism as he states there is some so there is the chance that he had genuinly been discriminated due to race. I don't think I would say it was racist if exactly the same point was posted from the white perspective.

So while I think that there isn't as much racial discrimination in society as this person claims. And I don't realy agree with the original post I don't think it could be deffined as racist.
    come on...read what was posted and do the maths.

i think the only reason that original post is being accepted is because its from a minority standpoint and its fashionable to be seen to be support the noble race cause. its sickening.

it would be very dangerous to legitimise the OPs view that every time a white person is chosen ahead of a minority its racism against said minority.

ReputationRep:
    come on...read what was posted and do the maths.

i think the only reason that original post is being accepted is because its from a minority standpoint and its fashionable to be seen to be support the noble race cause. its sickening.

it would be very dangerous to legitimise the OPs view that every time a white person is chosen ahead of a minority its racism against said minority.
    That isn't what the person is saying, well not from my interpretation anyway. I think what they are saying is that when a white person with lesser abilities and suitability is chosen for a position over someons from and ethnic minority with a greater suitability for the postition and greater abilities than racism should then be considered. However I disagree with the poster on how common this is. I would say that this problem is very rare.

ReputationRep:
    That isn't what the person is saying, well not from my interpretation anyway. I think what they are saying is that when a white person with lesser abilities and suitability is chosen for a position over someons from and ethnic minority with a greater suitability for the postition and greater abilities than racism should then be considered. However I disagree with the poster on how common this is. I would say that this problem is very rare.
    I would say that the problem is more commonplace in reverse actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I would say that the problem is more commonplace in reverse actually.
    i agree.

ReputationRep:
    It is not discriminating on the basis of race. He is stateing that in his oppinion there is a cycle by which white people are more likely to suceed when applying to university or to get a job,
    based on their race.

No one can deny that this may **SOMETIMES** be the case especially when it comes to jobs. There are racist people out there who will discriminate against people when it comes to hireing on the basis of race.
    Some people?

"In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege,"

Sometimes?
    "when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment, He does not look threatening. Almost all of the people evaluating you are white. They see in you, a reflection of themselves - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white."

Racism is defined as Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
    Of which these comments are loaded with.

The point that this poster makes is that there is no difference in the ability of the different races but racism can account for some of the differences in terms of the way that the races are treated. He doesn't discriminate against white people or say that they are worse than other races from his post it doesn't appear that he would treat peple differently on a basis of race. Therefore I don't see how you can say he personally is racist.
    and its a perspective that suggests that whites are be default more privileged than blacks, that whites get jobs, get into university and are successful because they are white. Then to top it off, he claims that white success or power is itself racist because it happens to be held by whites irrespective of the other 99% of the white population that also live modestly or in poverty.

He may perceive there to be racism against him with in the acedemic environment and when it comes to applying for jobs. But I don't think that this can be classed as racism.
    Hes not talking of a personal experience but making a statement about the society we live in. That statement is inherently based on the assumption that ALL whites, by virture of their skin colour, are treated favourably or have success in comparison to blacks. That is a pure discrimination and/or prejudice based on race.

ReputationRep:
    yup vienna. slicing with more edge than i could ever manage.

time for randdom to hit the cold showers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by denilson200)
    Most white people benefit from being white in a world run mostly by white people. Whites have privilege that is without question. White privilege, like any social phenomenon, is complex. In a white supremacist culture, all white people have privilege, whether or not they are overtly racist themselves. You walk through the world with white privilege. As Chris Rock says “There isn’t a white man in this room who would swap places with me…None of ya !!....None of ya !!......AND I’M RICH !!”

Most importantly, when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment, He does not look threatening. Almost all of the people evaluating you are white. They see in you, a reflection of themselves - and in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are not dangerous. Even when lose your temper. You are not dangerous. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white.

Henry Louis Gates Jr. once pointed out, if affirmative action policies were in place for the next hundred years, it's possible that at the end of that time the universitys could have as many mediocre minority professors as it has mediocre white professors. That isn't meant as an insult to anyone, but it's a simple observation that white privilege has meant that scores of second-rate white professors have slid through the system because their flaws were overlooked out of solidarity based on race, as well as on gender, class and ideology.

Some people resist the assertions that the England is still a bitterly racist society. But white folks have long cut other white folks a break. All your life you have been hired for jobs by white people. Your are accepted for graduate school by white people. Your are so deeply seduced by the culture's mythology that you can’t see the fear that was binding you to those myths. Like all white people, you are living with the fear that maybe you don’t really deserve your success, that maybe luck and privilege had more to do with it than brains and hard work

It seems that a negative experience with a black person cuts far deeper than if it was done by a white person. True white people may deal with micro racism from black person but we have deal with macro racism the world over. (Let me give you an example) I can call white person “A honky” “A redneck” that is a form of micro racism. White people can call black man a ***** but white people can also do things politically and economically which call a black man a *****. That is macro racism. Very few (If any) black person subject white people to macro racism.
    You make some valid points; and I don't believe this to be a racist post, whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    What's the difference between this and what the original thread started posted?

The poster has made some preconceived generalisation but i've seen worst stuff being posted here, it doesn't make it right ofcourse but I don't understand all the criticism.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.