The Student Room Group

Quick question-would appreciate your opinions!

Hey,

I am a mature student, currently studying on an Access to HE course at Birkbeck College, UOL...

I have applied to Harris Manchester college to read Law and so far only received an acknowledgment (like most of us here I guess:smile:)

Anw, my tutor has suggested sending in an updated reference to them sometime next week, before they send out their interview/rejection letters, and asked to me email the admissions tutor at the college to ask whether they would accept it..

So I did and got an email approximately few hours later stating that they would be "very pleased to have an updated reference etc."

I will admit that this has given me (probably false) hope, as I have arrived to the reasoning that if they would have already put my application aside as worthless (a definite no-no in other words), they wouldnt bother asking for that second reference...I know this is just an assumption, maybe even a silly one, but I would love it if people would give me their honest opinions on this...

P.S. You can probably tell I am very very worried over all of this :confused:
Reply 1
Hmm, to be honest, I wouldn't read too much into this if I were you.
Reply 2
But if you don't send it, you'll never know. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?
It's just a polite way of saying "OK, send us the updated reference, then." Don't read anything into it.

DtS
Reply 4
talon1579
But if you don't send it, you'll never know. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

22...will be 23 when starting uni next year (hopefully)
Reply 5
Yeh, if they've said you should send one in... they might think.... 'idiot... or sumin like that' but it wont affect you at all cause its the refernce they're looking at :biggrin:

Jez
Reply 6
Jez_249
Yeh, if they've said you should send one in... they might think.... 'idiot... or sumin like that' but it wont affect you at all cause its the refernce they're looking at :biggrin:

Jez

Ok I will admit I didnt get your point:smile:
Reply 7
You are not exactly ancient!

I do wish you luck with your application. I'm Talon1579's Mum and you are half my age!

To be serious, surely the Uni will appreciate your life experience and you can be more certain about your career path than an 18 year old who hasn't done much yet. They will look at your committment to studying, which you are currently proving by studying on an access course rather than being spoon-fed A levels at school.

Being a little cynical now, I should think that they are more likely to accept you or try to accept you so that your acceptance will increase their numbers of students who have entered Uni by less conventional means i.e. not directly from private schools.

Be positive. I've heard that they don't like arrogance and you don't come over like that either.
Reply 8
talon1579
Being a little cynical now, I should think that they are more likely to accept you or try to accept you so that your acceptance will increase their numbers of students who have entered Uni by less conventional means i.e. not directly from private schools.

As far as I'm aware, Harris Manchester isn't exactly renowned for its massive intake of people "directly from private schools", though.:s-smilie:
Reply 9
I guess I meant Oxbridge in general.
Reply 10
talon1579
I guess I meant Oxbridge in general.

Well, anyway, that in itself won't affect their decision.
Reply 11
talon1579

I do wish you luck with your application. I'm Talon1579's Mum and you are half my age!

To be serious, surely the Uni will appreciate your life experience and you can be more certain about your career path than an 18 year old who hasn't done much yet. They will look at your committment to studying, which you are currently proving by studying on an access course rather than being spoon-fed A levels at school.

Be positive. I've heard that they don't like arrogance and you don't come over like that either.

Thank you for the encouraging words! I really appreciate them, specially at this anxiety filled time of waiting...

Harris Manchester is a mature student college, as you may already know, and that was one of the reasons I applied there in the first place...I am trying to be hopeful, as this is something that I really want to do...However, I am aware that I am competing against many highly intelligent people...That's probably the reason for all the reading between the lines when it comes to admission office emails etc. :smile:
talon1579

eve_22 is actually close to the average age of HMC students: it's a mature students' college (i.e. it's for anyone over 21).

hobnob
As far as I'm aware, Harris Manchester isn't exactly renowned for its massive intake of people "directly from private schools", though.:s-smilie:

^ This. I'd reckon maybe 25% of students here were privately educated.

OP: I wouldn't read anything into it. Best of luck, though. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending