Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does practically everyone here hate SOAS? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering really, as some people have been pretty rude about the place tbh, so I'd be interested to know what's so damn unsavoury about it?

ReputationRep:
    i dont hate it.
    who hates it?
    proof! i demand proof.

ReputationRep:
    When I visited it, I didn't like it... Though I haven't been rude about it to the best of my knowledge!

ReputationRep:
    its ****

ReputationRep:
    But why is it **** lol?

They do? I haven't seen any of this. TBH, I would've thought, based on the reactions of people I know when I tell them where I'm applying, that there wouldn't be enough people who actually know what it is for "practically everyone" to hate it.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been there myself but people on here that go there seem to like it and I've applied there so I hope it's not too bad! Obviously, it's not the only uni I've applied to :p:

ReputationRep:
    There's your proof btw lol

ReputationRep:
    (a general question open to all to whom it is relavant) what have you applied/are applying for?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, just wanted to capture a microcosm of the opinions in their entirety

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate it; they just ask for ridiculously high entry requirements for my course when their reputation for it is really low.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to King's, UCL, Warwick, Oxford and SOAS and I've had an offer for Law from SOAS. U?

(Original post by Lizsco3)
    I don't hate it; they just ask for ridiculously high entry requirements for my course when their reputation for it is really low.
    What course would that be, out of interest?

Edit - Natsuko, I seem to be the only person in the world who is applying for Ancient Near Eastern Studies at SOAS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Politics.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen any SAOS bashing going on in TSR.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Japanese to Cambridge (Clare), Leeds, Edinburgh, SOAS and Sheffield. I was going to apply to Manchester instead of SOAS but I changed it at the last last minute because SOAS is better at my subject so I figured I could handle living in London if it came to it.

(Original post by Lizsco3)
    Politics.
    Bloody hell. AAA for #18 in the rankings? What on Earth led to that?

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell. AAA for #18 in the rankings? What on Earth led to that?
    Lol...I know! I didn't do A-Levels (I did IB), and the grades they ask for at IB match those asked by Oxbridge. So yes, I don't hate SOAS...I just won't be applying there!

Ancient Near Eastern Studies sounds like a really cool course btw

ReputationRep:

Edit - Natsuko, I seem to be the only person in the world who is applying for Ancient Near Eastern Studies at SOAS
    That sounds very interesting! What sort of things do you study on such a course? I bet your choices of unis were even more limited than mine! I thought I'd have a tough time finding people even interested in Japanese on here, let alone anyone doing/applying for it at uni (everyone at school thinks I'm crazy, although perhaps they're not far off the mark, and my French teacher was very disapointed! She's recentlty accused me of trying to lure her AS protégé away from French, that was funny. Anyway, back to the subject...). But when I started a thread about it, I was suprised. Have you tried that?

ReputationRep:
    hebrew and israeli studies, no offer (yet) :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.