The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I call myself british and my parents wernt born here. I was born here though, and lived here all my life, so im british. Plus i got a british passport which also makes me a brit
Reply 2
I dunno... I probably wouldn't say so, even though I've lived here all my life
If you were born here, lived here all your life and feel British, you can call yourself that.
Reply 4
Nah.
Yes. Why should you be any less of a British citizen if you have been all your life?
Reply 6
The government seems to think its enough, judging by my passport and birth certificate.

Either way, I defiintely think I'm British. I wouldn't fit in at all in my parents' country.
I think so.

If you were born in the UK and have lived here (and most probably been educated here) then I think that counts as British.
Reply 8
If you're born in the UK... regardless of parent nationality.. you're British
Reply 9
Well. I'm definitely British. I was born to two South Africans, who have lived here since 1978. I was born in London and have a British passport. I have lived here for the majority of my life (apart from a stint in Holland when I was very young). I have an RP accent. I identify completely with Britain and not even the slightest with South Africa.

As far as I'm concerned, my parents are South African because they were born in South Africa. If you go to their parents, there are English, Scottish, South African and Dutch ones, so what does that make my parents if it's based on what their parents are? It goes back and back. Ultimately, by that, I think I'm Polish. But I'm not - I'm British. Definitely. :yep:
Reply 10
my parents weren't born here, but are british citizens through living here. I consider myself british since I was born and brought up here despite the fact that my parents weren't! their upbringing may have been different, but i've grown up here.
Yup. My parents are also British citizens through living here, but I was born here and am growing up here. So that makes me British. It'as much my home as someone whose parents were born here.

PS: I also have a certificate saying I am :P but eh, that's pretty useless.
Reply 12
aaloo
The government seems to think its enough, judging by my passport and birth certificate.

Either way, I defiintely think I'm British. I wouldn't fit in at all in my parents' country.

Jez_249
If you're born in the UK... regardless of parent nationality.. you're British

Take my word, they do not. Being born in Britain to foreign parents does not automatically make you British, I know this because my aunty (who is Jamaican) uncleverly (not a word I know) failed to register my cousin as a British citizen when he was born and now, even though he is 17 and has been in this country his whole life, he is not a citizen and is not entitled to a passport. And furthermore, the process and proof needed to register him now is so long and withdrawn that it's beyond ridicule.

I consider myself to be British, with a Jamaican heritage.
Hmm
I dunno.
My mum isn't british, but my dad is technically british.
I'd say I'm English because I live and was born here, but then I'm only 1/4 english :s-smilie:
I don't think there is any objectiveness to being British. Not in a sense that you "belong" to Britain.

If a first-generation immigrant really felt they were British then they should be British but if a son of a son of an immigrant felt more of a connection to their home country they can call themselves whatever the hell they want. Britishness all depends on the person.
Simpsonsmania
Or should you have at least one English/British parent?

I'm like you.
I think whatever your passport says you are, you are.
My passport says I'm British.
My ID card says I'm Italian.
I call myself Italian-Filipino.
Reply 16
It depends on how you feel and what country you associate yourself with.

my mate:
was born in Kenya to a british born farther but with Kenyan parents.
and a Indian mum.

He calls himself British though.
Reply 17
Mine's a bit of weird situation: Have one British parent (who was born, raised and worked there, and whose ancestors have been living in England for hundreds of years) and a non-British parent. Was born in England, but moved to live abroad soon after. So I've never actually lived in the UK, but visit every year, have a British passport, was exposed to British culture when I was growing up, etc.

What makes you British these days is so subjective anyway.
Reply 18
Yes it does. Born British
Yes it does. Your nationality as governed by political boundaries, not your ethnicity. I'm British but I consider myself as a Londoner.

Latest

Trending

Trending