This discussion is closed.
Mishael
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I work in a cafe / restaurant and the tips policy there is: if you work nights, the tips get split equally between the waitresses and the chefs. If the boss is working he doesn't take a share (as he gets all the profits).

I was working last weekend, it was the end of the night and only me and my boss were left. I saw what each table gave in tips - it was £30 altogether. My boss took the money. As there were three people working that night, I expected a tenner.

But the next day my boss had only left a fiver for each of us. When one of the chefs asked him about it, he said that I was wrong...there had only been £15 tips. So he's nicked off with £15...for some reason, it's not exactly as if he's poor or anything. :mad:

I'm only getting paid £3.85 an hour for this job, so the tips are kind of important to me. Is there anything at all I can do about this? I know he's not actually obliged to give me anything...but accusing me of lying?! :mad:
SciFi25
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mishael)
I work in a cafe / restaurant and the tips policy there is: if you work nights, the tips get split equally between the waitresses and the chefs. If the boss is working he doesn't take a share (as he gets all the profits).

I was working last weekend, it was the end of the night and only me and my boss were left. I saw what each table gave in tips - it was £30 altogether. My boss took the money. As there were three people working that night, I expected a tenner.

But the next day my boss had only left a fiver for each of us. When one of the chefs asked him about it, he said that I was wrong...there had only been £15 tips. So he's nicked off with £15...for some reason, it's not exactly as if he's poor or anything. :mad:

I'm only getting paid £3.85 an hour for this job, so the tips are kind of important to me. Is there anything at all I can do about this? I know he's not actually obliged to give me anything...but accusing me of lying?! :mad:

Formal complaint to the management if its a chain?
pink_lucie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that nearly happened to me on my work experence but im not going to let her get away with taking 30 pounds off me at the end of 2 weeks
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

smash items up to the value of that which was stolen from you. that will therefore decrease the boss's real value share

and then smash something else for good measure.

(do all of the above by accident of course )
SciFi25
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
smash items up to the value of that which was stolen from you. that will therefore decrease the boss's real value share

Sounds like a plan!! lol!
guest1984
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)

dude, thats not good enough, he needs to sleep with his boss's wife!!!

£3.85 sounds like slave labour to me.....i worked in a restuarant back in 2001,.......i got £4 per hour.....and i got free lunch as well :aetsch:
Mishael
Rep:
?
Yup, it is slave labour! But it's so hard to get a job in my town that I can't give it up. I also can't complain to anyone - it isn't a chain, so he's the top man.

Unfortunately I already smash enough things (I'm too clumsy to be a waitress, but most of the time I manage to hide it), so if I started smashing even more they'd probably fire me.

And he isn't married so I can't even sleep with his wife. :p:
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Thats really harsh, maybe you and the other people working that night could go and speak to him about it and if all the staff and chef got involved and threatened to leave he might give you it. Otherwise i dont really see what you can do as he's the boss, but if there's someone higher then him you could speak to them.
john williams
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yup, it is slave labour! But it's so hard to get a job in my town that I can't give it up. I also can't complain to anyone - it isn't a chain, so he's the top man.

Well as your a female you couldnt sleep with his wife, but maybe sleep with him and nick his wallet in the middle of the night
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Unfortunately I already smash enough things (I'm too clumsy to be a waitress, but most of the time I manage to hide it), so if I started smashing even more they'd probably fire me.

Mate, i am at the grand old age of 20, and worked in 3 different jobs........my advice is to get another job......i mean, look out of town, if there isn't any jobs in town ....but then, the travel cost will be a bit steep wouldn't it? :eek:

I wouldn't complaint to him.....'cause like you said, he's the boss,.......the boss RULE......if you complaint to him, he will fire you + give you a bad reference!!!....

just be more sly, like don't work TOO hard, as if anybody does....besides, isn't the minumum wage like £4.50?......
Mishael
Rep:
?
I wish I could get a job out of town... unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere, all the surrounding towns are smaller than the one I live in and the nearest city is an hour by train. :p:

I've had lots of experience of job hunting since I was 14 (I'm 17 now) and I know by now that its virtually impossible to get a job unless you have contacts. I've had 3 jobs since then and I got them all because I knew someone who knew someone...etc. I do get quite a lot in tips - it can range from £30 to £50 a month, so it isn't TOO bad...but it is if my boss is going to start stealing them. :mad:
LPK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
is it only me who read this thread as "the boss stole my lips"?
Mishael
Rep:
?
(Original post by eric bischoff)
He's so stingy that he probably would if he could find a market for them.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's such an unfair way to do tips anyway! The better a waiter you are (quick service, attentive, friendly, hard working) the more tips you earn. It's someone giving money to you PERSONALLY to recognise your hard work. Pooling tips is, IMO, wrong.
Mishael
Rep:
?
But it's such a small place that there is usually only one waiter a night, who would then get all the tips while the chefs wouldn't get anything. And during the day people leave tips in a jar at the till rather than on the table for a waiter, so they get divided up every month between everyone according to the hours they worked.
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Spit in his face.
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
can you take out what he stole from the till or something???
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by chats)
You might as well tell her to rob a bank!!!
ponjavic
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by eric bischoff)
Now I keep gettin it to lips, probably your fault :hmpf:
Mishael
Rep:
?
(Original post by chats)
I can't do that! :eek:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads