The Student Room Group

Will you be paying respects to the late Queen Elizabeth II in-person?

Poll

Will you be paying your respects to the late Queen Elizabeth II in-person?

No words can really describe how I feel personally about the passing of Queen Elizabeth II than utterly broken. She was like a grandmother to the nation - it’s just so sad…

With her funeral taking place in approx 9 days time, she will lie in state in Westminster Hall for 3 (or possibly 4) days before she is laid to rest. During these days, Westminster Hall will be open 23 hours per day to allow the public to pay their respects.

I’m from the midlands (near Leicester) and will absolutely be travelling down to pay my respects in person, and suspect that many many more will come from around the world to do so.

God bless, ma’am. May you find eternal peace and love with Philip in heaven.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I also expect that London will be very busy on the day of the funeral itself (at Westminster Abbey).
Unfortunately I'll be in Scotland otherwise I would have considered it.
Yes if I get the chance I’ll go down for the day.
Absolutely not. Nothing like a grandmother to me.
Reply 5
How come you feel that way?
Original post by Master0fReality
Absolutely not. Nothing like a grandmother to me.
She was praised for existing, I don't know what was so special about her
I have no emotional connection to her therefore I won't.
We shall file past the coffin to pay our respects, as we did for Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother.

Original post by JackOobleco
She was praised for existing, I don't know what was so special about her

It's really sad that you can't appreciate why a lifetime of service and dedication to her country above her own personal wants - duty first, self second - makes her so special.
(edited 1 year ago)
Maybe it's a generational (I'm a young black person and many other blacks I've spoken to haven't felt anything of her passing) thing but I don't feel sad she is dead. We all die at the end of the day. To cry for her when I don't know her personally or have felt like I've been touched by her work seems strange and boarding on a level of disrespect for the people who actually knew her. You are crying because she was the queen not because you shared memories of experiences with her. That being said I don't hate her because I didn't know her just didn't know her.
Reply 10
Not a chance.
Original post by Charles III
Unfortunately I'll be in Scotland otherwise I would have considered it.

Mums deid, better head on holiday. Fair play.
No way. I get some people may be a little shocked but I don't understand all the people weeping and chest banging at her death, they didn't even know her for Christ's sake. There's no chance I'm travelling to London, it's busy enough as it is but now it will become one giant, pongy sardine box. Covid's dream come true.
It’s very unlikely. My anxietys been going through the roof lately so I don’t think I can face being in London around crowds of people.
No.
Nah, this may sound insensitive to some and I understand the queen’s importance but I’m not going to put my life on pause.

R.I.P to her though and commiserations to her family, and loved ones.
No. It's a historically significant event, I'll give it that, but it's not as though I knew her personally so I don't feel much about it really.
No, as mentioned on another thread, I am a royal family fan, but not to the extent where I will go and see her in-person. In my opinion, that is a bit too much.
Original post by Son of the Sea
No way. I get some people may be a little shocked but I don't understand all the people weeping and chest banging at her death, they didn't even know her for Christ's sake. There's no chance I'm travelling to London, it's busy enough as it is but now it will become one giant, pongy sardine box. Covid's dream come true.

Because they are silly and disconnected from reality.

The only thing I did during the holiday was being taught how to take the train - am I crying ?! No.

There was also no need to postpone events happening this weekend. How does that do anything ? They should have taken place with measures being taken to show respect to the Queen.

I have head the news on all day and can’t escape them talking about the Queen and how Charles will do as King. This will continue until next week. The Queen had zero personal effect on these people’s lives.
No. Waste of my time. She’s not my Nan.

Quick Reply

Latest