Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hope you won't mind this question isn't really about Newcastle UNIS, but i reckoned it'd be best forum to post in still, no?

Question:
    What good Sixth Form school or A level colleges are there in Newcastle?

And how is Newcastle? Atmosphere, studentlife? Nice streets and any good shopping? Any nice clubs within the indie, retro, twee or retro soul range?

And is it true that north England is much cheaper than south (food, drinks, rents - i've heard sometimes that EVERYTHING magically is cheaper?)

ReputationRep:
    Im not so sure about the sixth forms but I know my friends at a really good one in newcastle,I think you need to get A's to get in it but there are plenty of great sixth forms in Newcastle.

The atmosphere is great i reckon,Its really friendly and the shoppings fab! We have one of the largest shopping centres in europe and a shopping centre in the heart of newcastle aswell.The studentlife is great! the nightclubs are amazing you could easily still be partying at 6 in the morning lol.

North is much much cheaper than south,My cousins girlfriends from london and she used to love coming up here to do some crazy shopping sprees and now shes moved up here.

Hope this helps,If you want to know anything else just ask

ReputationRep:
    im a teesside lad and although il say it through gritted teeth, newcastle is by far the best night out ive ever had. the clubs are truly amazing and yes the above poster is right you could party all night. yes its reallly friendly and cheap and the atmosphere is great: its big but not too big, you wont feel confused or lost hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    For Sixth Forms I'd say Heaton Manor, Emmanuelle in Gateshead or possibly Gosforth.

ReputationRep:
    Well Newcastle College is seen as a "beacon college" - one of about ten in the country - and I suppose it has alright facilities. The sixth form building is ten floors, suggesting its size.

That said, I wasn't too keen on my time there. Several have said it's quite cliquey and it's probably more impersonal than smaller colleges. They've also got a fetish for ice breaker activities.

(Original post by Mr Intensity)
    Emmanuelle in Gateshead
    Everyone I know who went school there calls it "Emanuhell". :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    Everyone I know who went school there calls it "Emanuhell". :P
    Where I went everyone called them the clever/posh $%^&s

Never really considered Newcastle College, I did a couple of little non-sixth form courses there and didn't think too much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Intensity)
    Where I went everyone called them the clever/posh $%^&s
    Could probably agree with that too, from what I remember of the Emmanuel people at college they were all slightly stuck up and acted a bit above you if you weren't in with their friends. :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juustuburger)
    Could probably agree with that too, from what I remember of the Emmanuel people at college they were all slightly stuck up and acted a bit above you if you weren't in with their friends. :shifty:
    Well, I don't know where that would come from as the socio-economic background of their pupils is usually below average. They are often from the more deprived areas of Tyneside (the whole ethos behind the school).

Anyway, OP, Newcastle is often seen as being the top student city and party city in the country. Its nightlife is famous. It has been voted as the top party city in the country, one of the world's top five and also the top British city to live, study and work in. It's experienced quite a rejuvination and renaissance in the past decade.

I do feel Newcastle's nightlife is slightly overrated. However, I'm not one for clubbing. Whenever I express this view I'm met with quite baffled gazes :laugh: You have people coming from across the country (and even, occasionally, from the continent) to experience it at the weekends so I guess I'm in the minority. I do know that there are plenty of alternative clubs and nights out.

Newcastle also offers some great theatre (second home of the Royal Shakespeare Company) and a good music scene so it's not all about its club scene. It could do with more venues, although the city centre is quite compact so that's why it probably does have that extra mid-large size venue or two. But there's still plenty going on. Its independent and local scene is vibrant, some really great local bands. I think it has the highest number of unsigned bands of any UK city outside London.

For shopping there's Eldon Square, which I think is Europe's largest city centre shopping compex, and the Metro Centre, Europe's (or at least the EU's) largest out of town shopping centre. So it'll probably meet the needs of most.

Getting around Newcastle is quite easy. It's a compact city centre, you can walk from one end to the other in the best part of an hour. I think it's the perfect size. It also has one of the country's most integrated public transport systems, with good bus and metro links (the metro's like a light rail network, in between the underground and an overground tram system). The metro is starting to show its age though (it's more than 25 years old) but has just received a very funding boost so there should be improvements in the next few years.

There's the Visit Newcastle-Gateshead site (but be aware that it's geared up towards tourists, so may "advertise" things a bit, but it'll give you a fair idea of the things on offer).

http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/cityguideIndex.php?

Yes, the cost of living certainly is lower in the north. I wouldn't say it "magically" lower. Most countries have a higher cost of living in and around the capital and, in the more provincial areas, a lower cost of living. Of course there are still pockets and small areas where the cost of living can match much of the south, but Newcastle's quite reasonable. Salaries are also lower in the north compared to the south, so the cost of living is lower and helps to compensate.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle's nightlife is well-known as one of the best in the country. There is a wide range of music played in the clubs, e.g. there is Stonelove on a Thursday night at Digital and Bulletproof at the Carling Academy on a Saturday which play Indie/Rock music, Liquid which tends to play Dance music, Basement which plays a mixture of everything! There's loads of choice - they are just a few examples off the top of my head.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been to Newcastle quite a few times and I must say although I love Liverpool and I support Liverpool through and through that Newcastle is an amazing city.

If your into the clubbing type of scene you will absolutely love it here. The nightlife is superb from "The Gate" and "Players" to "Sam Jacks" and Tiger Tiger. Then you can just head towards Liquid or Digital or down to Quayside...

Ive also been up to Newcastle for Clubland live at Newcastle Metro Arena and may I say I had one of the best nights of my life with the geordies up there.

The architecture and culture is fantastic and getting around isn't that expensive tbh either!...

Eldon Square is a big shopping centre but it isnt the biggest, sorry Geordies:laughing: ...Liverpool One is the biggest Shopping centre in europe now and thats ahead of the Metro Shopping Centre where I got lost in!!

I have a lot of friends up in the north east so if u want to know anything more then just let me know...

Its such a lovely place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corky_LFC)
    Eldon Square is a big shopping centre but it isnt the biggest, sorry Geordies:laughing: ...Liverpool One is the biggest Shopping centre in europe now and thats ahead of the Metro Shopping Centre where I got lost in!!
    Sorry, but Liverpool One isn't the largest shopping centre in Europe (techincally the MetroCentre isn't - a shopping centre in Turkey surpassed it in 2006, I think. Just no one thinks Turkey's in Europe)

Liverpool One may be the largest city centre shopping (centre) but Eldon Square's just had an extension and refurbishment. They are now claiming to be the largest in Europe which is nonsnse. The extension hasn't increased its size by that much.

But the MetroCentre's definately larger than Liverpool One.

MetroCentre 1.7 million square feet. Liverpool 1.4 million square feet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ingdom_by_size

It hasn't been marketng itself as the largest in Europe, has it? You aren't the first person I've hard say that. If they are they are telling porky pies.

ReputationRep:
    ok then it isnt sorry if it caused offence, its just I went for an interview at Liverpool One and the marketing boss told me its the biggest shopping centre in Europe but suppose there wrong

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended at all! I'm just pedantic :yep:

That's marketing people for you. They'll tell you owt. The MetroCentre also tell porkypies, by claiming they are still the largest in Europe. The Turkish shopping centre is in the European part of Turkey so.....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm a local and I still thought that the MetroCentre was the largest in Europe!

ReputationRep:
    I shall answer your question about indie clubs.
    Cooperage on a monday.
    Stonelove @ digital on a thursday
    Other rooms on a friday
    Propaganda @ legends on a friday (once monthly)
    Bulletproof @ carling academy on a sat.
    Deffo all ones that I would rate!

Also in terms of bars; the end bar, dog and parrott and gotham are all ones that i would give an indie stamp too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FEM)
    I shall answer your question about indie clubs.
    Cooperage on a monday.
    Stonelove @ digital on a thursday
    Other rooms on a friday
    Propaganda @ legends on a friday (once monthly)
    Bulletproof @ carling academy on a sat.
    Deffo all ones that I would rate!

Also in terms of bars; the end bar, dog and parrott and gotham are all ones that i would give an indie stamp too.

The cooperage has been closed for a while now, but it used to be great =[
    WHQ is has quite a few alternative nights on as well =]

-x-

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.