This discussion is closed.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by vienna95)
"white people can also do things politically and economically which call a black man a *****. That is macro racism."

what can I do politically and economically to a black man?????
my reading of that quote was that simply by being white, you are being racist against black people.
Vienna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

If you read back, i also said this was based on my experiences. I also explained why.
"as im not racist i cant really say. if you ever meet one, ask"

""If i meet a racist person the chances are they won't want to talk to me"

How is that based on experience?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by randdom)
Yes he says that all white people have privilage but that doesn't mean that he is saying that the only reason that any people get where they are is because they are white.
i think thats exactly what hes saying.

in any case, he's wrong, so its hardly important anyway!
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
my reading of that quote was that simply by being white, you are being racist against black people.
Precisely, which is why it is racist.
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

did you mean to quote me?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
I'm not black. I'm white. I've always been white and I'll never know what its like to be black, however although this post does raise issues on racism its does itself no credit by making huge general sweeping statements on white people. White people are poor. White people dont get all good jobs. White people dont all go to good schools etc etc. If I had said all black people are criminals I would have been shot out of the sky. Huge sweeping statements are not good for arguements sake.

I can appreciate what the poster wrote, but making generalisations are wrong. I know many white people going through hardship. Different hardship to black people, but its not any less important.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes he says that all white people have privilage but that doesn't mean that he is saying that the only reason that any people get where they are is because they are white.
"when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack. After all, ....you’re white.""
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

I can appreciate what the poster wrote, but making generalisations are wrong. I know many white people going through hardship. Different hardship to black people, but its not any less important.
hows its different?!?!

this is the sort of thing that really riles me. its clear you agree in part or with all of the original post. thats just poor reason.

also, as an aside, you speak of generalisations being wrong, then proceed to generalise.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i think thats exactly what hes saying.

in any case, he's wrong, so its hardly important anyway!
The bit I was refering to was where he was talking about people who aren't so good getting jobs over black people who are better. Like I have said I think the scale is a bit off but I am sure it still happens.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
did you mean to quote me?
yes, because the comment in question was in response to you, there was no context of experience prior to that.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Interesting how the poster of this thread didn't even stick around to argue his point....must have realised no-one was buying his crap :rolleyes:
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

I also said that: I've spoken to racist people before. But never those with logical reasoning, because to me there is no logical reasoning for being racist. Everytime a racist person that i've spoken to says "but i have logical reasons" that i ask them to explain, they can't.

And to refer to an earlier post you made, no i won't change my font. You don't have to like it.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hows its different?!?!

this is the sort of thing that really riles me. its clear you agree in part or with all of the original post. thats just poor reason.

also, as an aside, you speak of generalisations being wrong, then proceed to generalise.
I read that quote a bit differently to you. I read it as saying that white people are by far less likely to experiance racism is this country just due to the racial make up of this country.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

I can appreciate what the KKK feel, but making generalisations is wrong. I know many black people go through hardship. Different hardship to white people, but its not any less important.

Happy with that?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The bit I was refering to was where he was talking about people who aren't so good getting jobs over black people who are better. Like I have said I think the scale is a bit off but I am sure it still happens.
im fairly sure it does, and happens equally or even more so on the flipside, with some lesser minority candidates getting preferential treatment.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sarky)

I also said that: I've spoken to racist people before. But never those with logical reasoning, because to me there is no logical reasoning for being racist. Everytime a racist person that i've spoken to says "but i have logical reasons" that i ask them to explain, they can't.
Thats irrelevant to your comment.

You said that chances are that a racist person would not talk to you. Whether they can justify themselves depends on them talking to you in the first place and is clearly not the subject of the comment.
randdom
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
im fairly sure it does, and happens equally or even more so on the flipside, with some lesser minority candidates getting preferential treatment.
Unfortunately as when applying people aren't told you are/aren't getting this job because of the colour of your skin we will never really be able to compare.
Sarky
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
hows its different?!?!

I clearly said that i agreed with part of the post. I never denied that. What i disagree with is the way the authour went about writing it. I have found certain things hard for me being black, and i would argue that had i have been white things could have been easier. That doesn't mean it was down to every white person in society. That doesn't mean white people are racist. There are racist people of all colours and yes white racism against black people is discussed more. Lots of other forms exist. But i have experienced racism from white people based on the colour of my skin.
Vienna
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Unfortunately as when applying people aren't told you are/aren't getting this job because of the colour of your skin we will never really be able to compare.
so im struggling to see how you find this justified.."when a white person seeks admission to a university, apply’s for a job, or hunts for an apartment..in a racist world, that is a big advantage. You are white. You are one of them. You are cut some slack."
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
"The bit I was refering to was where he was talking about people who aren't so good getting jobs over black people who are better. Like I have said I think the scale is a bit off but I am sure it still happens."

so you're sure it happens on one side of the coin, but then theres no ability to compare when i raise the possibility of it happening on the reverse. ok then...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.92%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.04%
Not great so far... (221)
35.99%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.06%

Watched Threads