Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    What exactly am i meant to be regretting?
    the clear implication that you would be more unlikely to have a response from a racist based on the fact that you are black. Youve dodged it for about 30mins, im willing to right it off as a natural reaction, but if you keep refusing to take responsibility for the comment then I have no option than to pursue it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But in the scene above this is a waiter making polite conversation, expressing an interest in your country, and probably practicing his English. Are you telling me you couldn't bring yourself to say more than "some do, and some don't" because if you went any further you might commit the sin of making a generalization? Give me a break.

Besides, you'll see that Sarky herself has now made a generalization. For posterity here it is,

"Black caribbeans in education don't do as well as africans, thats very true. Attitude doesn't help. But my point is that the attitude problem i have seen that holds black caribbeans back"

Not that difficult is it?

That is actually a fact Yes i'm an exception to the rule but give me a while to get the statistics and i'll post them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Among some.
    Too late. You've said it now and I didn't become debator of the year by letting people off the hook that easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    the clear implication that you would be more unlikely to have a response from a racist based on the fact that you are black.

I already explained that, i don't regret saying that at all. Based on my experiences, it is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

That is actually a fact Yes i'm an exception to the rule but give me a while to get the statistics and i'll post them.
    I know it's a fact. No need for statistics to convince me on this one and I accept your generalization.

ReputationRep:
    Too late. You've said it now and I didn't become debator of the year by letting people off the hook that easily.

I'm not saying it isn't true, it is! Just not by all black caribbeans. Of those that do worse in education, they are more likely to be caribbean boys. The boys i knew at school that were like that all had an attitude problem which held them back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

I already explained that, i don't regret saying that at all. Based on my experiences, it is true.
    - "ask a racist"
    - "they are less likely to respond to me".

What IN YOUR EXPERIENCE suggests that a racist will be less likely to talk to you than in MY EXPERIENCE?

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, i'm off to revise. Very interesting debate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Anyway, i'm off to revise. Very interesting debate!
    so soon?

ReputationRep:
    so soon?
    Don't be mean Vienna.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Anyway, i'm off to revise.
    It's a bit late to revise for me.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be mean Vienna.
    hehe, so Im the neighbourhood *****, the forum has made me what I am.

ReputationRep:
    the clear implication that you would be more unlikely to have a response from a racist based on the fact that you are black. Youve dodged it for about 30mins, im willing to right it off as a natural reaction, but if you keep refusing to take responsibility for the comment then I have no option than to pursue it.
    Her original coment makes perfect sense. If somebody is racist towards black people ie they discriminate against them. It makes sense that they would be less likely to talk to someone who is black than to someone who is white because they have a problem with them due to them being racist. I really don't see what the issue is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Her original coment makes perfect sense. If somebody is racist towards black people ie they discriminate against them. It makes sense that they would be less likely to talk to someone who is black than to someone who is white because they have a problem with them due to them being racist. I really don't see what the issue is.
    That was my point exactly. Of course if you want to be pedantic, that wouldn't apply to a black person who was racist against white people. I was specifically referring to the racist people i have met who had a problem with black people. I answered this point a number of times.

Plus the fact that Vienna edited his/her original message, i replied to your original comment, which was slightly different. I take responsibility for all my comments.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, right well I just saw this here and was like :eek:

Anyway, I didn't have time to read the whole thing, but 1st off I must congratulate Randdom on her efforts (yes, I agree with what you had to say, you were well spoken ). Then secondly, as a student entering third year in psychology (including neuropsych) and biology, studying sociology on the side - many in my year would argue that there is no such thing as "race" at all :confused: Just human variation :cool: It's like, I think it was mentioned in one of my biology units there there's only something like a 0.002% difference btw our genes, so we're all like inbred anyway (some less than others). Yeah so, this whole argument could be fundamentally flawed.

That said, it appears the original poster may've been talking about the supposed 'social' consequences of looking a certain way. In that case, he could've been a bit more open minded and used words like 'Some' people, instead of 'all' - that would've helped him a lot, I think. Otherwise I don't think he intended any harm, as Randdom has mentioned earlier - he must've just been posting about his observations throughout his life?

Wow, didn't realise this thread would become so long, lol!

Anyway will now place a happy dancing marshmellow dude to brighten up the place a bit :marchmell:

DB_x

(Original post by technik)
    i didnt use the word

but as 99.5% of the population here in my area is white, i dont see much chance
    Would you ever have a close relationship with a Catholic?

Yet, that is exactly what the author of the thread post did, and you decided it wasnt racist. How dare he suggest that I got where I am today because of my skin colour.
    Stop being defensive by attacking.

The poster did not suggest that you got where you are today (wherever that is!) because of your skin colour. For all the poster knows, you could be black.

The poster said that it was more likely that he/she would not get where you are today because he/she is black.

You are adept at distorting opinions, but it doesn't make you right. So stop pretending to rant.

(Original post by technik)
    please, just wise up
    By your own admission you have stated that you live in a place where 99.5% of the population is white.

I have lived in areas where 99.5% of the population is black. I have seen blacks in those areas denied the same opportunities as the whites. The miniscule percentage of whites have been in positions of authority and power over those blacks.

Your opinion is not based on experience - mine is. Who needs to 'wise up'?

Of course I don't know every black person and of course some are real grafters, really apply themselves, aspire, and suceed. I raise my glass to each of them.

But, that doesn't mean my "generalization" isn't very well deserved "generally" so I make absolutely no apology. Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say "we (blacks) are really doing the best "generally" we can and applying ourselves"? Because if you can't do that (and I don't think you honestly can "generally" then I think you should be looking closer to home for reasons for black failure rather than blaming whites and moaning about the slave trade.

I can remember a thread you were taking part in Howie from a few months back.

The poster was black - you 'flammed' him and then said you were entitled to do that as you were black.

Were you lying just to gain advantage? If so I am disappointed as I thought you would be one of the last people on this forum to do that.

I'm asking her to reflect on her experiences, the black people she knows, etc.

I can make lots of generalizations about white English people because I am one which makes me something of an expert. She should be able to comment generally about being a black Brit.
    Just got down to this post - Howie, you are a lying git :eek:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.