Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, hope you can answer my question!
    Well first things first, I'm currently on a gap year and trying to save a little money up. Now i started my job in September and when i received my first pay slip i noticed i was on the BR tax code, so i told the personnel department and i handed in a P46 as i do not have a P45 from my old job. Now the most recent payday my tax code was changed to 603L and my tax basis says WEEK 1. Now i know somethings still up but where do i go now? Do i chase up this P45 from my old job which i really don't want to do as i know how useless they are at the place or do i wait it out? Anyone got any sound advice for me? All help appreciated thank you

ReputationRep:
    What they've done is correct. It should technically say Week 2 and you get a tax refund if you are on PAYE. But 603L is the tax code thats normal personal allowance.

What do you think is wrong exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I think its wrong seeing as though other people at my work have had tax refunds straight into their account after being take off the BR code and their tax code is 609L, but mines still messed up somehow?

ReputationRep:
    603L is the normal tax code which is PA of 6035 per annum.

Whereby you can earn UPTO £6035 per annum without being taxed. Then anything above that upto£20,000 you will be taxed at 20%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabz765)
    I think its wrong seeing as though other people at my work have had tax refunds straight into their account after being take off the BR code and their tax code is 609L, but mines still messed up somehow?
    What %age of deductions were made on your second payslip?

Sometimes, the payroll calculator will merely tax you at a lower rate once you change over to 603L (sometimes, the tax rate might even be negative) and your earnings for that period will be slightly higher...

If you have been taxed at the normal rate, then your rebate hasn't been processed, and you will need to speak to your employers about it because you are entitled to it...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.