Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've seen conflicting information - some sources say before Christmas, others say not until January. When does Oxford make offers? Or do the colleges themselves make offers, and if so are they at different times?

ReputationRep:
    Universities hand out offers throughout the year. Offers start beeing sent out during october. The earlier you send off the more like ly you'll get an offer.

Oxbridge and veternary you want to have sent them off in late septemeber/october and they'll get back to you generally after about 6 weeks...or so I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    The maths interviews end on a Wednesday (and they're the last ones). Most people on TSR heard on the Saturday of that week, but some people had to wait till Monday. Those who got pooled had to wait a bit longer.

Cambridge offers are usually around Christmas/New Year.

(the above is based on last year's information)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Oxford tells you before Christmas, Cambridge after...

ReputationRep:
    oxford is b4 christmas

ReputationRep:
    everyone i know last year got offers before christmas for oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford offers come out about a week after interviews finish. The earliest i've ever heard someone find out is the friday of following the maths interviews finishing on the wednesday. Most people will hear between then and the following wednesday. Each college more or less sends out their decisions all together- but don't read anything into receiving a letter sooner or later than others, it's really meaningless. Likewise some people get sent a thick wad if they've got an offer, others just a single piece of paper. You can't tell by how thick the envelope is (although you can by looking inside it).

ReputationRep:
    They will be sent at the earliest on Thursday 18th December.

ReputationRep:
    ~ december 20th

ReputationRep:
    great , could make or break my 18th birthday celebrations (23rd Dec)

ReputationRep:
    Are you guys positive it'll be before Christmas?

That would be SO AWESOME if I found out before Christmas and I got in. Oh my gosh, then I wouldn't have to apply to any of the US schools! It would save me so much money and anxiety. Ahh, I hope I get an offer...

ReputationRep:
    Okay this may sound stupid... but

do we get notified by email as well as a letter?

ReputationRep:
    There are a few different ways you could hear.

A letter will definitely get sent. Some tutors also like to phone you up to tell you, which is nice. When I got mine I was actually having to screen my phone calls to avoid a stalker (long story). Sat in agony, ignoring the ringing, then 1471ed it to hear it was an Oxford dialing code, and was now engaged when I tried to ring back. Was a nerve wracking few minutes trying to get through....

Not heard of anyone getting an email, though, I have to say.

As others have said it will be about a week. You'll definitely hear before Christmas yay or nay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zephyranthus)

i got a letter. oxford don't seem to like using the e-mail system for anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madima)
    i got a letter. oxford don't seem to like using the e-mail system for anything.
    Will that be different for internationals? It literally took weeks for their acknowledgement letter to get to my mail box... and I just can't wait for another 38 weeks before I get to know whether I got in or not!

Oh and - will they update Track as soon as a decision is made?

ReputationRep:
    track gets updated in like january i think. i imagine intnl applicants still just get letters and/or phone calls

ReputationRep:
    Will that be different for internationals? It literally took weeks for their acknowledgement letter to get to my mail box... and I just can't wait for another 38 weeks before I get to know whether I got in or not!

Oh and - will they update Track as soon as a decision is made?
    i *think* internationals find out before UK applicants somehow, so either the decision letters get posted earlier or they get an e-mail (not sure which they do). my track updated like 2 to 3 days after my offer.

ReputationRep:
    I got an email and a letter, it really depends on the college

ReputationRep:

Not automatically, some colleges will let you request it, but generally I think this is only for students living abroad, in a country where the post might take a long time (when I helped at the interviews, I know that a couple of people from Hong Kong, someone from Columbia and someone from South Africa were all told they could be emailed.) They're not particularly keen on doing it though for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges will email you a computer copy of the decision letter if you ask them to, particularly for internationals. New fangled ideas like contacting applicants by email hasn't really caught on by default, although some colleges might. I think it's just a case of it being seen as an informal way of communicating so maybe not appropriate. I know plenty of older people who'd take that view- so it's not just Oxford being archaic.

Track isn't normally updated for ages (like january time).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.