• View Poll Results: ?
    Yes
    60.00%
    No
    40.00%
    other
    0%

ReputationRep:
    I find that I become a different, quite unpleasant person when something political has wound me up. In these situations I would happily watch those who disagree with me suffer a painful death.

I'm sure it's the same for most politicians, If you take away the political ******** then a lot of politicians are probably quite decent people.

I do my best to avoid watching news or debate programs.

ReputationRep:
    same....although possibly not to the extent of wishing death upon people!
    it can be quite embarrassing becoming really argumentative when it's clear everyone else wants you to shut up and talk about football, but overall it's a good character trait to actually be passionate and interested in what you believe.

ReputationRep:
    Admittedly, this is something I can very much understand.

It isn't uncommon I suspect. Nor is it necessarily a sinister thing in and of itself. Simply a frustrated mask for all the problems we believe the nation to be facing, and how powerless we feel relative to them. At least, when introverting, that's how it feels to me.

Politics is a noble endeavour full of ignoble people. If you put your hand down the loo, expect to be covered in ****. :p:

ReputationRep:
    The nature of politics means that if the worst in someone isn't brought up by themselves, it'll be discovered and made public knowledge by a member of the opposing party.

I think the problem with politics isn't that people have bad policies, but their private lives usually hit the headlines. You're more likely to see political sleaze hit the headlines than 'New Lib Dem policy unveiled'

ReputationRep:
    In some people, yeah it does. I for one can't see why someone would actually defend their racist/homophobic/sexist/rampant free market beliefs the way some people do.

But it does bring out the best in some people, like making real change in the world

ReputationRep:
    Politics really does bring out the worst in people.

ReputationRep:
    politics brings out the most facetious in me, which is probably the best

ReputationRep:
    politics is the worst in people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Politics really does bring out the worst in people.
    Cheers for turning up, I'd forgotten all about your lot, and I've edited my post accordingly :cool:

I jest with you Baggy buddy.

ReputationRep:
    "Politics evil twin is war"

^^^ Quote from my politics lecturer today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackpoolCraig)
    The nature of politics means that if the worst in someone isn't brought up by themselves, it'll be discovered and made public knowledge by a member of the opposing party.

I think the problem with politics isn't that people have bad policies, but their private lives usually hit the headlines. You're more likely to see political sleaze hit the headlines than 'New Lib Dem policy unveiled'
    But should public figures be able to keep their private lives out of the public eye? Surely we are entitled to know a little more about those who hold positions of authority in society - if only to decide whether they are fit to remain in office?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    does any1 else think religion brings out the worst as well

ReputationRep:
    Religion has the potential to bring out good, though. I suppose politics does but that rarely if ever happens.

ReputationRep:
    I think it does. Three things people shouldn't talk about is sex, money and politics.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, yeah. When you see people debating about politics it's so obvious there's a very high amount of tension (assuming they have opposing views), and then you think, you're not going to change your mind at all in the near future, so why bother?

'Tis the reason I choose to avoid politics in general...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your stance really. I love passionate debate about stuff that actually matters, its great to have people getting fired up about stuff, even if someone adamently disagrees with me. Discussing football/music is boring.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.

I am thankful that I live in a country where we can actually discuss and have a debate about Politics without being shot or being put in prison.
    Although I may disagree with some posters here it is better that they can discuss and put forward their own views.

ReputationRep:
    It just uncovers them for the scum they often are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ang|ophi|e)
    I think it does. Three things people shouldn't talk about is sex, money and politics.
    There goes everything that i think about.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.