The Student Room Group

Any Bus Drivers? How do you become a Bus driver?

I don't have a driving licence but I will get an automatic driving licence. Can an automatic driving licence be used when training to be a bus driver?

I'm fed up of working and my poor social skills has limited me to basically everything I have ever done. As an introvert, my dream is to be a Bus driver, because i need job security.

I've currently doing a PGCE and my anxiety can not tolerate the lecture hall. I've realised I have degrees, who the **** am i trying to impress??? I just wanna be a bus driver or something and make money. I have accepted I will never have friends again due to my poor social skills, personality and my own weakness.

Any Bus drivers here. This is anonymous because i know im gonna rant about my mental health issues
Original post by Anonymous
I don't have a driving licence but I will get an automatic driving licence. Can an automatic driving licence be used when training to be a bus driver?

The information I can find online (I did a web search for "train as a bus driver" ) says you need a full category B (car) driving licence to start with. There was nothing to indicate that you need a manual car licence.

I'm fed up of working and my poor social skills has limited me to basically everything I have ever done. As an introvert, my dream is to be a Bus driver, because i need job security.

gov.uk has this: https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver

You will need to interact with people as a bus driver, so you will need some social skills.

Your first step might be to enquire with your local bus company. If they're not looking to train up new drivers at the moment, then they might know other bus companies in your region that might be interested.
I think it's typical to do through an apprenticeship. You probably need a clean, full manual license before starting.

Note as a bus driver you would be interacting with passengers constantly.

You may prefer something like tube driver where you don't interact with passengers really at all, except emergency announcements.
Original post by artful_lounger
I think it's typical to do through an apprenticeship. You probably need a clean, full manual license before starting.

Note as a bus driver you would be interacting with passengers constantly.

You may prefer something like tube driver where you don't interact with passengers really at all, except emergency announcements.

It's so bloody difficult to get into tube driving. I'll try though to get more information on how i get into tube driving
Reply 4
Someone I know recently became a bus driver and then moved on to coaches. It’s a very responsible job which needs a really good aptitude for driving, calm nerve and ability to deal with the many things which working with the public throws up. Sadly it seems somewhat poorly paid and needing much better union representation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending