Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barny)
    Why is a bit of a joke? You fail to recognise that some people from a less fortunate educational background don't even know that it's possible to self-study A-levels, or simply the thought never crosses their mind. Thankfully, University Maths departments aren't so short sighted and realise that a deficiency in knowledge a) doesn't mean the deficit can't be made up b) does not mean you aren't intelligent. They also realise that the additional techniques you learn in further maths are so easy it takes only a short amount of time to learn the topics - most of the topics you learn at University will be new to both people who've taken Maths and people who've taken Maths + FM.

At the end of the day University Maths is about talent, not how much you've learnt. Extra reading is in no way required.
    I'd agree with that... plus with all the different sylabus'... Different exam boards... Highers.... IB... etc.. They can't assume any knowledge anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barny)
    Why is a bit of a joke? You fail to recognise that some people from a less fortunate educational background don't even know that it's possible to self-study A-levels, or simply the thought never crosses their mind. Thankfully, University Maths departments aren't so short sighted and realise that a deficiency in knowledge a) doesn't mean the deficit can't be made up b) does not mean you aren't intelligent. They also realise that the additional techniques you learn in further maths are so easy it takes only a short amount of time to learn the topics - most of the topics you learn at University will be new to both people who've taken Maths and people who've taken Maths + FM.

At the end of the day University Maths is about talent, not how much you've learnt. Extra reading is in no way required.
    You're right on one count : uni maths is about talent rather than background and very good A2 Maths students can easily bridge the gap if they work but I don't really agree with you about it being "unfair".There's no reason why they can't just send you material through the post once your place is confirmed and tell you to read it for an exam if you're only doing C1-C4. Use problems classes if people find it difficult but I don't see why lecturers should really need to cover very basic topics like I described in the main material.

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was unfair, just that ability != knowledge. You can be a perfectly able Maths students with single A-level Maths. The fact that you acknowledge that statement and still maintain that having extra basic knowledge should be a pre-requisuite, confuses me.

Why send people material on how to add matrices when a lecturer can start from scratch, teaching the subject as a coherent whole and conveying the style of University mathematics to the students in the process? It's necessary to have some easy material in order for the students to learn how to study independently and for them to calibrate University teaching/notation with their previous experiences. As far as I remember adding Matrices took about 10/45 mins of a lecture last year, I don't see what advantages will be realised by making students learn this material in advance?

I think the time before University would be better spent gaining some life experience and broadening your horizons rather than learning extra maths, given that most students arrive horrendously immature and with shocking work ethics. This no doubt will serve them better throughout their degree than prior knowledge of how to add matrices.

ReputationRep:
    It should be remembered that A-Level mathematics, including further maths, only teaches the material in a very superficial way, and is assessed in such a manner that students can do very well with only a cursory understanding of the operations and objects they're dealing with.

Even if everyone did further maths, universities would still probably go over old core material for these very reasons, and to identify and rectify any bad habits students have carried over from A-Level. This is also why single maths A-Level students sometimes do better than their counterparts who did further maths - they're learning the material afresh in such a way that's expected of them and is appropriate for undergraduate study.

ReputationRep:
    They have lower entry requirements purely because less people want to do the subject. For example my youngest sister wants to do English Literature at university and the entry requirements are very high (AAA - ABB for any decent uni). My middle sister does Chemistry at a v good uni but her entry requirements were only BBC. Does that mean that English Literature is a better or harder degree than Chemistry - of course it doesn't - its just that subjects like English and History are a lot more popular than the Sciences or Maths.

And on the note about taking further maths before going to uni - there was no opportunity for me to take further maths at my sixth form. However, the uni went over the further Maths syllabus in just a few weeks or so (don't know the exact period as it was all new to me and I dont know what the FM syllabus is) - so those who had done FM had an advantage but at least after a couple of months everyone was then on the same level and its a level playing field.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the posts guys! TSR has helped me alot in different ways!

ReputationRep:
    Well I have just started my first year at Chester Uni doing single honour maths. (I went there because I live so close and though the course would be ok) There are some people on my course that got E's at Alevel Maths, I coudlnt believe it. Infact I don't know many there that got A's at all. Im thinking of dropping out and applying for another uni in 2010, I'm just not being pushed atall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trianglegirl)
    Well I have just started my first year at Chester Uni doing single honour maths. (I went there because I live so close and though the course would be ok) There are some people on my course that got E's at Alevel Maths, I coudlnt believe it. Infact I don't know many there that got A's at all. Im thinking of dropping out and applying for another uni in 2010, I'm just not being pushed atall
    What sort of grades did you get at A-level?

ReputationRep:
    AAAC Studying Maths, Further Maths Computing and Physics

ReputationRep:
    AAAC Studying Maths, Further Maths Computing and Physics
    Ouch. That does look like a pretty serious mismatch between you and the 'typical' student at your Uni.

Before you drop out, if I were you, I would speak to your director of studies. Even at a 'weak' university, I think you will find the senior lecturers are still very able and knowledgeable and will be able to relate to your situation. They may well be able to help in many different ways, from helping you find a better university to letting you do some 2nd/3rd year courses to simply helping you make much more out of your current courses.

And if they can't help, at least you've tried. Then you can decide to drop out if you really think it's best.

ReputationRep:
    I agree you should drop out and try to go somewhere better. I think you should just drop out now and apply to a better uni. Its not to late to change, the deadline is like in two days. If you drop out this year, I think you can start uni in the end of 2009.

(Original post by DFranklin)
    I think you will find the senior lecturers are still very able and knowledgeable and will be able to relate to your situation.They may well be able to help in many different ways, from helping you find a better university to letting you do some 2nd/3rd year courses to simply helping you make much more out of your current courses
    I disagree. Firstly, have you looked at the modules offered and grades required to get in. Somebody who has got three A's shouldn't be going to Chester. With three A's you could get into a top five uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    I disagree. Firstly, have you looked at the modules offered and grades required to get in. Somebody who has got three A's shouldn't be going to Chester. With three A's you could get into a top five uni.
    And if that's what you want to do, you are going to manage far better if you do it with the knowledge and support of your current lecturers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    And if that's what you want to do, you are going to manage far better if you do it with the knowledge and support of your current lecturers.
    Speaking to your course directors would be a good thing to do but really I don't really think they can do a lot to help you on an individual level - this is because , as you say the standard of the freshers there is unbelievably weak.(They say you need at least a C in A2 Maths on their website which is quite a low level but not so unbelievable).There's little point sitting second and third year modules but I agree they could help you apply to a uni with much better standards.

Don't waste your time and whither on the vine at Chester - it's not really worth continuing and you might become demotivated and lose interest completely.I bet they have to go really slowly and reteach a lot of regular A2 material which must be quite frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
    Speaking to your course directors would be a good thing to do but really I don't really think they can do a lot to help you on an individual level - this is because , as you say the standard of the freshers there is unbelievably weak.
    But that doesn't mean the standard of the lecturers is. I've actually been in a similar (albeit less extreme) position twice (once attending lectures pre-university, once doing an MSc), and I still learned a lot by working 'at a higher level' while ostensibly doing the same material.

But you really can't tell what is or isn't possible without speaking to your course directors.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=conroe-killed-the-k8-star]
    Don't waste your time and whither on the vine at Chester...[QUOTE]

Oh...I applied there '.' it's local and a back up in case everything goes wrong coz my other offers are for unis that are for too good for me (damn me and my only maths skills)

For As I have maths, physics, biology, chemistry(then dropped) and ACCC

I resat some papers, inc my looowww E in particle (after a horrendous coughing fit which ended up in my throwing up in the disabled loo across the corridor ) and will be getting my results soon... so I hope for full A level to get ABC and my offers are mainly ABB. Does anyone know of people actually getting a grade less than their conditional but still getting in. Would I have to go through clearing?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.