Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

my grades are in my sig and i'm predicted AAAA + A/B in physics.
    so far i've decided i'm applying to:
    bristol- engineering mathematics "AAB"
    edinburgh- mmath "ABB/BBB"
    glasgow- applied maths "BBB/BCC"

my ASs aren't quite as good as my A2 predictions so i'm worried bristol/edinburgh will think i just begged teachers for good predicted grades and tell me to get lost. i also want to apply to sheffield and kings for maths, but both say AAA/AAB which doesn't leave me much of an insurance other than glasgow.
    would i be better applying for say, kings and then somewhere with a standard offer like CCC to be super sure i won't get a big fat load of rejections?

i am applying to irish universities as well, so i really am hedging my bets! paraoid i won't get any offers :shifty:

i've had everything ready for ages, but i just can't decide on my choices?! :woo:

Your predicted grades are pretty strong, and I think that your choices are 'in your league' or however else you want to phrase it.
    Don't be too pessimistic, lots of people get offers when their actual AS's don't match what they are capable of achieving at A2.

Also, Sheffield is probably quite a good option. As far as I'm aware they accepted quite alot of people with AAB this year, and I don't see why it would change by next year.

Yeah, Sheffield is pretty lenient on the whole grades thing - I know people who missed one or two grades from their conditional offers and they were still accepted.

Think positive. Worst comes to worst you'll either go through Extra/Clearing or take a gap year and reapply when you already have your grades making the process a lot easier and smoother! Neither of those prospects are hideous, so what have you got to lose? Apply to universities for courses that you would actually like to study and see what happens.

thanks. found out my predicted grades are actually AAAAA so applied to kcl and sheffield wooopwooop

You're predicted AAAAA and applying to BBB and ABB choices?

Assuming you are doing further maths, you are aiming too low. Even if you end up with a couple of Bs, you'll still have AAA.

Outside of the very top unis for the subject, maths just isn't that competitive. Take, for example, Edinburgh which is a very good uni and ridiculously competitive for subjects like English. Last year they received 899 applications for maths and made offers to 92.4% of them. Only 130 people took up their offers.

You should seriously consider including at least a couple from the likes of UCL, Imperial, Bath & Warwick (you will need STEP for the latter).

I think the mods should move this to the maths forum so that you can get advice from people who have been through the process.

good luck

Yes, you are
How are you feeling about your exams?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.