The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Joint Honours Personal Statement

So I'm applying for Psychology at all universities (Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge, Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology at Manchester, Psychology at York, Cognitive Sciences (Humanities) at Edinburgh (which is just a mix of psychology, philosophy, linguistics and computer science) and Psychology at St Andrews).
This is my issue: I want to apply for Psychology and German at St Andrews not just Psychology. I know that I can enter applying to just Psychology, but I would rather have it set in stone from the get go that I'm studying Psychology AND German. The Oxbridge application deadline is SUPER close now so I don't want to make any major changes to my personal statement. It is (at the moment) on Psychology (with half a paragraph on ethics) and I don't want to add any German because psych and German is a niche course and I'm not applying for it anywhere else.
My main question is would I be better off applying to just Psychology at St Andrews or should I see if they'll accept me onto the Psych+German course with a personal statement based (pretty much) solely on Psychology?
Also don't think it is random that I only have one choice for German. I have plans to study German outside of my main course if I end up going to any of the other universities, it's just that so few universities that I would be happy going to offer Psychology and German.
Original post by Anonymous
I know that I can enter applying to just Psychology, but I would rather have it set in stone from the get go that I'm studying Psychology AND German.

As in I know I can apply to just Psychology and then go on to study Psychology and German, but I just want to make sure (if that makes sense) that I will be from the get go.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
So I'm applying for Psychology at all universities (Psychological and Behavioural Sciences at Cambridge, Cognitive Neuroscience and Psychology at Manchester, Psychology at York, Cognitive Sciences (Humanities) at Edinburgh (which is just a mix of psychology, philosophy, linguistics and computer science) and Psychology at St Andrews).
This is my issue: I want to apply for Psychology and German at St Andrews not just Psychology. I know that I can enter applying to just Psychology, but I would rather have it set in stone from the get go that I'm studying Psychology AND German. The Oxbridge application deadline is SUPER close now so I don't want to make any major changes to my personal statement. It is (at the moment) on Psychology (with half a paragraph on ethics) and I don't want to add any German because psych and German is a niche course and I'm not applying for it anywhere else.
My main question is would I be better off applying to just Psychology at St Andrews or should I see if they'll accept me onto the Psych+German course with a personal statement based (pretty much) solely on Psychology?
Also don't think it is random that I only have one choice for German. I have plans to study German outside of my main course if I end up going to any of the other universities, it's just that so few universities that I would be happy going to offer Psychology and German.

I don't have direct experience of applying for a joint degree but my daughter did successfully apply to St Andrews last year and so I've seen the process close up. My advice would be to apply for just Psychology because your application for a joint degree will be very weak without something in your personal statement on German. I think both departments review the application. Also, as I think you know, the St Andrews course structure is very flexible. If you are offered a place for Psychology then you will have to study two other subjects in first year and can pick German then . You can continue to pursue both subjects and switch to a joint degree. A large number of students end up studying something other than the subject they applied for. Hope that helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by S1098
I don't have direct experience of applying for a joint degree but my daughter did successfully apply to St Andrews last year and so I've seen the process close up. My advice would be to apply for just Psychology because your application for a joint degree will be very weak without something in your personal statement on German. I think both departments review the application. Also, as I think you know, the St Andrews course structure is very flexible. If you are offered a place for Psychology then you will have to study two other subjects in fist year and can pick German then . You can continue to pursue both subjects and switch to a joint degree. A large number of students end up studying something other than the subject they applied for. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much, that makes me feel a lot more confident in applying now! I'll apply to just Psychology! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for your daughter to receive an offer after she applied?
Reply 4
Thank you very much, that makes me feel a lot more confident in applying now! I'll apply to just Psychology! If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for your daughter to receive an offer after she applied?

My daughter applied in October and didn't get an offer until March. St Andrews do give out a handful of early offers but most people didn't get offers until much later. Her offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews came in the same week!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by S1098
My daughter applied in October and didn't get an offer until March. St Andrews do give out a handful of early offers but most people didn't get offers until much later. Her offers from Edinburgh and St Andrews came in the same week!

That's quite a while! Thank you very much tho :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending