Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I was looking at some University league tables with universities in the Top30 out of like 113. Then I was looking at the Universties Mathematics Degree Entry Requirements and it ranged from AAA-BBC and you don't AS/A-level Further Maths! How come the entry requirements have fallen and making it easier for people to do a degree in Mathematics? Also I noticed the Universties had high graduate prospects aswel!

Please post relevant comments below !

Thanks

Amit

ReputationRep:
    because it is really hard.

ReputationRep:
    probably because its not an "exiting" degree and so it became less popular?

ReputationRep:
    it's not a very popular degree, it's hard but so so going to be worth it! and tbf, the entry requirements aren't that leniant really. further maths seems preferable and tends to lower lots of "standard offers" by a grade in the third subject

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge is not easy to get into for maths. Bloody STEP papers.

All the universities I applied to required further maths to at least AS level, and further maths is hard, especially FP2 and M5 (admittedly not in the AS level, but four of my offers included A in A level further maths), so I don't really know.

It's good, though. Not easy at degree level, I'm finding, but good.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has the opportunity to take further maths at A-level, so universities can't have a blanket requirement for it.

And I think that most decent universities will still require AAB-AAA at least, I'm thinking Oxbridge, Imperial, Warwick, KCL, York, Bath, Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol etc.

ReputationRep:
    BECAUSE MATHS IS BORING.

unless you are one of the small minority who really love maths...

ReputationRep:
    the courses are only 'easy to get into' if the university offering it is poor

try getting into oxbridge/durham/warwick etc for maths... not easy

ReputationRep:
    It was AAA-BBC without Further Maths and with Further Maths lowest was BCC! These unis I looked at had 70%+ Graduate Proespects!! I was shocked!

ReputationRep:
    Because if your not good at it you'll fail anyway.. You'll find all the good universities require FMath anyway. A lot of maths undergraduates fail/leave, your pretty much guaranteed a good graduate, if they actually manage to get to the end... hence the high graduate prospects.

Entry requirements aren't that low anyway.... at any university.... Most sciences are like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Because if your not good at it you'll fail anyway.. You'll find all the good universities require FMath anyway. A lot of maths undergraduates fail/leave, your pretty much guaranteed a good graduate, if they actually manage to get to the end... hence the high graduate prospects.
    As far as I'm aware only UCL require further maths. It is recommended elsewhere but not required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bean87)
    the courses are only 'easy to get into' if the university offering it is poor

try getting into oxbridge/durham/warwick etc for maths... not easy
    completely agree, it is not fair to say it is an easy subject to get into because it isn't. It all depends on where you apply. Also further maths can not be asked for at A level as it is not taught everywhere. however most of the places I applied say they very much prefer it.

There are still many high end unis that require A's. Even those that want lower grades than straight A's ie manchester ABB will give you money if you get AAB or AAA.

Also other place such as Warwick, Oxford and Cambridge ask for STEP, AEA, or have their own entrance tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Because if your not good at it you'll fail anyway.. You'll find all the good universities require FMath anyway.
    St Andrews offered me AAB in any subjects I wanted (including General Studies, as far as I'm aware)- and they were ranked 3rd in the country for maths in The Times league tables at the time.

ReputationRep:
    also at the top unis (correct me if im wrong) they will require A's in all core modules

so for someone like me with AAA, including maths, i would have no chance, as i dont have further maths and i didnt get A's in all the core modules. there you go, a 'straight A student' not getting in... proof that its in no way easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Hey guys,

I was looking at some University league tables with universities in the Top30 out of like 113. Then I was looking at the Universties Mathematics Degree Entry Requirements and it ranged from AAA-BBC and you don't AS/A-level Further Maths! How come the entry requirements have fallen and making it easier for people to do a degree in Mathematics? Also I noticed the Universties had high graduate prospects aswel!

Thanks

Amit
    I agree requiring just one grade B is a bit low for mathematics personally - but the admissions tutors at lesser unis have to adjust with the fact quite a lot of the talent will go for the "COWI" group (Oxbridge , Warwick , Imperial).

Our mathematics offers are quite demanding at Nottingham incidentally , a few people applying for G100/G103 have been asked for AA in Maths + FM and a B in another subject.

I find it a bit of a joke that people haven't come across even basic addition/subtraction of matrices and basic concepts with complex numbers (arguments , arithmetic operations) and embark on a mathematics degree.I don't think unis should strictly require FM because as Creole said it's not necessarily that accessible (I read it independently and took the exams) but there should expect you to have done some reading beyond C1-C4 (like how Warwick IIRC send questions before you start to be handed in as a diagnostic).Enough of the rant anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Their not easy to get into, they're just easier. By that I mean, less people are opting to do it so universities accept many people of all grade scores. Where as courses like economics and medicine there are more applicants so they chose the best of the best

ReputationRep:
    UCL Requires A Grades in Maths and Further Maths, and in one other subject.

They're thinking of asking for A* grades (90+ in C3 and C4) in Maths A Level, when they come into existence

Although I personally think they should start interviewing everyone applying for Maths at UCL. It's really easy to be bad at Maths and still get good A Level grades, or be good at Maths and still get lower grades. A level maths identifies people who are good at memorising, rather than people who are intelligent, I think... But in interviews you can tell who has that "spark" a bit more easily.

To quote the admissions tutor: "Accepting people onto a Maths course because they've done well at A-Level is like accepting people onto an English course because they're good at spelling"

ReputationRep:
    Lack of supply, 'innit? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    Hey guys,

Thanks

Amit
    An increasing number of maths departments are having trouble filling up their places, as a decreasing number of A-level students chose not to pursue their interest in mathematics at a higher level level (prefering subjects that are perceived to be leading on to more lucrative careers like engineering, economics or accounting and finance.)

Some places like Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick and a few others don't seem to have this problem though, as a significant number of those who choose to study maths in the end will aim for the best departments. So entry requirements can be kept high and even increased every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    I agree requiring just one grade B is a bit low for mathematics personally - but the admissions tutors at lesser unis have to adjust with the fact quite a lot of the talent will go for the "COWI" group (Oxbridge , Warwick , Imperial).

Our mathematics offers are quite demanding at Nottingham incidentally , a few people applying for G100/G103 have been asked for AA in Maths + FM and a B in another subject.

I find it a bit of a joke that people haven't come across even basic addition/subtraction of matrices and basic concepts with complex numbers (arguments , arithmetic operations) and embark on a mathematics degree.I don't think unis should strictly require FM because as Creole said it's not necessarily that accessible (I read it independently and took the exams) but there should expect you to have done some reading beyond C1-C4 (like how Warwick IIRC send questions before you start to be handed in as a diagnostic).Enough of the rant anyway.
    Why is a bit of a joke? You fail to recognise that some people from a less fortunate educational background don't even know that it's possible to self-study A-levels, or simply the thought never crosses their mind. Thankfully, University Maths departments aren't so short sighted and realise that a deficiency in knowledge a) doesn't mean the deficit can't be made up b) does not mean you aren't intelligent. They also realise that the additional techniques you learn in further maths are so easy it takes only a short amount of time to learn the topics - most of the topics you learn at University will be new to both people who've taken Maths and people who've taken Maths + FM.

At the end of the day University Maths is about talent, not how much you've learnt. Extra reading is in no way required.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.